My seed just sprouted but theres a problem

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cataclismic, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Alright so I started germinating on Wednesday with the plan of going out Thursday and getting the rest of the equipment. Well I woke up ready to go and was told I had to stay home to pick up my sister on the other side of town. So I hoped it would be okay until today because me and my partner were going to go get the equipment today but it's a big snow storm so I'm not able to go because of the roads. What can I do? Should I just toss the seeds and plan better next time or can I try to keep them okay until monday

2. You might get lucky. I wouldn't toss them. Just be prepared to germinate more seeds (after you get your setup) if you have too.

This is why it is always best to have everything in place before you germinate. Germination should be the final step of the process. But, you already know that. Plan better next time and you will be just fine.

Good luck.

3. yeah no use in trashing them unless its absolutly necessary. Growing is like chess or working for me (im a builder) you always have to be thinking 4 steps ahead of where you are right now. Everything you do now WILL have an effect on what you do later. Just try to think ahead. Always (99% of the time) works for me. You will be waaaaaay more prepared to deal with a problem when it arises if you have anticipated the problem beforehand. Good luck, hope it works out:smoke:

4. so what should I do now?

5. Do you have any equipment? Containers? Soil? Anything?

6. no that was the whole problem mad4reef :p I don't have my soil or lights

7. I know that was your problem. I just didn't know if you had some equipment or nothing at all.

In your case, there isn't much you can do. You'll just have to hope for the best. But please, whatever you do, don't germinate more seeds until you have ALL of your equipment.

Good luck

8. Don't EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER germinate a seed until you are completely prepared.

Germinating is the same thing as starting a timer. The taproot may not come out for several days but could be less than 24 hours. And once it emerges you have 12-24 more hours to get it out of the paper towels.

In your case don't trash the seeds you're working now, there's no downside to keeping them going, just get proper soil ASAP. If the root hairs got entangled in the paper towel because of the delay just cut around as much as possible but if needed you can leave a little bit of paper towel on the root hairs, better to leave the paper towel on than tear the root hair off.

9. Live and learn I guess lol. I wont be able to get out probably till monday because of the snow storm

10. There has to be a way you can keep these suckers alive man. Go chisel up some dirt from outside and let it thaw out in a cup. Put em under a cfl or something until you get proper soil and lights.

11. When I plant the seed tommorow (The tap root is growing rapidly) would I make a deeper whole or..?

12. I guess I just have a bad ass green thumb or something but I routinely leave my seedlings under the paper towel for a week+ after they pop. I leave them till they shed the seed shell completely and they usually have a 4-6" long root before I transplant them to the hydroton.:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Six inch long roots from just water in a paper towel? I'd like to see those pics...

14. Hell I've had seedlings starting on their 3rd nodes before they left the paper towel. As long as you don't let them dry out and keep around 80-85 degrees they'll be just fine. If the roots start poking out just add more paper towels to cover them up. Peace:smoke:

15. I would if I had a camera or had the balls to post pics online. Been growing for 35+yrs and can assure you seedlings need absolutely nothing other than water for the first 2weeks. They already come with enough stored nutes to grow to the 4-5th node. My seedlings are 2weeks old in a drip system with 0ppm ro water and hydroton. Never had any nutes at all and are 4" tall. I will be adding nutes tonight though. You don't have take my word even seeing how I have a phd in botanical science, try it for yourself. If I turn out to be wrong I'll rip up my diploma for you and toss it in the trash. Peace :smoke:

16. does it make it grow faster? Also what about my question?

17. #17 jinn420, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
    I do it so that seedling is strong and vibrant before being transplanted to the hydroton in my drip system. Seedlings can't handle nutes at a early stage and can get nute burn easily. You want to to wait at least 10 days at least before giving them nutes and start off at 1/4 strength. They'll be just fine just keep them separated so their roots don't tangle up with each other and make sure their completely covered with paper towels. Make sure to keep them moist and warm and you'll be A ok, trust me I've germed thousands of seeds since the mid 70's and never even so much as lost a single one that popped(95-100 of my seeds pop open but once in a blue moon one doesn't). Peace:smoke:

18. I'm asking if I make a deeper hole

19. Not sure what you mean, I assumed you were using the seed-towel method for germing. Where are your seeds right now?

20. It sprouted yesterday and is now growing like crazy. I haven't planted it yet