My second "first" grow *pics* -commentary appreciated-

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by pipermike, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Hi all, this is second first grow, the first one I did was shut down early and never got into flowering. My current setup is 2 daylight 2 foot 20 watt fluros at around 1200 lumen each and 1 cool white 20 watt fluro tube at idk what lumen. The plants are about 6 or 7 weeks into veg I believe and about a foot or so tall. They started as bagseed from a bunch of decent shit but I dont know what any of it was and theyre all randomized now. Theyre getting 30-10-10 every time theyre watered and you can see from the thermometer the room is around 60 all the time. I just have a few questions as I'm getting ready to go into flowering...

How much bigger will they get by the time they are ready for harvest?
    Is there anything I should know/do before I switch over to 12/12?
    any other tips/comments are greaty appreciated!

These pics are a little old and the plants are a decent bit bigger now, and those 2 all the way to the right are probably going, theyre just taking up space being small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. It looks like you have 11 plants total. I would say your first problem with trying to flower is pot size. They need probably triple the size pots you have them in now.

They are also gonna need a LOT more light. Your last internode length is pretty stretched already and it's gonna get waaaay longer when you go to 12/12. It's often recommended to use at least 100 watts (true cfl wattage, not equivalent) per plant. Sounds like you have about 60 watts total now. Yes, they will produce some bud with this little light, but your plants are gonna get really tall and stringy and the buds will be very small and not dense at all.

11 plants from non-feminized bagseed will probably get you 4 to 6 females. I wouldn't even think of getting rid of the 2 smaller plants. They could be your only females....that would pretty much suck. I would shoot for at least 500 base watts more for your females, ASAP. Lowes and Home Depot have 100 watt (300w equivalent) soft white cfl's in their security lighting section for about $15 each. Think of it as paying $75 for a quarter pound of good bud. That's a guess at the difference in your current lighting (maybe harvest 1 ounce total from 5 females) and 500 more watts (maybe harvest 5 ounces from 5 females).

Seems like a pretty good $75 investment, huh?
    Not to mention the bud you'll be able to harvest for the next 5 years or so:D

3. Oh and by the way, I dont have the $$ for a nice MH lamp so I'll be flowering under these same lights, I hope to get some more tubes, but we'll see.. I hope this is alright.

4. first of all, thanks for the reply, but I looked and I can't find any of those bulbs you're talking about that have 100 true watts each, could you possibly send a link to them or something? thanks.

5. any cfls will work. the more the merrier. go to walmart and get some 42 watt spiral flouresents or tube flouresents. you can never have to much light just with more light comes more heat which is something else youll have to deal with. your room temps need to be around 85 degrees fereinheit. that is ideal for MJ. get a moisture meter while your at walmart it cost like 5 bucks. your girls look very damp. over watering is bad! only water when your plants are dry. good luck with your grow............

6. Nice! LST that shit!

7. I apologize. I thought my big cfl's were 100 watt base but they are not.:confused: I am using them as supplemental lighting (2 of 'em and 4 26 watt) in addition to a 400watt MH. I too have 11 plants but am only 2 weeks in from seed.

Pic 1 is one of my babies yesterday, and pic 2 is a 65w next to a 26 watt. They're pretty big suckers.....

You're plants look healthy and I just wanna see you get lots of great smoke:smoke:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=96&Ne=4294967294&category=Bright+Effects&N=4294960302+4294953430&Ns=p_product_price|0&sortOp=lowToHigh[/URL]

Attached Files:

8. Plants look nice man! Couple things...you want the temps a little warmer, around 70-75. Probably want to transplant into at least slightly bigger pots before flower. Might be fine if you flip the lights in the near future. They will stretch a bit in the first 2 weeks so make sure you have enough room just in case. The biggest issue seems to be with your lights, I understand the limits of having a small budget but you should consider a few things. Definitely want more light/wattage in flower, and also MJ prefers a warmer spectrum so it would be advantageous to swtich, look for warm or soft white bulbs. Try to get the light closer too, but make sure its still covering all the plants. CFLs are a good way to get alot of light close to the plants for cheap. Read and look around at stickies and people's CFL grows it will give you a good idea about flowering. best of luck