My school paper on the legalization of marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by pablo420, Nov 20, 2010.

1. [FONT=&quot]Legalization of marijuana[/FONT]​
    More than 700,000 people were arrested in the year 2000 for marijuana related offenses, that's second only to Russia. Nine billion of your tax dollars go each year to keep prisons over crowded with cannabis users. If marijuana was legalized and taxed it would produce enough revenue to help get us out of debt. Clearly something has to change

Marijuana has been used for medicinal, recreational, and industrial use as far back as 2727 B.C. Its use was noted in several civilizations throughout history for its medical benefits including India, China, Europe, and the Middle East to treat ailments such as chronic pain and epilepsy. It has far reaching uses in the Americas before its prohibition in 1937. Many of the clothes our nations forefathers would have been woven from hemp fibers. It has been historically recorded that cannabis use was popular during this time period and that George Washington grew and used marijuana. In 1937 Marijuana use was banned in America after a fear campaign by Harry J. Anslinger. The most famous of these propaganda films was “Reefer Madness” in 1936.

There are many myths about marijuana, and most of them have no basis in reality. Myth; Marijuana is addictive, Fact; marijuana has been proven time and time again by scientific studies to be less addictive than caffeine. Myth; Marijuana kills, Fact; there is no single record of a direct death from marijuana. Myth; Marijuana is a gateway drug, Fact; 75% of heavy marijuana users never try harder drugs, and nearly every heavy drug user has tried alcohol and/or tobacco so why are they not considered “Gateway drugs”. Myth; marijuana causes brain damage, Fact; No permanent mental impairments were found in marijuana users. Temporary short term memory loss was only found in daily users, which makes up about 1% of all users.

Have you ever heard the term medical marijuana? It is not a new type of marijuana, it refers to its use for medical purposes. Marijuana has been proven safer than most pharmaceutical drugs and a more efficient pain killer than opiates (morphine, codeine, Vicodin). Cannabis is unique in its ability to treat an amazingly large number of ailments including: Depression, Chronic pain, Epilepsy, Glaucoma, Cancer, severe debilitating anxiety, appetite loss due to chemo therapy, and Migraines.

Marijuana was once estimated to be a larger cash crop than wheat, cotton, and tobacco. Other than its medical/recreational use, hemp from the plant can be used to make bio-fuels, bio-plastic, and fibers for clothing. It takes 50% less chemicals than cotton to produce usable fibers for clothing.

Marijuana has been used for ages, and will continue to be used. We can either legalize it, and make government revenue, or spend money putting law abiding citizens in jail. We can either legalize it, or continue this ridiculous prohibition and keep putting money in the hands of criminals. Clearly something must change

2. It's alright. But add sources

3. okay will do, this is only the rough draft:D

4. Add the real reason why marijuana is illegal and you're golden. Also a few grammatical errors but those are easy enough to spot and fix.

5. I was debating wether or not to write that but i did not want to be labbeled a paranoid concpiracy pothead

6. I hope thats half of the first page for your report. It's good, but it needs to be much much longer, unless its meant to be a short and brief report.

7. It is only supposed to be 1-2 pages typed. it comes out to be about 1 and a quarter pages. I always keep it short and sweet.

8. Fair enough, but the point of a paper is to put up a valid argument. You can't say something should be legal without stating the reason it's illegal in the first place, because everyone thinks its illegal because of all the propaganda messages out there, that it's "bad" for you.

9. For the sources to back up the medical use, click the first link in my sig. "Depression, Chronic pain, Epilepsy, Glaucoma, Cancer, severe debilitating anxiety, appetite loss due to chemo therapy, and Migraines" all have their own sections in my list. :D

Granny :wave:

10. All great ideas thanks. I will put up a copy of the final draft when i get done writing it

11. Thanks for reminding me about Alzheimer totally forgot

12. You should change this line to "morally innocent people." Even if the law is unfair, they're still breaking it. Therefore they're NOT law-abiding.

13. I meant to write otherwise law abiding, thank you for pointing out that

14. [FONT=&quot]Legalization of marijuana[/FONT]​
    More than 700,000 people were arrested in the year 2000 for marijuana related offenses, that's second only to Russia. Nine billion of your tax dollars go each year to keep prisons over crowded with cannabis users. If marijuana was legalized and taxed it would produce enough revenue to help get us out of debt. Clearly something has to change

Marijuana has been used for medicinal, recreational, and industrial use as far back as 2727 B.C. Its use was noted in several civilizations throughout history for its medical benefits including India, China, Europe, and the Middle East to treat ailments such as chronic pain and epilepsy. It has far reaching uses in the Americas before its prohibition in 1937. Many of the clothes our nations forefathers would have been woven from hemp fibers. It has been historically recorded that cannabis use was popular during this time period and that George Washington grew and used marijuana.

One may ask why marijuana was made illegal. You may answer this by saying that scientific studies showed that it was a dangerous drug and needs to be illegal. Unfortunately the real reason was far less noble. William Randolf Hearst who owned a newspaper chain, began a fear campaign using journalism to protect his interests in the timber industry (hemp was poised to replace timber for paper). Similarly, corrupt politicians who had interest in the timber industry would support prohibition. One the most famous propaganda films was “Reefer Madness” in 1936. Marijuana was outlawed in 1937. Unfortunately racism and ignorance played a large part in the banning of the drug:

“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”- Harry J. Anslinger

Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men.”- Harry J. Anslinger

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”- Harry J. Anslinger

“Marihuana makes fiends of boys in thirty days - Hashish goads users to bloodlust.”- William Randolf Hearst

There are many myths about marijuana, and most of them have no basis in reality. Myth; Marijuana is addictive, Fact; marijuana has been proven time and time again by scientific studies to be less addictive than caffeine. Myth; Marijuana kills, Fact; there is no single record of a direct death from marijuana. Myth; Marijuana is a gateway drug, Fact; 75% of heavy marijuana users never try harder drugs, and nearly every heavy drug user has tried alcohol and/or tobacco so why are they not considered “Gateway drugs”. Myth; marijuana causes brain damage, Fact; No permanent mental impairments were found in marijuana users. Temporary short term memory loss was only found in daily users, which makes up about 1% of all users.

Have you ever heard the term medical marijuana? It is not a new type of marijuana; it refers to its use for medical purposes. Marijuana has been proven safer than most pharmaceutical drugs and a more efficient pain killer than opiates (morphine, codeine, Vicodin). Cannabis is unique in its ability to treat an amazingly large number of ailments including: Depression, Chronic pain, Epilepsy, Glaucoma, Cancer, severe debilitating anxiety, appetite loss due to chemo therapy, and Migraines.

Marijuana was once estimated to be a larger cash crop than wheat, cotton, and tobacco. Other than its medical/recreational use, hemp from the plant can be used to make bio-fuels, bio-plastic, and fibers for clothing. It takes 50% less chemicals than cotton to produce usable fibers for clothing.

[FONT=&quot]Marijuana has been used for ages, and will continue to be used. We can either legalize it, and make government revenue, or spend money putting otherwise law abiding citizens in jail. We can either legalize it, or continue this ridiculous prohibition and keep putting money in the hands of criminals. Clearly something must change [/FONT]

15. tl;dr.
    i read a bit, and that sounds legit. :D
    anyone wanna do a tldr for me?

16. #16 Fighter, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
    Is this suppose to be an essay? Whats the criteria for it?

In any case I would point out the logical fallacies in the system regarding cannabis scheduling and prohibition and the intended outcome. You could bring light to cannabis being a schedule I drug explain the criteria needing to be met for a substance in that category and explain how Marinol is schedule III when it is 100% THC.

Another point could be explaining the point of prohibition is to decrease its use and then show the unprecedented increase in drug use once prohibition set in. The fact here is that by prohibiting the substance we are increasing its use when we could be decreasing its use like tobacco with education and regulation.

I would also mention that cannabis wasn't criminalized in 1937, it was taxed "The marihuana Tax Act of 1937". This shows the goal wasn't to ban its use, but to create such a heavy liability to be involved with the substance that no person or business would bother with it since they won't make any money.

It also put the plant under federal control instead of having the population go through the proper channels of banning a substance as they did with alcohol, through the constitution. Alcohol prohibition required an amendment to enact it and an amendment to repeal it, everything after that point did not and was placed under federal control.

I would lean away from regurgitating facts because you will sound like the officers coming in to tell the class not to drugs with their government facts but on the opposite side. If you can structure your paper to make your audience draw their own conclusions it could be much more effective.

I would mention this as well, pretty much voids government opinions on the subject:
    http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/...orization.html