my sativa isnt happy

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by marcusgrowing, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Hi,

Here's the history. I planted a kilimanjaro (100% sativa) seed and it germinated no problem. I vegged it on 24hours and over 3 weeks it grew ok quite bushy up to about 6 inches. Then I switched to 12/12 3 weeks ago and changed the nutrients. ( I'm using passive hydroponics with rockwool and I have other plants in there too which are now flowering nicely ). It's a wardrobe with a pc fan used to ventilate it.

Ok so during the last 3 weeks my indicas have started to flower nicely but the sativa has just stopped growing. It's going nothing. It looks healthy but it's just static.

Possible causes could be that I had soem trouble for a week with a leaky light trap a few weeks ago which is fixed now and also I had some trouble for a few days a few weeks ago when the temp rocketed to over 40 degrees dur to a bad fan arrangement but that is fixed now.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. IS there are problem and is it soluble ?
    2. If the plant wont flower, can i take 4 cuttings and start them with the veg process from the start ?

Thanks.

2. Whats your temps? Sounds like heat stress, what ppm nutes are you feeding it?

3. I agree... also what kind of lights and what brand of nutrients are you using?

4. #4 marcusgrowing, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
    The temperature was ranging from 25-38 degrees near the top of the grow space. It was probably just a little bit lower where the plants are. ( I've just expanded the grow space today, doubling it's size and now the temperature range is peaking at about 36 ) If you think that's much too high then I suppose I should add a second fan.

The light is a 125w (real watts) CFL bought from a grow shop. I have two identical ones except, one is for growth and one for flowering.

The nutrients are liquids from the grow shop. They come as a set of three and you vary the quantities of each one depending on where you are in the cycle of life. ( When the plant was very young it had some yellowing on the tips of some of the lower leaves for a few days so I diluted the nutrient mix to 50% less and the leaves recovered fast. As it got bigger I returned to the normal nutrient levels). The other plants ( one kritical bilbao and two speed devils ) seem to be perfectly happy.

I should add that I think I may have over-pruned all of the plants a bit. I'm quite new to growing and the space at the moment is really really small so I was trying to stop bug fan leaves from blocking the light.

If you want to know specific brand names I can tell you that too.

If it's heat stress, do you think it will recover ?

Thanks for helping.

5. I think you (and Halitzor) have hit it on the head. Temps should be no more than 29 or 30. I have actually had certain strains 'herm' from high heat. Not sure if it will recover, but get you temps under controll first and then see what happens to the girls.

Good Luck!

6. Thanks. I think maybe my sativa is sexually confused.
    I'm going to add another fan sucking air into the growspace to try to get the temperature down. If this plant soesnt deliver the goods at least I've learnt for future strains. I'm very keen to grow a 100% sativa.

7. Ok. The new fan is holding the temperature at 29.5.
    I just read that this is a nice temerature. Do you agree ?
    I'll wait and see if my sad sativa receovers.
    Thanks for the help.

8. I'm updating this thread so anyone reading it can see what happened in the end.
    After about a week of better temperature ( lowered from the unpleasant 40 down to a more healthy 30 ) the sativa is now flowering :)