My room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by DREVS, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Those are 450 watt viparspectras. That’s less than 1g per watt. I haven’t been less than 1.15 per watt since switching to qbs. And I’m not even trying, too many experiments, solo cup challenges and light Reviews. Once I dial in my hempys, 1.75 gs per watt will be attainable. 2g’s per watt if I add supplemental reds and co2

2. You're definitely are going to need more wattage though, atleast a 600w

3. I have not bought a flower light yet. I have a 4” inline fan and filter so I do not stink up the house. So I am looking at all options. Local grow store told me 1000hps would be too hot in that room and even 600 would be pushing it. Wanted to sell me CMH 315 said it would be perfect. But honestly I was going to get 2 viparpectra 600’s and those pull 200 plus watts giving me my 400w number.

4. Honestly don’t get viparspectras. Everyone is disappointed with their bad flowering ability. If you insist on cheap blurple LEDs, get Mars Pro II. Or really look into quantum boards. You can DIY for about $1 per watt or go plug and play for about $2 per watt

5. King Plus LED’s are good quality. It’s not a HPS or quantum but your still gonna get a nice amount of flower.

6. They suck. I have a 1500 watt King Plus collecting dust. No wonder you don’t like LEDs. You have to shop at Grow Light Depot for quality LEDs. Or DIY from quality components sourced from HLG or reputable electronics stores like Mouser, Meanwell Online, or Digikey. None of the amazon $75-150 lights are worth a damn for flower. Some will veg all right though. The light is the single most important investment for quality harvests

7. #27 DREVS, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    I hear ya man and I am scared to buy anything at this point because the options are either super expensive or chinese this or that. My friend wants me to buy a chinese 1000w HPS off amazon for $150.00 Some people like cheap blurple chinese lights and grow good with them others like yourself dislike them in favor or more expensive USA made leds. I have looked at HLG I have looked at California Sun Systems and other COB even CMH. Everyone has a opinion I have read reviews that say they all work about the same as long as you get enough of them to cover your canopy. Viparspectra just seems to be the best of the chinese Amazon stuff. And I am reading Coco for Cannibis and figure Dr. Coco likes them so maybe I would. I want to run LED I prefer to run LED. But I do not want to spend $900.00 when I figure I could do a decent job with $350 worth of lights. My problem is I have zero experience with setting this up. Everyone I know uses 1000W hps and they tell me to just get a 1000w hps. But I would like LED. I have no problem with DIY I have looked at HLG kits I like the 300w kit they have 2 quantum boards. The HLG 550v2 is bad ass but that price tag tho.

8. The best you can do with blurple lights is 1g per watt. That’s if you have 150-200 watts per plant. The efficiency of the quantum boards is what gets them to 1.5-2g’s per watt

9. I have zero grower talent anyway don't you think I should start cheap just in case I fail over and over to the point of just selling it all off?

10. That’s up to you. I’ll have about $1000 worth of lighting that I don’t use anymore. I try to save Others from that mistake.

11. is it just a bunch of random amazon led lights?

12. A couple of those. A T5, tons of T8’s. Here’s my flower room

C54E4612-3CAA-4038-8BF1-8AF32D512E83.jpeg 41E86535-6E73-417D-A746-0072258E1834.jpeg
    2863D04F-7A43-4E6B-B908-1EF9A8420368.jpeg

Veg area next to 55 gallon tote. Auto station under the Mars Pro II 160 and two SP-150’s

A05875CA-A1C1-411C-8C14-D07AA8C964EA.jpeg
    Here’s some older shots so you can see the lights

E5D0D854-DADA-4C16-99BA-B24F37BFC3F8.jpeg
    07063998-409C-4041-98D2-6BA768AFD668.jpeg

13. We talked about this a few weeks ago... I got them for free. I just wanted to try them out for a grow or two. I’ll be switching to a homemade COB or back to HPS next grow. I’ve spent hours on QB’s but there to expensive and I’d like to try out different spectrums for experimental purposes. I’m thinking about doing a custom spectrum 400w COB first which I’ll be making a diary on soon. I understand your love for QB’s I hear tons of good things and I’d love to try them to but I got a few things in mind first. I’m sure I’ll end up with QB’s eventually. My buddy’s a Burple freak and he’s the one who gave me the King’s. He said he’s tried them all and King’s pulled out on top.

14. 1g per watt is too low of a ceiling for me. 2g’s per watt will be the goal once I stop experimenting and dial the hempys in.

I think you’ll find the COBs more expensive than the qbs. I can build qbs for $.80-$1 per watt. With cobs you need a $30 chip, the holder, a reflector, a heatsink, usually some sort of fan for cooling, etc. If you go with cobs, the Crees and Bridgelux are top dog.

15. 2g’s a Watt and ur on to something.... I’d need 1000w for my current room so your saying I could yield 4 pounds? How do you build ur QB’s? I thought you had to buy prebuilt boards and connect the dots from there?

16. @Or_Gro did 2g’s per watt. Over 3 lbs in his 4x4

You need about 40 watts per sf but I go with a little more available power and dim if needed.

I run 12-qb120’s in my 4x4 for about 700 watts and 2 qb96elite in my 2x4 for about 320 watts

Qb288’s require heatsinks and are a bit more intense. Qb120’s and 132’s don’t require heatsinks and I get them within 10” for coverage and penetration. The qb96elites are top dog though

17. youd have to twist my arm... to make me intrested in l.e.d. lights,,, i guess im old school... but i like my h.i.d. light,,true, i like the fact they produce less heat,, but with the right hood, h.i.d. light i.m.o. is a better lumen source.

O.P. i believe with the right hood, you can achieve sucess in that area with one light,you may want to look into this hoood i built, that works perfect for my room. which is bigger than yours,
    ..LETS BUILD A '' PARABOLIC / UMBRELLA HOOD ''

the heat for you is gonna be the main issue,,, if you dont have a solution to that then yes.. id also suggest you go with l.e.d. lights,

18. Qbs put out almost double the lumens of HPS

19. Cmh kills hps now. Hortilux the best and best bulbs.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

20. Hortilux 315 cmh with their added uv bulbs. One penetrates as much as my 1k hps. Clear lighting no more color bars[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk