My Response to "Pros and Cons of Marijuana Legalization"

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by TheKiefChief, Nov 8, 2009.

1. BalancedPolitics.org - Legalization of Marijuana (Pros & Cons, Arguments For and Against)

Here is my response to this article. I just thought I would share because most of the arguments in this article are flawed.

For the YES Column:

1. The drug generally isn't more harmful than alcohol or tobacco if used in moderation.
    -This makes it sound like cannabis can cause the same amount of harm as alcohol or tobacco when, in fact, it is considerably less harmful.

2. Limiting the use of the drug intrudes on personal freedom.
    -This is really not a good argument. There are much more harmful drugs that should stay illegal even though that "intrudes on personal freedom."

4. There are medical benefits such as the those for cancer patients.
    -The number of ailments that cannabis can help is enormous. Cancer is just one of hundreds.

10. Like sex, alcohol, or cigarettes, marijuana is one of life's little pleasures for some people.
    -This statement just disgraces our legalization attempt.

For the NO Column:

1. Marijuana is often used as a stepping-stone drug, leading to heroin, cocaine, or other harder drugs.
    -If legalized, this won't be an issue.

2. Stoned driving and other dangers would be increased. "The lapse in judgment caused by drug use will lead to harder crimes like rape or robbery."
    -While I agree that people should not drive stoned, it is much less dangerous than driving drunk. Also, nobody would consider rape or robbery while high. Marijuana is too calming.

3. Some consider use of the drug as morally wrong. "Many religions and moral codes prohibit the use of intoxicating substances."
    -They don't have to use it. Judaism prohibits the ingestion of pork, but it isn't illegal to eat bacon.

4. Legalization would increase the chances of the drug falling into the hands of kids.
    -Exactly the opposite. It would be more regulated and drug dealers would lose a huge amount of business, reducing their population drastically.

6. Physical damage would be done to users that abuse the drug. "Marijuana abuse has been tied to brain damage, cancer, lung damage, depression, amotivational syndrome, and even death."
    -Please find me one unbiased study that proves any of these. DEATH? Who are you kidding?

7. More widespread use would increase the dangers of secondhand smoke-damage to bystanders.
    -So make it legal to smoke only indoors, and people can use sprays, vaporizers, or edibles outside.

2. lol this whole agruement is complete bullshit. Can cause death? Where did they come up with that one.

3. If you follow the "Reader's comment' link, you'll find it's already been torn to shreds many times over.

4. I read that, but I still felt strongly enough to write my own arguments.

5. Send your response in to the editor. ASAP.

6. Just did. Thanks.

7. "Marijuana abuse has been tied to brain damage, cancer, lung damage, depression, amotivational syndrome, and even death."

FUCKIN' LOL!!! This article needs a disclaimer at the bottom: "Do not take this as fact, this is to be used for comedic purposes only"

8. On number 3 of the no column I would like to add that the Bible doesn't prohibit the use of cannabis. The only thing that makes it morally wrong to biblical based christians is the fact that it is illegal under government law because according to the bible all christians must follow the laws of the land unless it directly conflicts with worshiping God. So as soon as cannabis becomes legal any christian that follows what the bible teaches will accept cannabis and its use as long as people dont put using cannabis b4 worshiping God.

9. This is not a strong argument, to strengthen it instead talk about addictive personalities and how that regardless of legality some people will always chase the thrill. ie BASE jumpers

10. I read the whole thing and was taking him pretty seriously and he seemed to have some decent opinions on the pros of legalizing it, but I literally laughed out loud when he said it caused deaths.

11. I feel ya. +rep

12. To tell you the truth There's only Pros for Marijuana Legalization,No Cons.

13. Your point is correct but so is the other argument. If legalized, pot would be regulated and people wouldn't have to go to a drug dealer to get pot and therefore not being influenced to buy/try other harder drugs.

14. Bias as always, :(.

15. Well the other argument was a simple no. You have an explanation, which though valid, doesn't work because it takes into effect the "gate-way" theory which is as accurate as saying if you eat bread you will end in prison because 100% of prisoners eat bread.

16. #16 Arteezy, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
    The "No" column is full of bullshit. Some of those have nothing to do with the legalization of the drug and the few that do, are lies.

1. Marijuana is often used as a stepping-stone drug, leading to heroin, cocaine, or other harder drugs. The gateway theory has been debunked.

2. Stoned driving and other dangers would be increased. How? If someone is going to smoke and drive they're going to do it whether it's legal or not.

3. Some consider use of the drug as morally wrong. You can't legislate morality effectively (read: prohibition).

4. Legalization would increase the chances of the drug falling into the hands of kids. Blatant lie.

5. Because of drug-related arrests, people who have committed or are likely to commit more \t\t\tserious crimes can be taken off the streets. Yea, those stoners are the ones committing those serious crimes. :rolleyes:

6. Physical damage would be done to users that abuse the drug. Again, what business does the state have in what I do to my own body?

7. More widespread use would increase the dangers of secondhand smoke-damage to bystanders. \tWhat? I doubt stoners would really start blowing smoke at other people even if it was legal. Why would they want to cause a negative encounter while they're high?

17. That whole website looks like something I could have designed in HTML 101. It looks like shit and can't be taken seriously by anyone.

18. All good arguments.