My religion and philosophy....

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by connoisseur, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I just wanted to share something a little bit about myself. I was born into a religion to which i had no choice. i studied Christianity for more than half my life. It has been in recent years that i have come to question things of my faith. I have no hate or ill will towards my faith or for any religion for that matter. i believe, as i have stated before, that everyone is entitled to their beliefs and should be respected as such. I also happen to believe that all humans, at their core, want happiness for themselves and others. We should discuss instead of accusing each other to reach a deeper understanding of others. I believe that diversity is a blessing and should be embraced. Respect, tolerance, understanding and love is what will unite mankind not accusation and persecution. is it not counter productive to condemn someone simply because they believe in a deity or a philosophy different to that of our own?

Buddhists, Hindus, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, and all other faiths i thank you. i thank you for broadening my understanding beyond my own. For you wanting me to be "saved" or "enlightened." i have many friends of many different beliefs and i respect every single one of them and they have shown me the same. We shouldn't blame the whole for the fault of the one. Just my 2 cents.... :D

2. Very true. Thanks for sharing that. :D

3. positivity brings forth positivity,, and the same goes for negativity.

whats your religion though?? jujst questioning the title cuz ive been up all night and im looking for convo.

4. probably the religion he said he studied for half his life

5. oh jesus i love you
    and i love buddha, too
    rama, krishna, guru, dev
    tao te ching and muhammad

why do some people say
    that there is just one way
    to love you, god, and come to you?
    we are all a part of you

you are unnamable
    you are unknowable
    all we have is metaphor
    that's what time and space are for

it's the universal thought,
    you are and you are not,
    you are many, you are one
    never-ending, just begun

-song performed by mason jennings and jack johnson (i think... i'm not certain)

6. That was beautiful. Very Taoist but a Taoist would say it's "nameless" haha

7. The positive and open mindset in this thread makes me quite happy.
    If only the world could be like this.

8. I agree whole heartily.

And nice poem. :D

9. I absolutely love that song!
    And the positivity of this thread.
    People are people are people. Who cares who they worship, or if they choose not to worship at all. Peace, love and understanding. It's really what it's all about!

10. Yea,...i agree, its a beautiful philosophical outlook on life, but it will never be like that. Man is predisposed to be violent, jealous, envious, hateful, and prejudice. You could remove all religions from the face of the earth, and make us all the same color and man would find another reason to hate.

11. Unless we agree to change what we see as our reason for existence, eliminate greed, and begin the proactive construction of paradise for all right here on earth...:smoking:

If humans realize the lies that our society has been based on, which are no longer necessary, and we begin to use truth as guiding principle, rather than fear of darkness, to set our path, then we can begin to make sure that tomorrow is a better day than yesterday was.

We now have a god's perspective on this planet, if we can just learn HOW to use it. And make ourselves the most benevolent of gods, for surely our destiny is to rule here for a very long while.

Viva Humans!

12. That's my kind of dream. And you know what, I think humans are going to be the cause of this change, not the earth or God forcing us. :D
    It's all in us already. Each of us likes to be happy!

13. These things shall be!
    A higher race than ever the world has known shall Rise!
    With the flames of freedom in their souls
    And lights of knowledge in their eyes

They shall be gentle brave and strong
    Spilling no one's blood, yet dare
    All To plant man's lordship firm
    On earth, sea, fire and air.

Nation with nation, hand in hand
    Unarmed we live as comrades, free
    in every heart shall beat the pulse
    Of one...Humanity.

New arts will bloom of loftier mould
    And mightier music shall thrill the skies
    And every life shall be a song
    When all the Earth is Paradise.

This was on a refrigerator magnet at my mom's house, I like it, I don't know where its from...

If you're going to dream, dream big!

14. Man as a whole is incapable of eliminating greed, jealousy and hate, we are still to primitive a creature, and i dont believe man has the capacity to ever fully change.

15. I mean, fully changing would make us inhuman, right?

16. Exactly!:smoke:

17. In-human? Why not Super-human?

Our primitive nature can be overcome with a simple awareness of a different set of possible futures than you have been confronted with.

Imagine no possesions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man...

Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us...
    And the world will live as one.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go all John Lennon on you, but I still believe this, no matter how foolish or unfashionable it becomes.

Call me daft, but I'll die hoping for the change to come for you, as it has come for me already. I'm not done yet, but I've had some amazing realizations about the truth of our purpose, and who we actually are in the universe.

I, too have been to the mountaintop, and have seen a future that I may not live to touch, but the vision was so beautiful, I will never be able to get it out of my head again. Once you have seen through the curtains of the illusion of doom, and understand the difference between the lies that society perpetuates on us, and the true nature of the human purpose, it is not easy to go back to fitting in with the mainstream.

So, I understand why many resist the change, but I am too far gone now...I'm a humanist, and a futurist, and a lover of peace.

So shoot me!

18. I guess if you don't have faith in your own ability to over come those obsticals, you can't have faith in anybody else's ability to transend them.

Yes, there will always be free will; but 'it' is already 'like that', whenever you want it to be. Have faith in your self, and soon you will be able to have faith in others. Love is contagious.

19. You know I was right up on the mountaintop with you. :) Just like everyone else was. Was does not have to be past tense.