My Reef Update

Discussion in 'General' started by Budder81, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Got a new shrimp today, so I took some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the blurry pics, camera phone isn't that great, but all I have.

Will take some more pics when the shrimp is comfy and exploring the tank in better light.

2. That's cool as shit. This may sound silly, but is that real coral in there? Living, breathing coral? Or whatever it is anyway

3. Yeah everything is alive in there. Even the sand is considered "live" since it hosts so many organisms like algae and inverts.

There are 2 frogspawn, 5 mushrooms, 1 finger sea fan, watermelon zooanthids, and other corals that grew out of the rock. When I turn the lights on after being dark, I can see hundreds of 'things' scurry back into crevices.

After smoking a bowl, I can sit for hours looking at the microscopic life that is always moving around and about.

4. Wow that is truly amazing. Nature is sooo beautiful. It really is. Are you planning on adding any fish? And how much did your set up cost?

5. I started this one in Jan of 08, so far I'd say I spent less than 3-400 bucks, most of it for lights, sand, and rock. Corals are cheap if you find local reef clubs, and I don't keep fish in this tank, it is too small. Small fish should be kept in 60 gallon and above (60 is small tank believe it or not).

Discovery channel can't match a reef tank in your living room (if you have a nice setup that is).

After I move in a few months, I will be doing a full blown 60 gallon with all the perks. Protein skimmer, calcium reactor, reverse osmosis filter system, refugium tank, and big $ on corals. This 10 gallon was my practice (since 10 gallon is hardest reef to do, if I can do a 10 well, 60 is nothing, since larger tanks are easier to balance and won't crash with the smallest change in water chemistry).

6. That is definitely an interesting hobby of yours. Kinda makes me want to make one and see it all come together. That must be so cool and rewarding giving your tank life and watching it grow. It's kinda like your playing god, in a way. Ahhh, maybe someday I will find the time and motivation to start one up, but in the meantime, I think I'll just stare at your pics :D

Have you ever been snorkeling or scuba diving? I think it would be absolutely amazing to witness something like your tank on a monumental scale, such as the Great Barrier Reef, teeming with all sorts of life.

Nice job man and hey, when you get your 60gal goin, would you mind informing me?

7. Nice tank, im feeling it. I got a freshwater tank with cichlids, saving up to get a bigger one.

Keep it up dog!!

8. Hey nice reef! I my self have a similar set up. Its considered a nano reef at 12 gals. It's been established now for almost 2 years. I've got one clownfish, two blood shrimps, TONS of zoas (they grow like crazy!), torch coral, frogspawn, and various crabs (scarlet, blue leg, left handed), as well as snails (astrea, bumble bee (amazing algae control), turbo).

Anything over 10g is fine for one fish at least. The best part is watching the blood shrimp clean the clownfish, he loves it.

9. Yeah I'll definitely post pics of the new tank.

This is a very rewarding hobby, and can get as deep as you want in prices, I've seen tanks worth more than luxury cars.

Zoos do grow like crazy. They sprout on rocks away from main place. My frogspawn has grown the most, even sprouting another tiny head near its base.