My poor babies

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MissDankNugs, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Hi, boys and girls. I am new to this forum, so HELLO ALL!!!

Anyway, I am living in Washington State, and recently had a doctor tell me that marijuana would be beneficial to me since I wont take pills for pain managment. So I got my MMJ Card and decided to be little miss horticulture, and well, it was going ok at first but now (about 5 or so weeks in) about 70 percent of my plants are starting to look odd. The nodes are growing close together and the lower leaves are curling downwards and I am getting some yellowing in the middle and other minor discoloration throughout the tops. Now there are 30 percent of them that are just thriving. I have checked the PH, it is at 6.8 to 7.0 and I am growing in a basic soiless mix. I just started giving them 1/4 size dosses of Canna Vega (I think) but to my dismay its not helping. I am growing in a 4' x 6' x 7.5' room, it is completely sealed off with plastic, lined with mylar, and properly vented and exhausted. I am running one (1) 400 watt HPS about 3 feet from plants (they are still kinda small and that light is intense so its higher), and then several 125 watt CFL lights around the corners of garden. They are very close to the plants, I would say 4-5 cm or so. Those CFL's are a 6400k spectrum also. Anyway, I am so lost and dont want to loose my babies. Any help would be great and if pictures will help then I can take some and post. Oh and my room is at about 40 humidity and 80-85*F degrees

2. sorry i have never grown in my life or else id help but
    is ur pic what it looks like? rofl

3. No. I will post some pictures later tonight of them.

4. miss nuggs what' up? I don't know what the problem might be but i know that your answer will be answer. Do you have any pics of those girls? How big are they? What set of leaves are they on?

5. Hi MissDankNugs, welcome to GC AND the Medical MJ community. I too, grow here in WA. for my wife that has MS. It has been hands down, the best medicine for her pain and spasticity. The folks here are very helpful and collectively try to help those that run into problems with their grows/equipment/grow rooms etc.

What are you using for your water? If tap water, is it chlorinated, or well water? If chlorinated, do you let it sit for 24hrs prior to using? Well water can have it's own set of issues.It sounds like there could possibly be an anomaly with your water.......posting pics will help.

Also at 5 weeks in, you could probably be feeding them a little more than 1/4 strength. Under feeding in a soilless mix can cause yellowing due to nutrient deficiencies. A little more info about your soilless mix could be useful. Again, see if you can get some pictures up.

I hope we can help you get it figured out..........chunk

6. #6 MissDankNugs, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
    Thanks Chunk!!

And yes MJ has been very helpful to me aswell, I find it alot more useful than a bottle of pills that one would normally get from his or her doctor. I still need to function in life and taking pain medication makes me way groggy, and not safe to drive, work, yada yada. So yes I love that I can get my MJ! Anyway here are some pics. I am using tap water, that has been sitting out for 5-7 days. I was using well water when they were much smaller, but now its stale tap water. Also I have them some carbonated water thinking that the co2 would help, I only did this once and it was like a half watering on each.

I dont know much about my soil (this could be my issue) I know that it was and still is a 7 on the PH, it was like $4.50 a cubic foot, and it came from a local nursery.. I am going to get much better soil next time around, any suggestions for an easy to work with mix for a begginer?

As you can see, most my garden looks like this. I have plants that are thriving and ones that are not, and doing the same to all.. So ya, let me know

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      131.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      167.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      135.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      119.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Also, I am confused on one thing.. I thought a "soil less" medium is one that has no nutrients, like a nute free soil. But I always see it used when talking about hydroponics. Maybe I am misled, so if thats the case, someone steer me the right way please.

THANKS!!

8. DO NOT use carbonated water to water your soil.......roots need OXYGEN, while the leaves use co2 in the photosynthesis process. Carbonated water could effectively asphyxiate your plants. It is important to have a well drained soil medium.

Generally speaking, a "soilless" medium would be perlite. vermiculite, peat, coco coir, and combinations thereof. Also gravel, Hydroton (clay pebbles), rockwool,sand and hygromite would fall into that category. Essentially, a soilless medium would have inert substances in them that offer no nutrients to the plant. Once you take a conventional soilless medium and add composts, manures, worm casts, different varieties of meals(alfalfa, kelp, fish, cottonseed, bone, blood and the list goes on) you've created a SOIL that has nutritional value.

When using a soilless medium, the plant needs to be fed all of the macro (N-P-K) and micro (Ca,Mg,Mn,Zn,Fe,Cu.Mo, and other) nutrients in order to thrive, and usually on an ongoing basis. With a soil that has nutrional components, you can feed lightly, then water two or three times before feeding again.

After looking at your plants, and the medium, I'm guessing that you're using a soil. There looks to be bark, perlite, maybe some peat or coco, and sand, but that's just from looking at the pics. Do you know the name of the soil mix? It appears to me that the plants need a little more nutrition. There isn't any burning, mostly what looks like a deficiency. I think I would try to feed them next time at 1/2 strength and see if they regain some color, and if they start greening up, move up yet again. They certainly don't look like they are doomed........Another question, pic number 2 of 4 looks like it has a slight droop. Are you watering regularly, or only when the plants are dry? The emerging new growth looks pretty good on 3 of the four plants, number three looks like it needs the most help, unless it's just the light.

Anyways, keep us updated on your progress, and hopefully some of our other members may have some helpful input......................chunk

9. #9 MissDankNugs, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks! Well I water when the pots feel light. About every 4-5 days, then I soak them good. At first I think I was over-watering almost everyday.

I will bump up the nutes and see what happens.

Again on the soil, I believe the bags said like "Country Farm", but they are all disposed of. I now have a bunch of sunshine soil mix that I am going to use next go around.

And as for that pic, it was a bad capture, it definitely is one of the most damaged but it was just the light of the HPS hue. They all seem to be showing lightish yellowy green to them

10. You can lift them ???

[​IMG]

11. Yes, they are only in 3 gallon pots, a gallon for every month I am gonna have them.. I am not raising mothers here, so I dont use a giant pot (thats just bad use of space)

12. I regualted the range in temp change during the night (now its 65*)

They seem much happier. Growing with tight nodes and starting to get better color.

I am going to add full strength nutes today and see how they feel in a couple of days.

They all look alot better, except for one, it still has not gained its 4th and 5th leaf on any of the sets, the leaves are super fat, and growing all odd, almost like it is my little handicapped plant.

Anyway, I will let you know what happens, if the nutes change anything.

THANKS!!