My plants seem sad.. not sure why.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Grin420, Dec 29, 2013.

1. What type of medium; soil or hydro? - Soil
    What brand and type of soil? - Fox Farms Happy Frog
    Indoors or outdoors? - Indoors
    What strain? MK Ultra, White Widow, Hawaiian Snow.
    How old are the plants? 3 weeks 3 days from seed.
    What type of lights and how many watts? 400w MH
    How far from the lights? Was 18" just now raised to around 20".
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? Everytime the soil dries up I water with Ph'd tap water.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? No feeding yet.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? Haven't checked yet.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Probably ranging from 73-78 not sure about humidity.
    What size pots? Solo cups
    Any bugs? Look real close. no
    Any other pertinent info? no

Ok so these plants are seeming really droopy. I know it's not a watering issue because i watered thursday (3 days ago) and the middle of the soil is moist.

some background on each plant..

MK Ultra
    My dog bit the leaf of the MK ultra and licked and knocked it over close to a week ago so that's why she seems pretty beat up, but it recovered well from that despite the damaged leafs.

Hawaiian Snow
    During a little lst where I attempted to tie her down a bit i snapped the main stem pretty bad. It was only hanging on by a little bit of skin. Within the first minute it was shriveling up and dying lucky my girlfriend was able to stake it up and kinda reattach the stem and it has been recovering nicely (this happened yesterday morning) so I guess i accidentally super cropped. Also i know why this plant looks a little droopy still obv because the super crop.

White Widow
    Not much really to happened to this one other than it was a slow starter but it's caught up nicely.

All the plants have been through some more stress too. >.<
    Early on when I switched from my t5 to my MH the timer was fucked up and messed up their lighting schedule for a few days, and i had some early on ph issues stunting their growth

Ok so what I want to know is
    1. Why do they seem so droopy to you? They recovered well from the stress, but in the last day they seem sad. Could it be i had my light about 18" away? Was it light stress? Just before posting this I moved it a little above 20".
    2. How do my plants look or their age, and considering the stress they've been through.

Thanks for any help.

First picture is MK Ultra Second is WW last 2 Hawaiian Snow image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Didn't read all the original post, looked at one pic... get those girls OUT of those cups into their substrate 10 minutes ago, then come back if no improvement.

3. Are you saying i need to transplant them? Because my 5 Gal pots came in today.

4. You should never transplant small plants into large pots, how are you going to check run-off ph for plant health. You should go to 6" pots first, grow them, and transfer to 5 gallon later.

5. BTW: I'm not saying go from six inch pots to five gallon; the rule of thumb on house plants is to pot-up 2/3 inches greater in width each transplant, in other words, after you've grow her in the six, go to 2/3 gallon, then to five last.

6. Will it hurt them to go from solo cup to 5gal? cause that was the plan, i've heard of people doing it with no problems.

7. so you think it would be fine to transplant straight from solo cup to 5 gal?

8. you can do this but you're taking away the certainty of a solid rootball. the smaller cups being transplanted to slightly bigger cups stimulate the rootball.... which can really make a difference in yield.

9. I think i'll just transplant straight to the 5 gal this time around, next grow work my way up. Any body have any idea why this plant seems so sad?

10. I think i'll just transplant straight to the 5 gal this time around, next grow work my way up. Any body have any idea why this plant seems so sad?

If you can go with a "good" organic substrate that controls ph, yes, but lots of folks don't like FFOF... I've seen members here with various problems using FF products.

You do what you want, it your girls, I'm only here to help.

Yea, why do you think I told you to get those girls out of those cups, they've used up the nutrients and will be rootbound.

14. if you haven't checked into your tap water, it may be heavy on dissolved solids which could be causing a pH problem. looks like overwatering to me but you say you let the soil dry out so i guess my suggestion is to transplant. you can get away with transplanting from solo's into a 5 gallon, just make sure not to over water or the roots won't have a chance. 

15. #17 AugustWest, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
    ffof is totally fine for your plants.. used it for years and never once was there any issues.
    people who have problems with ffof usually add too much bottled nutrients, and then are quick to blame the soil.

your plant is sad because it needs a larger pot like the others mentioned..

you'll be fine transplanting into your 5 gal if that's your only option..
    but something like a 1 gal would be better ton control your watering.

also do not transplant when the soil is dry, it's harder to get out of the container.. it should be moist but not soaking wet.
    as far as worrying about checking PH runoff..
    if what you add is PH'd properly every time, and you don't overfeed them and allow salts to build up then you won't ever have to check your runoff.

Great advice ^^^^

17. Stick em in the 5's. Just don't over water.

I have to agree with @[member="АugustWest"], I've never used FF products, but logic dictates to my mind that he's absolutely right, to many folks to quick to add salts. Most ALL that come into the infirmary are noobs with those type issues.