My plants are sick after transplant (2-3 weeks)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by SecretPhone428, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Sorry for long thread. Please dont tldr!
    So my plants were growing slow from lack of light, and they were growing out of their containers. So I transplanted them, and got a 100w supplemental light (gets sun from a south facing window and a west facing window. A few hours of direct, desert(uv 8/10) sun a day and its been ~80 and 30% humidity recently.
    They started growing fast and happy but now their stems are purple and they have rust spots, they are still no longer growth stunted.
    I tested the PH of the water im using and the runoff, tested high (7.2-7.8 as well as 800+ppm on calcium, though according to my dad, weed plants in this soil like Epsom salt) [today]
    I'm hoping its just PH, but someone tells me the soil is too compact?
    4 just revealing themselves female, but I'm afraid if the issue started after transplant, it will continue and get worse.
    Also, since there are leaf miners they may be causing troubles, but the plants are still young, can I use this stuff on them? Or should non-natural pesticides be a last resort even pre flowering?

How long has this problem been going on?
    3-4 days
    What STRAIN are you growing?
    Jack H, Pink lemonade, and I'm not sure the other one. Mostly jack H
    What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) seed
    What is the age of your plants? 8-10 weeks
    How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 2-3 weeks. Just started taking off about a week ago.
    Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before? Relatively, maybe a bit less potting soil.
    How Tall are the plants? 2 are 9 inches, the rest are ~13
    What size pots are you using? Varies, 1 per pot ~1 gallon
    What brand Nutrient's are you using? None.
    What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? About 7.2-7.8 I adjusted it today to 6.2
    How often are you testing pH/ppm/EC/TDS? Today
    What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? Pool strips
    How often are you watering? When soil is barely damp a half finger length down.
    What size bulb are you using? 100w led
    How old is your bulbs? New
    What is the distance to the canopy? 18 inches, it was 13 inches when I noticed this, I pulled back it hasn't improved.
    What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) ~30 during day, 50% during night
    What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 30-40 degrees fluctuation. current 40-80f
    What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
    windows open, overhead fan, and direct fan that I turn low some days and beat the plants every few days.
    Is the fan blowing directly at plants? 1 is.
    Is your water HARD or SOFT? Inbetween, usually softer.
    What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? Softened tap
    If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen) calcium ppm? 0-100 on the ph strip,
    Are you using water from a water softener?
    Yes. Its an old one, though
    Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? A few have, but even the ones who havent are sad
    Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? None yet. I'm thinking of it because of the leaf miners, and they are young enough for me to be able to use a larger range of pesticides.
    Are plant's infected with pest's? Yes leaf miners.
    and (this soil is, by far, the loosest. Just for reference.)

2. Need better aeration for sure! Add 25% perlite

3. So... transplant them again?
    I transplanted from peat pots (took the peat away). Until they are older, I'm scared I will kill them. In fact, I guarantee if I try to transplant them ill kill off a good 25% of the roots at least.

I am in way too far over my head, as I am in literally everything I do. I should just give up :/ Already killed 12 seedlings last year. These plants aren't going to last much longer if I dont resolve this, but I dont think I can without killing them.

4. Id add some good soil and perlite for drainage....they may need a bigger pot u should try fabric pot btw

5. I really dont think I can safely transplant them yet. Maybe someone who isn't a flaming idiot who has a talent for ruining things, but not me, I guarantee damage their roots too much and kill them.
    I guess if they get worse ill try to transplant them but at this point im assuming I have killed them. Ill keep taking care of them until then, but I'm assuming they will get worse,ill try to transplant, and fail.

6. Well, I transplanted with perrilite (most of them, waiting for the others to get big enough for the next size pot, they aren't unhealthy after I adjusted the PH) but I'm not sure I actually managed to loosen the soil, in fact I may have made it worse. Its hard to tell with the old rootballs compact soil preventing me from digging under it, only a little around it.

And my male that I was gonna keep took the transplant terribly and I'm not sure hes going to make it.
    A female of mine is struggling after transplant, I think I bullied her roots quite a bit.
    The one that recovered fastest I had washed the soil away from the pot (soil too compact for dry-moist transplant)

7. I get rust spots when my soil goes hydrophobic and purple stems could be a sign of something but some strains i grew did that anyways. 1 gallon is usually to small for a straight soil grow and that sand has way to low of ph at 4.5-5.5. Shouldnt need to ph 7-8 water for soil