My plants are getting too big! Eek! help...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Renaldo, Mar 8, 2010.

1. So I was not prepared for how fast my plants would grow in flowering.

IDK what I thought when people said they would double in size during flowering, but just seeing what they've grown in the first three days, I'm scared that they are going to out grow the box.

Is there anything I can do at this point?

Could I put a scrog screen in and bend the tops over, keep vining it through the screen to stop upward growth?

One plant might be coming out - it might be male - so that will reduce the side crowding, but I'm locked in to 4' of height, my plants are 3" or so from the lights, and I can only move them up another 2", so 6" max more height will be into the bulbs.

Or am I being alarmist? Will they stop putting on height soon.

[​IMG]

2. Hey Renaldo, howz it goin bro?
    Lookin good man. Its time to start some bending and tying. Too late for ScrOG and LST.
    Grab those big side branches with the fans on them and tie them down to the side of the pots or something. For the tops, you could either top them right off to get more lateral growth or you could FIM them. Hope this helps. Thats really your only choices. Cheers.
    :smoking:

3. i had good experience topping when i was in a situation pretty much exactly like yours. it definitely encouraged lateral growth as the above poster mentioned

4. One of the plants I have been fimming. It's worked well, I guess, but I was just kind of doing it to do it. Just to learn various techniques on my first grow.

About 1/2 of the way up the height of the plant, it splits into two main stems, then another 1/4 of the way up those both split.

If that makes sense.

Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can I put a screen right above the first split node on this one.

I think I can put the four main branches out to the sides and bring the longer lower branches up through the center.

Is that a good plan for that one?

I'll get to tying those other ones down tomorrow. I agree there doesn't seem to be much else I can do with them.

5. I really feel that if u were to bend those couple branches, and then FIM once more,
    that could do it. If u bend those branches down, and then fim the sites closest to the new space, youre in business man. It will fill in with new growth tips very nicely. Remember,
    if you just decide to TOP, it will still yield you the same amount of bud sites, just in a different arrangement. "Do you know what I mean?" - (Butters - south park).
    :smoking:

6. I would flower that sativa now before it gets 8 ft tall.