My plant has little brown spots a 5-6 days after sprouting - detailed PICS

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by icapture, May 30, 2009.

1. Here is my plant this afternoon a little less than a week after sprouting. It is in a cabinet with 4-5 60W lights hanging about 18-20 inches away and a constant temperature of around 78, humidity 50-60%

I have seen some little brown spots on the end of the leaves, just curious if this is something i should be concerned about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was her 2 days ago, i know shes going slow, but i had it under a lighting schedule 18on/6off until today - i had another seed trying to sprout but it never did, its dead :(
    [​IMG]

2. i see you put 4-5 60w lights.. but what TYPE of lights?

3. #3 The Green Man, May 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2009
    Dude that thing is stretching like crazy. You need to fix that asap. Get the lights closer, Im guessing you have cfls. If thats the case put them like an inch or 2 inchs away from the sprout. Cfls generate so little heat you don't have to worry about burning your plants, unless they touch the bulb. Also put more soil in that container and bury the stem. Make sure you have some lights that are around 5500k. Without blue light a plant will also stretch.

Putting a fan on your plant will also help, as the breeze will help strengthen the stem, just don't blast her lol. For a really young plant like that don't even point the fan on it yet, just get a little breeze flowing through your grow room.

4. I am using CFL's

Greenman, thanks for the info. I thought it was a little odd how tall she was getting, yet her leaves weren't getting any bigger.

5. yeah he pretty much nailed it. get the bulbs 2-3 inches away, and get a fan on the bulbs/plants to get the heat off. should be good. remember not to overwater as well

6. I did the same thing, I was all wow its a 6 inches tall. Showed it to my friend and I thought it was doing good and he was all thats pretty bad lol. A good sign of its progress is not how tall it gets, but how much and how green the growth is, I mean leaves and whatnot.

7. Well, I threw in some more soil to submerge some of the stem, then I went out to Target and bought a little personal fan. I will mount the fan on the side of the box, but for now I've just put it in the pot next to the plant. The seed that WAS in there didnt want to grow, so im germinating another one in my closet right now. When its ready I will transplant it into the pot and mount the fan on the wall or something.

PICS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. I would actually still add more soil lol. I would bury the stem to about 1/2'' from the top. Im guessing thats the container its going to be in for its life. When you plant something you want to put soil almost all the way to the top, that way you make the most out of your container. Eventually the stem you buried will start growing roots.

9. Oh yea those all look like 2700k lights to me. I would suggest getting 1 or 2 cfls that are around 5500k. Without some blue light plants will tend to stretch more.

10. #10 icapture, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
    Greenman, those were 2400k lights. I went out today and bought 4 5600k CFL lights. Here are some pics of the new lights, the new soil level (which I think I have to add more because I see you were saying .5" from the leaves. The last picture is a good reference of the soil level. I think in some of the others I hadn't put more soil in) and the new growth of the plant. She looked a lot bigger today.

Looking nice and green though!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really am loving this new camera!

11. Thats actually good enough. Now just sit back and wait to be amazed cause shes going to start bushing out now. +reps on the upgrades. Good luck on the grow icapture, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up, peace bro. :smoking: