My Plans On Starting a Micro Grow!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Jesuz, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Hey everyone! I have been thinking a lot lately about possibly starting a micro grow. My idea was to build a grow box (suggestions on dimensions?) out of cut down 2x4s and plywood with the inside either covered with flat (no wrinkles) tin foil, or I can spray paint the inside white. I was going to have 1 or 2 maybe 3 or more if better, cfls hanging from the top. I will put in 1 or 2 small fans either from my broken xbox or a computer, or I could pick some up from a local place. I wont be using nutrients either. Just purified water.

I am not looking for a huge harvest. Just one small small SMALL plant that will get a bit of nice buds.

I am looking for tips and things that would aid me in setting this up.

I will also want some plans on maybe topping? Times for veg until flowering etc etc. My idea would probably be veg for 2 or so weeks, top it or lst it with elastic and bush it out.

A bushier plant would be better than a taller plant for me for space purposes.

A heads up! I have A LOT of space outside around my parents house I could probably grow. Could I keep 4 or 5 plants really short while growing them in pots outside? I really just want to veg for a little then straight to flowering. I know it sounds stupid but its for a few reasons.

So what do you guys have to say? :)

2. Would a big plastic tub painted white on the inside be a better choice?

3. No one can offer any advice? ):

4. Paint it black, then white

Foil sucks

Training is a personal opinion on how you wish to grow, consider no training or low stress training like tying

Start a journal, I'll read it

5. Don't bump your thread in less than 24 hours, if its not against the rulz, it should be

6. Sorry about that. And sounds good. So should I build one or use the tub? Once everything is set up I will start a grow journal :)

Any tips on lighting times? Ive heard starting 12/12 straight from seed will get pretty good results. What would you say?

7. im not a huge fan of 12/12 from seed... two week minimum of the correct spectrum for veg is the least i would do

xbox computer fans don't create alot of pressure.. your going to be better using a ten dollar purchased fan with a large CFM rating and a power supply from radio shack

you never said, Soil grow? CoCo? gotta lay things out

what about using a large computer case? like a tower... little more stealthy and there's loads of pages of people doing this in the micro section.. might wanna check that out and just follow someone elses example

8. I will be using soil and alright 2 weeks of veg is fine. I dont have a computer case available to use so I guess thats a no go lol

9. Go to the micro grow section bro, a tub would work fine, how about you give us your dimensions and we give u a set up... much easier that way.

You have 2 options flat white paint or emergency blankets white paint is more reflective but the blanket is cheaper, your choice.

Lights, at least 3 soft white 23watt cfls and at least 3 bright white/daylight cfls, they are the 100watt equivalent ones.

Trimming, really 2 options here topping or lst, I would go lst if I were you less strain on the plant and prolly a little more simple just tie it down lol.

Ventilation, easy enough concept you want more air going out the in keep a negative pressure in the grow chamber it makes scent control easier, I would recommend cutting a hole in your box and simply mount a computer fan where the hole is. Or if a computer fan isn't an option get a small desk fan take the front face off of it and mount some flexible drier duct on the front then run that out through the hole.

Scent control, one of the most overlooked aspects. With a micro grow you have one option, that is to make or buy a carbon filter. I would recommend making one out of a cut to fit carbon/charcoal air cleaning pre filter, or getting some activated carbon from petsmart and ghetto rigging one out of a couple cans duct tape and pantyhose. Either will suffice.

Soil/nutrients really don't be an idiot here spend 10 bucks get some porting mix and some miracle grow at least. All of your fertilizers will have either 3 numbers or 3 numbers with letters this is important they are the elements nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. N P K you want a fertilizer high in nitrogen for planting/vegging and a fertilizer high in potassium and phosphorus for flowering. And with a micro grow the smallest little bottles will go a long way. If for some reason your set on just soil fork out a lil more money and get a nice porting soil with nutrients in it.

Seeds, 3 options, bagseed, mixed seed and hemmed seeds, if I were you I would just order a fem seed from the internet with the others you only have a 50/50 shot at producing any bud. If ur using bagseed or mixed seed just plant to seeds in separate pots.

Sexing, if you chose bagseed your gonna want to know how to sex the plants, if you go a full 4 weeks of veg you can try and sex the plants preflowering however not a good choice unless you know what your doing. The signs of gender will come in the first 2 weeks of your flowering schedule females will have little nodes with 2 pistols/hairs growing up these will start at the top of your main stem and at the main stalks internodes (where branches come off the main stem. Males will have little balls and spikes that develop ant the main stalks internodes they kinda grow more down then up imo, kill the male right away unless you plan on breeding or harvesting for hash, as the male plants only produce a tiny amount of cannabinoids man's thc.

Grow schedule. Germanate seeds 1-3 days in the bottom of a small cup with a very small amount of water the seed should not be more then half covered with the water, once the seed sprouts I.e shows its root tip you gently pull out of the cup with a sweeter and plant the seed under a bit of soil 1/2 inch or so, make sure and put the root tip facing down and wait for it to sprout. Now its veg time, min 2 weeks for the root system to develop. Now flowering anywhere from 7 weeks to 6 months depending on strain, most indica heavy strand flower in 7-10 weeks only rare sativa breeds take up to 6 months. That is another benefit to buying seeds, you know what you have.

Lighting schedule, veg minimum 18hrs of light, however many run it 24hrs a day, the plant at this point is feeding off of a hot light spectrum 6500kelvin which is obtained with a metal hallide light bulb and ballast or a bright white/daylight cfl. You usually veg for 4 weeks once the plant develops roots however that process is cut short in micro grows and SOG set ups. Flowering, you now change the lights to a 12/12 schedule and the plants are now feeding off a cool light spectrum 3500kelvin this spectrum is obtained through a high pressure sodium bulb and ballast or through soft/cool white cfls and flourescent light bulbs. Make sure once you set the lights to flower that the light cycle is not interrupted in any way.

I think that should be helpful.