My philosophy on homeless people.

Discussion in 'General' started by iryad, Oct 30, 2007.

1. This is kind of a touchy topic for me, let me explain:

I would have absolutely no problem giving away some of my money for someone in need.
    But before I give away anything, i always think about what they will do with my money. If they will use it on alcohol then most likely I won't give it to them. Because a bum shouldn't be drinking, i know it's harsh, but honestly, if you're a bum, and people trust you with their money, you shouldn't waste other peoples money on drinking, or drugs. Anyone agree with me?

But the hard thing is you don't know what they'll do with your hard-earned money, so you should never assume, or judge anyone before you know them.

Also, I've never really looked into the statistics of homeless people, and i hope you guys don't take this harshly or in the wrong manner. but this is my philosophy on homeless people: This is America, the land of opportunity. I don't understand how you can't get a job in this country, especially big chains such as walmart, mcdonalds, etc... I honestly can't comprehend how someone can have no money, and have no other choice but to live on the street. For example, I work at Fry's Food and drug store, in the produce department, I get paid 8.30 an hour, i work about 25 hours a week, that gives me a 180 dollar paycheck every week. That's 720 (already deducting tax) a month. Now I know a lot of apartments that are 800-1000 a month (including water, electricity, and phone). All you need is a roommate, or maybe even two, and life won't be that hard on you. I know you still have to take other considerations such as a car, and gas, food, etc... But if you have 3 roommates, and say all three of you work minimum wage (6.75/hour, with 40 hours a week each) and you all pay equally for a 1000 dollar/month apartment that gives all three (combined) of you a 3,400 dollar monthly income, 2,400+ over the rent of the apartment. I got my car for 4,000, and i know you can get cars MUCH cheaper these days. And food isn't really that expensive really.

But maybe i'm missing something, if i am, please let me know. I still live with my parents, so i'm not 100% sure on how renting an apartment and living with roommates actually works. if i am missing something, please let me know!

Again, I hope people don't take this the wrong way on how I view the homeless. I don't look at a homeless guy and say, "I'm not giving you my money, you don't work, etc... etc... etc...", i would never do such a thing.

But do you guys agree/disagree?

2. thats why I either get them some food or every once in awhile if I meet a true-hearted bum, I'll buy them a cheap room for them to get a good shower and nice bed to sleep in.

3. First of all, money issues look much more intimidating when you move out of your parent's house. It's YOUR burden at that point, and that makes a big difference.

Secondly, job availability varies from place to place. In some places, you can't get a job as easily as others. Where I live, most people who get jobs get them through mutual friends... and a lot of those are in church. :mad:

Next, some people just have trouble with life. Maybe they naturally clash with a lot of other people. Maybe they have a harsh addiction. Trust me, when you are on crack cocaine, and you can either buy food or a quick fix, the expired meat in the grocery store dumpster is a VERY viable option. (I've known people personallly who have dumpster dived for a living)

Don't forget that a lot of landlords and employers require credit checks before they'll consider someone. Now, with all of that bullshit, some people honestly live life easier through the kindness of strangers and acquaintances, instead of dealing with the bullshit system America has. Statistically, people with money develop greed, and desire to hold the lower classes down. And the people with money are the ones who do the hiring and leasing of apartments.

4. Alot of the time they cant find work is due to their mental health issues..ever see that dude yelling on the corner? Hes not doing that for shits and giggles.

5. Homeless people are the best. They know what struggle is. I KNOW bums will mot likely use my spange for a brew or crack, FUCK IT!!! I don't give a fuck let em get the temporary pleasure of having a nice cold one.

6. as someone who has been homeless, i'd like to point out that alcohol is the only thing that allows a lot of these guys to live with themselves

7. You dont understand it because you've never been faced with it.

Most people arent homeless because they choose to be. Would you choose to live on the streets, begging for change, sleeping in in filth, eating/using someones trash, etc?

I can assure you that it isnt all that easy (as a homeless person) to walk into a buisness, having no money, no resume or references, probably little to no education, flithy and stinking, clothes dirty as hell, and expect anyone to give you a job.

I like this country, but im tired of these American slogans like "the land of opportunity" or "the land of the free". The truth of the matter is that there are a lot of places out there that have more "freedom" than America, likewise with the "opportunity". This is a country on the downslope to something horrible, meanwhile we blindly scream "America's #1" the whole way down.

Like I said, I like this country...but not because I think "we're #1". Its because I can walk down the street (at least in my neck of the woods) and not have to fear someone blowing themselves up 10 feet away or taking a bullet to the head in the name of Jesus.

However, the fact that we're willing to spend billions and billions and billions of dollars in Iraq, as opposed to spending that money in our OWN country to help our OWN people makes me sick. The government is a fucking joke. We can spend all that money on war, but god forbid we spend it on getting our own people off the streets and providing more jobs in this country.

8. Around here at least, most homeless people are homeless because they're drug addicts or alcoholics. I realize generalizing can be wrong, but I usually don't give them money for this reason. They need to figure out how to make money legitimately instead of just begging people for it and then spending it to feed their addiction. Don't get me wrong, there are some homeless people who are down to earth and fairly intelligent people, but those are rare. I don't have a problem giving money to someone who presents themselves as a somewhat normal person, but I do have a problem giving money to someone who is obviously an addict and not trying to better their life in any way. Sometimes it's not easy to tell the difference though.