my percolator does not work =[

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by EmilySue1992, Aug 3, 2010.

1. I just got a new percolator bong. The top chamber does not bubble if the slider is in, but will once you pull it out to clear it. Also, the water from the top chamber drains into the bottom after you hit it. Not sure if that is normal. I've never owned one of these before. Please share your words of wisdom?

2. well without pics, all I can really say is that you may not have enough water in your percs, or your tilting at a bad angle.

3. Ahh, cheer up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZorVQsDKiEs]YouTube - Elmo rocking with Grado,VPI,RSA[/ame]

4. This could just be the splash guard, but like Vegas said, it's hard to say without seeing it.

5. some of us dont even have perc's,
    itll be okay,,
    lol
    pics pls!

6. sounds like u have 2 much water in that cheap perc no offense

7. I second that it sounds like you have a splashguard and not a perc. Post pics.

8. The reason the water drains down after hitting it is due to a pressure gradient between the chamber above the perc and the main chamber, below, which could be caused either by too much drag or too much water in the perc. Try filling your bong to just a half inch or a bit less above the highest hole in your downstem, same with the perc. That should reduce the drag, first of all making the bong more pleasant to hit, and also hopefully stopping your perc troubles, since drag also seems to somehow be the reason the perc doesn't work when you hit it, since it works after clearing it. I really don't understand how that could be though, since putting a slide in doesn't change the fact that the air HAS to go through the perc to get to your mouth, and since all the holes on the perc are covered with water, it has to bubble.

9. well im pretty sure there is too much water in there because she clearly said it was her first piece which most likely means she doesnt have experience with water levels, 2 since its her 1st most likely its a cheap piece with very bad airflow plenty of drag and u add the fact that she is probably using the stock bowl not a diffused one just adds that much more drag

10. Yeah there's probably too much water in it, I remember when I got my first glass bong I thought the more water in the perc the better, but I'm just wondering how it could be possible for it to perc when the bowl's out but not when it's in. Because, presumably there's nowhere for the air to transfer from the first chamber to the second besides the holes in the perc, which are submerged in water.

11. yea i thought the same way man, my guess is there is so much drag(pressure) that it goes so slow and almost not bubbling she doesnt notice

12. Well it doesn't have a down stem. I've never heard of a splash guard, but it might be that. Honestly, I don't know. Also, it's acrylic with a metal slider. I don't know how much of a difference that makes. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. looks like a dome perc, dont put to much water in it

14. #14 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
    It doesn't hsve a downstem?? WTF type of bing is this? LOL
    This is why you never get cheap petcs, you'll be spending at least $150 for a decent perc.
    Next time opt for a solid, simple tube(ALWAYS under 18" tall) with a good diffused downstem and a nice one hit slide.

Edit: omfg it's acrylic?!? Is this a joke?

15. I don't understand why there are slits in the upstem, that ruins the purpose of a perc.

16. That's one weird looking perc. It seems pretty tall, so maybe you didn't have enough water?

17. i don't understand it either. i suppose shitty design might be the reason it doesn't hit right?

18. Not if you put water just over the top slit on the purple part, all the smoke has to come out of there eventually.

19. I've never ever seen a PLASTIC PERC until this thread. So I'll give you that.
    But the reason is because first of all it's fucking plastic! Go glass always!!
    There are even a lot of cheap ass glass percs out there that don't hit do well.

This is why you MUST do lots of research before you make a purchase.
    Pro tip: never get a tube taller then 18" since that's the standard tall tube and is actually pretty big! Any taller is not just unneccesary, but it's also harder to clean, harder to store, and harder to maintain(not even to mention how it affects airflow!).
    It's cool to see other chicks tokin, sorry got the bad luck, hope it goes better next time!

20. If there is water over the two slits on the purple part then the only reason it wouldn't bubble is if there is a leak somewhere.