My Observation: People are in too much of a damn hurry

Discussion in 'General' started by terradactyl, Mar 13, 2009.

1. #1 terradactyl, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009
    i just got back from a bike ride, inspired by this beautiful weather.

on my ride, i had to cross a crosswalk which was unprotected by a light, so people didnt have to stop (even though theyre supposed to by law).
    anywho, when i reached the crosswalk, i got off my bike and waited for the cars to stop.

none of them did for at least 5 minutes.

finally after a long wait one guy in a truck finally stopped (i gave him 'the wave' as i walked by) and then other lane of traffic in his direction got the idea and stopped. there was one car coming towards me in the opposite direction, and it was pretty far away so i figured it would stop when he saw me crossing.

this douchebag actually SPED UP to get by in front of me
    i made eye contact when he went by and he just gave me a "what?" type of look. fucking prick.

my point is, it wouldnt have made this asshole late to where ever he was going to stop for 20 seconds to let me pass, instead of zooming by and threatening my life.

it just really pissed me off.

/rant

2. Why did you ride a bike when you could have walked???? In a hurry???

3. i wasnt going anywhere in specific, holy wise man, i was enjoying the weather

4. i know exactly how you feel. my dad is always screaming at people in front of us to drive faster, when we have nowhere to go.. it irritates me!

5. lol that made me laugh..
    OP: and im sure that u werent in a hurry..i enjoy bike rides from time to time also:p

but i get wut ur sayin..

and ever since i moved to the states..i found out that you could not survive without a car.

when i used to live in germany...i lived in one of the biggest cities and still it would take me about 45 mins max with bike to go from one side of the city to the other(limits)

here...it even takes 20 mins to go to the next grocerie store
    i miss walking nextdoor to go shopping and stuff..

6. I completely agree with all of you. I'm a cyclist too, and it really is frustrating at times how angry and hurried some drivers are. Not that I'm anti-car either, I love driving around too, but sometimes I wish people would just be a little more relaxed with it.

And if you don't mind my asking, where in Deutschland are you from KingKong? I've spent a few weeks in Bonn and one in München, and I know exactly what you mean about not needing a car over there. We take public transit for granted.

7. first of all, I was feeling you at the title of this thread already (I assumed it was about something else though- the american scheduled fast paced lifestyle) read it, noticed it wasn't, but felt your pain anyways.

second of all, yay to bike rides, good weather, inspiration, and all three combined!

third of all, that guy was a douche and you should've flipped him the finger. sometimes when I'm driving and somebody deliberately cuts me off or does something really dumb... I actually go out of my way to get revenge. only if they deserve it though :devious:

8. Capitalism pressures everyone to be as fast as possible, drugs let you drop out for a little while, slow down, and get yourself together.

So many companies are producing sugared and caffeinated products, to make us faster, more on the edge, more productive, and it's taking its toll.

9. Around here, IT IS A LAW to require cars to stop for people to cross the street. It makes everyone happy.

10. its a law here to (CA)..but i rarely see enforced/practiced

11. reppin FFM! frankfurt :p

in my opinion munich is already too big...but nowhere like in the states

ive moved here since last fall and since then ive been to downtown atlanta twice..one time for GA tech visit, another for a hawks game..yea...i used to be able to walk(if i was desperate) to the downtown area from my home in 30 min..and i lived pretty 'far away' for german standards

12. I completely agree.. Im a skateboarder and cruisin through the streets: Ik exactly how you feel.

Our country pounds Time is Money and that type of crap into our heads..

not exactly always bad- makes us want to go faster to be more efficient and that type of stuff, but AGREED.. people need to slow down and take time to do what theyre doing. and going out of your way to be nice doing it never hurt anyone,

13. ive never seen it that way..
    although to me its a bit extreme..but it kind of makes sense

nice thought

14. #14 sandra., Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    I concur. I hate it, it's BS... I guess it's because I'm more of a "type b" personality...

but these days, and I'm mainly talking about North America, it's all about time, power, efficiency and how fast YOU can keep up.

it's all about how much one can accomplish in X amount of time, rushing here, rushing there, being super productive, fast-pacing all over the place, deadlines, being the best and most successful, scheduled meetings, scheduled workouts, scheduled leisure time, scheduled hangout time whether it be in solitude or with friends... it's ridiculous and unhealthy.

that saying, "time is money"... grr

Time is a gift and time is life and yes it should be used wisely and efficiently but not too the point where situations like what happened to the OP arise. People are becoming stressed and ill because of the rushed lifestyle- cancer at ridiculously young ages, etc. and it seems everyone's affected... it's really sad.

I'm not saying we need to laze around all day, it's all about balance. A structured life is a fulfilling life but a rushed life is a missed life.

15. i agree when i it takes me twenty minutes to get across the god damned street theres a god damned problem ive had this problem many times

16. yup, i agree with this.