My Notes From a Seminar + Dinner with DJ Short

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Akinnamon94, Oct 28, 2019.

1. #1 Akinnamon94, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    So I just wanted to get these typed up for myself so I could have them on a document instead of my scribbled notes on paper that I can barely read. I thought I'd share them with everyone else as I thought a lot of the information was very interesting and insightful.

Some background information. The only reason I happened upon this event was because I was researching top names in the genetics industry and where to get seeds that you could trace back to landrace strains. DJ Shorts name was coming up everywhere so I started to do some more research and found the his Blueberry is what goes into the original Blue Dream strain. People were all suggesting that I try out some of DJ Shorts Azure Haze, as its about the closest you can get to the original Blue Dream without growing from clone.

I soon found his website (Home) and was reading about all his different strains. I found out he was the creator to the legendary Flo strain as well and some of his other strains almost made my mouth water. Here is an excerpt from the description of his 'Velvet Krush' strain.

"Velvet Krush is a high yielder under optimal conditions, the flowers dense and dark with good commercial bud structure, purples, blues, reds, yellows and greens rainbow through the finished flower. Her on-the-vine flavors range from kush-floral-candy to a grape-leather-musk to tangy-citrus-bubblegum and cologne add to this complex array of smells. Her cured aromas range from tropical-melon-musk-berry to tangy-tart-kid’s-vitamins to spicy-incense-floral-candy-licorice, all deep and enticing in that ‘Pre-’98’ way."

I was soon on my normal Seedbank (seedsherenow.com) ordering a pack of his Blueberry and Flo. Lucky enough, I happened to notice an events tab and he was just happening to be speaking at a small dispensary here in Michigan, around 10 minutes from my house. I registered for this event and it was one of the most insightful and fun experiences I have ever had. I left with 10 different strains, two of them being his Breeders Choice Mix #2 and #3 which he said might never be released. Having only spennt $30 dollars for admission and $150 on seeds, I felt that was well worth it for leaving with 50+ seeds! Sorry for the long rant, I will get to the notes now. Please note that I am just the middle man relaying the information he provided. You can decide to agree or disagree at your own discretion!

Coming up with his Blueberry strain:
    -He stated that this was the strain, that after countless hours of breeding and testing, HEALED him the best.

Differences between Sativas and Indicas:
    -The only difference he has truly noticed after 50 years of breeding is that FLOWERING TIME is the main difference between the two.
    -This is due to the location and geography from which these strains originate.
    -The tropics, near the equator, is the only place in the world that gets 100% direct sunlight.
    -The differences in elevation and UV radiation play a large role in how the strain will end up. These tropical areas are exposed to higher levels of UV radiation.
    -He has not been able to replicate good sativas from these tropical areas to his exact liking because he cannot perfectly replicate the conditions these plants are grown in without growing in these places.
    -Tropics light schedule is 13/11 during the months of May-September and 11/13 during October-April. The true difference in days to these plants are minute because the difference is closer to around a minute per day. In places like Michigan and Oregon, the difference in days is much more drastic.
    -He also noted that stickiness is different between indica and sativa. If you look hard and close enough on your plants, you can see resin glands secreting droplets of resin. On sativa strains he has noticed that this droplet has a much higher chance at dropping onto the leaf compared to indicas.

History on where he got his first seeds from and how he got started in the industry:
    -Back when he started smoking weed the only good seeds he could get were from a group called the 'Brotherhood of Eternal Love'
    -He would normally only be able to get cannabis from what they called "Mafia Loads" which would come off the docs in large bundles and they would often find bugs, cigarettes and fingernails in this weed.
    -When the Brotherhood would bring in cannabis him and his friends would pool their money together and this is where he started to collect his seeds.
    -He would dig through the good buds like the Thai sativas, Afghan indicas and other landrace strains the brotherhood got their hands on and would pick out seeds so he could start growing his own and always have the good strains.
    -These are were most of his genetics today originate from and can still be traced back to

Brotherhood of Eternal Sunshine:
    -They were famous for supplying the Orange County area with good quality bud, usually the Thai Stick or Thai Sunshine. This is the herb he still is looking for to this day.
    -Referred to these guys as "watermen" because they were surfer types
    -LSD was a big part of their lifestyle.
    -This group would fly to Germany where they would rent an old Volkswagen van and take a trip into Kabul, Afghanistan where they went seeking a Hashish Babar.
    -The hashish made is this area is referred to as "100 meter Hash" becuase it never leaves more than 100 meters from where it was grown and processed.
    -The Brotherhood brought LSD to the Babar after they were originally laughed at and only given C-grade hash. The LSD experience convinced the Babar that these guys were seeking the purest medicine and provided them with 100 meter hash and where they could find the best Afghani landrace strains.
    -They would stash the van full of bud and hashish and would make the trip back to Germany and hopefully all the way to America.

"Grey Wolf"
    -Was a Chemical Engineer for boeing who created the website 'Skunk Pharm Research'
    -He was the first person to start posting legit information about Hash and the production of it. He did this in response to an increase in incidents where people where killing themselves trying to make hash with butane improperly.

Nepal:
    -He stated that Nepal is the "Pinnacle for Hash"
    -He has seen plants in Nepal that have been grown for 3 years and are 25 ft tall and as bushy as a small hut.
    -The Nepalese go out before sunrise and rub their hands on the leaves of flowering plants. They will accumulate a bunch on their hands and then roll it into a ball and make "Nepalese Temple Balls" which he stated was one of the most pure and best things he has ever smoked.
    -Suggested reading "The Great Book of Hashish" for more info

Method in Creating his F5 Blueberry that is sold today

Female | Male
    P1(sativa) P1 (afghan indica)
    F1-----> F1--------> (F1 generation is uniform in smell and look)
    F2(berry traits) F2(berry traits) (transgressive segregation occurs)
    F3(more berry) F3(more berry)
    F4(more berry) F4(more berry)
    F5--------> sells these seeds

*He breeds for one selective trait at a time

His advice on Hermaphrodites:
    -He likes to keep a live male cut in his flowering room but will pay extreme attention to not let any pollen sacs open.
    -As long as there is a male in the room the female plants will have no reason to become hermaphrodites as they can sense the male. In his 50 years of growing and all the experts he knows have done the same.
    -Suggests keeping a small area for a few males to use for this purpose and to keep for pollen for breeding.

Outdoor cultivation of his Flo strain and how to make it capable of being multi-harvested.
    -Branch ends will mature as the inner branches still grow
    -You can harvest these outer branches and it will mature the inner branch faster and bigger.

Blueberry
    -His Mother Blueberry plant is from 1991.
    -In April it goes outside each year after cuttings are taken.
    -Next years mother is cut in late July and brought indoors.

Strain Search
    -He is looking for the original strains that have been grown in Peru/Colombia/Bolivia/Mexico and Thailand by the same grandpas/grandmas and their grandpas/grandmas for generations.
    -This is the strains he used to smoke back in the day, when the highest tested strain was Acapulco Gold at 7-10% THC. This is why he truly believes that THC and potency is not everything when it comes to the strain and its effects.

DJ Shorts Method of judging the flower he grows and whether he likes a strain or not
    -First and foremost, he judges bud off how it makes him feel and not how it looks/smells/ or tastes. These are usually just outliers and dont go into it having the psychoactive effect.

1. Onset of effects: some strains take 1 minute, some take 15 minutes to fully hit you
    2.Duration of effects: does the strain only last an hour or does it last 4+ hours
    3. Ceiling: Does the high have a ceiling? Can you continue to get high the more hits you take or do you get couchlock after 5 hits and smoking more is pointless?
    4.Burnout: How long before you get tired of smoking the same thing? Does your tolerance build up faster or can you enjoy the same strain for a long period of time. He says he can smoke his Blueberry for years and has never got burnout.
    5: Shelf life: Does the strain last a long time in a jar? Does it go bad over time or does it get better with a long cure? His Vaniluna and Happy Pussy have been cured for almost 3 years and only got better, some dont last more than 6 months. Cure in blue jars instead of clear.
    6. Last is Potency of the strain!

He could not recommend switching to the 11/13 dark cycle enough instead of a 12/12 that so many use. He has been using it since the 80's with proven results.

He has heard a lot of good things about the Light company Next Light and his son, who is JD Short and runs Second Generation Genetics, uses these lights.
    He uses 315 CMH and prefers the 4000K Spectrum through the whole cycle.

I really hope anyone who read this and found it useful can apply some of the information for themselves. I know I have been able to. It would be awesome to hear what people have to say and think about his advice!

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. #2 Akinnamon94, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Please @killset stop fucking doing this immature stuff. You are a grown man, sitting behind a computer and stalking people on these forums.

I have been in contact with the Admins about you and have given them screenshots of the constant harassment you have been displaying over the last few weeks.

Here is just a few screenshots from the last day of this guy following my posts and comments and clicking disagree within 5 minutes of me posting. It's such a pathetic thing for a human being to be doing, especially a full grown man. And it's really not what this community is about

Please grow up and stop acting like a 14 year old troll

Please do something about this @RMJL

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. @killset If you truly disagree with literally everything I say why don't you just click ignore on my profile like I did for you a while ago?? I've asked you to do this already and I've asked you to just keep on scrolling if you see my name so I'm not sure why you keep this up??

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Back to what I originally made this thread for!

I was going to post all the photos I have realted to this info but I had to wait until I switched over to my phone lol

Here is photos of all of the seeds I got fr the event and his website. Also a bonus picture of him talking to us and one of his baseball card came that he keeps all of his seeds in that I creepily snapped!

Also the last picture is of the Terpene/Terpenoid profile for his Blueberry strain that he passed around!

For anyone in the Ann Arbor, MI area this event is held annually in early October at Om of Medicine. The event only had a total of 10-15 people and all but 3 of us seemed to be new so if you're interested definitely check it out next year! Maybe I'll see you there!

Attached Files:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. peeps do forget he was also the first to try and Trademark "his" Blueberry

until some kid said otherwize

pity you didn't ask that whilst on your knees

stoner's have even shorter memories ..lol

germers are just paying for name these days

time to move over DJ

will you leave a male in the grow room?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. #6 Akinnamon94, Oct 28, 2019
    You must have completely misunderstood the point of this.

I am not telling anyone to take this information as the end all be all.

I don't worship anyone in this industry. I truly believe there is something to learn from everyone, especially someone who is well known and has been doing it for a long time.

I have learned to ignore growers like you who call people "kids", don't even know how to spell a word like "otherwise" properly and think they know better than someone who actually has credibility.

No I will not be putting a male in my room, I just thought it was an interesting point. And I took notes on everything he said so it was included. Like I said you can take this information and use it or just move on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Akinnamon94, Oct 28, 2019
    Also the impression I got from him was not the type of man who was trying to make money off of everything or "own" anything.

He literally was talking about "Med Men" and all these other companies trying to make the cannabis industry into something it shouldn't be. His exact words were "there is room for us all in this industry".

I've heard things about his son being an entitled little twat but he was a very humble person. He said multiple times that we need to teach the younger generation everything we can and I believe that to be true... Maybe you don't.

• Like Like x 1