My night was ruined.

Discussion in 'General' started by Zula, Apr 16, 2013.

1. This may be a long read, but please bare with me:

Last night, it was around 11:30, I was heading to bed and figured I'd toke for a minute in the basement beforehand. I usually smoke every two to three days before bed because it helps me sleep. Plus it's a nice treat to have after a long day at work. I'm 21 years old and live with my grandmother by the way.

So once I was done, I went upstairs, packed my things for work the next day and headed to bed. About 10 minutes later, she comes in my room and asks me about a smell, thinking it was my cats liter box. I shrug it off, but realized I hadn't cleaned my bowl out. It reeks like hell if I don't. Eventually she goes downstairs, and realizes the smell was coming from the basement.

At that point, it was over.

She came into my room mad. Not as mad as I thought she'd be, but mad nonetheless. She went on for about four minutes, ad cane in my room twice, saying things like I was disrespecting her house, "why are you bringing that shit in here, why are you smoking, where'd you buy it, who turned you into it, it can lead to other drugs," etc.

I had no intention of disrespecting her or her house. I love my Grandmother to death and tried to be discreet about it up until this. There's been times where I'd go to the backyard and she'd come out and question me, or I'd go for a walk, and she'd question me. I can't go anywhere without the third degree.

After the conversation was over, she went to bed and that was it.

Should I even discuss this with her today? I want to get everything out because she has so many misconceptions about what I'm doing. I work full time and go to college part time, which I pay for out of pocket. Right now I have A's and B's in my classes and the most frustrating part is, marijuana has actually helped me, not made my situation worse.

I just don't know what to say to her. I don't want to convince her per-say, I just want her to to understand my side. I'm not mad or upset, I just feel down because I don't like people being disappointed in me when I'm not doing anything "wrong."

2. Definitely talk to her about it. Show her some articles on benefits of weed, she has the '60's mentality on weed most likely, so just educate her on it.

Know weed, know peace. No weed, no peace.

3. Hate to be Captain Hindsight, but smoking in your grandmother's house was not the best idea.

Go outside, even if you live in the Midwest where it's freezing cold in the winter. A few minutes being uncomfortable is better than being kicked out.

You could try and educate your grandmother, but she has to be open-minded in order to be receptive to anything.

4. Invest in a vape to greatly cut down on the smell

5. i assume your work/school situation traps you into living there atm, because you said you pay out of pocket and apartments are expensive. basically go outside to smoke you're 21 so as long as you aren't smoking in your grandmother's house there shouldn't be a problem. you probably should talk to her, and about the personal benefits it gives you. and that you won't do it in the house etc. it's worth a try.

6. Here's my outlook (being 21 and living with my parents):

Don't "disrespect" her house rules, keep it elsewhere.

She isn't going to lighten up to weed, because everything she knows about it is bad due to false experiments that were ran in the 60's/70's.

Give her your perspective, but be polite.

Tell her it helps with sleep and anxiety after a long day, but you can "find a better alternative."

My parents have threatened to kick me out numerous times when I was underage, but now they just want me to keep it out of the house because it's illegal, which is respectable.

Keep blazing, it's not affecting your grades and it helps you deal with long days, just be discrete (which sucks) until you move out.

7. Hi hon, Let's see if we can get you out of the hot water you are in! This is a good one for you to read and then show Grandma!

When Your Kid Smokes Pot (news – 2008)
    When Your Kid Smokes Pot | MND: Your Daily Dose of Counter-Theory

I bet you don't have a copy of my List, do you? :( See that first link in my sig? That will take you to the old version of my List. You will find a lot of helpful articles in the List! These are from WebMD- a trusted mainstream source of info.

Teen Pot Smoking Won't Lead to Other Drugs as Adults
    Teen Pot Smoking Won't Lead to Other Drugs as Adults

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill
    Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill

Keep your Grandmother's medical history in mind as you scroll through the List. Does the idea of Alzheimer's worry her?

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's

[FONT=&quot]“THC blocks an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase, which speeds the formation of amyloid plaque in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease. The Alzheimer's drugs Aricept and Cognex work by blocking acetylcholinesterase. When tested at DOUBLE the concentration of THC, Aricept blocked plaque formation only 22% as well as THC, and Cognex blocked plaque formation only 7% as well as THC.

Or breast cancer, that strikes 1 in every 8 women? (Cannabidiol (CBD) is the #2 compound in marijuana)
    [/FONT]
    Pot compound seen as tool against cancer (news – 2012)
    Pot compound seen as tool against cancer - SFGate

“When McAllister and Desprez exposed the (triple negative breast cancer) cells to cannabidiol in a petri dish, the cells not only stopped acting "crazy" but they also started to revert to a normal state… The researchers stressed cannabidiol works only on cancer cells that have these high levels of ID-1 and these do not include all cancerous tumors but, rather, aggressive, metastatic cells. But they've found such high levels in leukemia, colorectal, pancreatic, lung, ovarian, brain and other cancers.”

There is a LOT more to marijuana than "just" getting high! :smoking: Time to educate yourself! Click the link, or, even better, check out the bottom of my sig to get your own copy of the latest List! :D

[FONT=&quot]

Granny :wave:

[/FONT]

8. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I understand that smoking in the house wasn't a great idea, but like I said, the times I'd try to go outside, she'd come out and question me. The only time I successfully toked outside was when she was in the bathtub for twenty minutes.

Also, my mom questioned me on the phone yesterday, so I admitted I do smoke currently. All she did was tell me I should stop, and how one her friends recently got into trouble on a drug charge (that has nothing to do with me obviously, and if you're discreet about it, there's practically no chance of that happening anyways)

I just want them to know that it's something I choose to do, that doesn't negatively affect my life. It helps me sleep, it relaxes me, and I enjoy doing it. Period. If she doesn't like me doing it in the house, I won't. That's no problem. What I DO have a problem with is someone telling me what to do OUTSIDE of the house, especially when I'm an adult. I really don't want to be defiant, but I have to do what makes me happy and comfortable and I'm very tired of doing what everyone else thinks I should. Why should I have to suffer because they choose not to educate themselves?

I've never been in a position of blatant defiance, so it's a little intimidating honestly. I've been sheltered for so long, I don't know what's right or wrong to do or say. For now, I'm thinking talking to her and leaving it at that is best. I will never smoke in her house again, but I want to be clear that I'm not going to stop. I refuse to feel bad about something that doesn't harm me and actually helps me, you know?

9. No matter how you want to look at it, not the best idea to smoke at grandma's:rolleyes:

10. Yet if you are forced to smoke outside the house, you are in far more danger of getting busted, than if you smoke in the basement! We have to get cannabis legalized so all this foolish hassle goes away!

11. #12 Zula, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
    Very true. It's ridiculous we have to do this while alcohol and cigarettes, which can kill you in excess, are perfectly fine to most of society. It's absurd. But I'm hoping the laws in Maryland change. There's a lot going on concerning marijuana legislation here.

I don't know how strict it actually is around here, but I've toked in a public park with a buddy a few years ago. A cop car with two cops inside pulled past us and kept going without so much as a glance. But who knows, maybe they thought we were smoking cigarettes :rolleyes: lol

12. Don't worry, my mom is the exact same way, through school and work she questions me the same way, I told her I smoked and she flipped because I sounded calm about it, I was telling her it helped me rather than hurt me but, she flipped, some people just aren't with it, I wish my Mom smoked with me one day

13. If I were u I would talk to ur G-ma and tell her ur sorry and u never ment to disrespect her home. Tell her ur sorry it happened and u won't smoke in her house again. If she asks why u smoke it or when did u start it whatever. Just tell her u smoked it a couple of times and it helps u relax and go to sleep. Now if she can handle the truth, the tell her ur a smoker and u won't stop smoking unless its in her house. But if she can't. Just tell her ur gonna lay off it and to not worrie no more.

14. I'm not going to lie to her by saying I'm going to stop. I'm not, so that would just exasperate the situation by lying just to please her own psyche.

15. Tell her to research the risks. Until she does be all bump bump bump bump