My newbie setup...Give me your thoughts

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Richard Kranium, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Hello everyone
    I hope you guys have a lot of knowledge of growing cause I could use some help.
    Along with the pictures here is some background.
    View attachment 1414058
    My setup:

The goods-2 seedlings, one just out of germination phase and potted/ the other is like 1 and a half inches and has been growing for like 5 days.

Light- $20 setup from walmart- two 4ft 32 watt T8 fluorescent lights with 2600 lumens( per bulbs i saw this when i was reading earlier so not sure if it will help in your judgement) the plant is 2 inches away from the top. the current light cycle will by 18 hours a day on and 6 off.

Ventilation- opened the window in the room they grow in 

Water -(THIS IS WHERE I NEED AN ANSWER QUICK)- i have been watering them whenever the top feels a little dry, is that too much?? or too little?

So I got these seeds from a bag of "Headband" I bought a couple weeks ago. I have no idea the sex and I am very curious so any ideas when the sex organs will start growing? like what day? I thought about growing them left them and they just sat in the bag for a week until I decided to give it a shot, two days later I had a seedling! 

I figured I would go with fluorescent light until the flowering stage then go to HPS (not really trying to spend a lot of money just yet). Also I read if you use fluorescent lights you dont have to worry about over heating and no ventilation needed, is that right? Also,what would you say is the best flowering stage light? (looking for best yield) 

I had the plant in a window seal and it was growing thin and taller than I thought it should be, so I went to walmart and got a light setup. After one day on the lights it seems like the plant is growing in diameter a more but it still grew upwards but not by much. So that is it for now ill post about the growth in a few days, but comment on how to make it better.

Also how much does it cost if my energy company charges 6 cents per kwh??

Any help is really appreciated! And dont be afraid to be blunt or a dick about it! I'm a grown man any comments about growing will definetly be taken into consideration!

2. Hey Richard Kranium

my guess is your bag seeds are either female or hemaphrodite. You can do a stem rub and try to smell if they smell female or male (are they more perfumy or musky) though there is no way of real knowing chances are your growers (who grew it) are not messing with males and you have a hermie bean on your hands... make sense? I try to get my beans from growers who only use males. 

As for watering. It's a lot like the plants need as much water as would fill their leaves. More leaves=more water. Though you want the soil to get dry, there will always be some water in the soil that plants cannot use. Therefore, plants can reach their terminal wilting point (death) when there is still some water in the soil. I try to water when the soil has been dry a bit and leaves are drooping though not too much. the plants can come back when they are very near the terminal wilting point but there is no point in seeing how close you one can push it IMO.

You won't be able to tell the gender until the plant shows its pre-flowers OR enters the flowering phase. This usually happens between 18/6 and 20/4 the key is dark hours. It needs total darkness for whatever amount of time to show. 

I don't know about how much your bill will be. If you are concerned the plant is not growing vertically enough, well I just wouldn't be too concerned about that. Headband is a sativa if I recall correctly so you will see it grow %80 of it's height after the switch to 12/12. IOW, a 1' tall sativa plant switched to bloom can end up around 6-7' in a 5-10 gallon soil if you give it the right conditions

hope that helped
    corky

3. http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1293556-what-hermie-seed.html?hl=what+hermie+seed#entry19786828 It will give you more info on seeds. Your seed will be fine.

You can water as little as once a week with a seedling depending on lighting. Water when the pot is "light". You'll feel the difference when the soil is wet and heavy vs. when it's dry.

Your bill will go about about 5-10$ CFLs don't cost much to run. Most electric companies work on a tiered system. Check your electric bill and see where the next tier break is. If it's close with what you already use in your house, you'll probably have to pay more per kWH.

It's a good idea to put a fan on the plants. If nothing else, deflect the fan off a wall to keep from blowing the little ones over. Ventilation is key no matter what lighting you use.

Your yield will be determined by how well you treat them. If they're stressed and overfed/over watered they will be small. Lower wattage lighting will also cause smaller yield. http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1293104-what-good-growers-already-know-top-5-lessons-new-growers.html/page-2?hl=what+the+good+growers+already+know#entry19798756

There's no pics in your post.