my new thoughts on consciousness

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by potsandplans, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I am current taking Calculus II for the second time as a summer class (I failed the first time... just purely from slacking off) and today I had a sudden revelation of sorts.

So I realized that calculus is the math of infinites and possibilities. By integrating, you determine all possibilities. For example, if you integrate an equation for area, you will get the equation for volume, which is sum of all of the possibilities of area.

There are two kinds of math as far as I am concerned at this point. Lower math, such as algebra and geometry, determine physical properties, such as area, how many apples, volume, etc. and Higher math (calculus) which determines the possibilities.

So lower math applies to the physical, and higher math (calculus) applies to the metaphysical (potential). The potential of a physical object/phenomenon is the sum of all of its possibilities. And then it hit me: Potential (the metaphysical, such as energy and such) is infinite Physical... and Consciousness is infinite Potential!

Let me know if you guys think it makes sense!

2. Very cool ideas! I don't really grok, though. Sorry to be a critic, it's my nature.

I think this is interesting wordplay, but not much else. Similarly the idea that integration can "determine all possibilities" isn't really meaningful to me.

rant about "higher math":
    I have a similar distinction between lower math and higher math. In my opinion, Calculus II is one of the very last classes one takes in lower math. Most people who don't get a degree in math or computer science will never take a higher math class. Higher math (I usually call it "real math") includes number theory, algebra (abstract algebra, not high school algebra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_algebra), topology, real/complex analysis, etc.. College courses in these subjects require a completely different way of thinking compared to fake math courses. In all my "real math" courses, almost all of my answers to homeworks and tests were basically essays, with very few numbers or symbols.