My new home built NFT System

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by fyrhazzrd, Apr 9, 2012.

1. This is my new NFT system I just got done building. Now I know why they go for $600 plus dollars online. That was a royal pain in the ass to build. I plan on putting Strawberries in it.

It cost me about $150 in materials and about 2 weeks to build. Some of the biggest problems with the systems you see online is they use the small 1/4 tubing to feed the solution. Those small tubes tend to plug causing a lot of headaches. So I decided to feed with 1/2 tubing and use shut-off valves to control the water flow.

I used 4" PVC pipes for the main tubes, and 3" PVC pipes for the drain, and the net pot towers. I am also using 3" net pots.

Attached Files:

2. Looks great! Very professional. What type of pump is needed to run it?

3. Looks very professional...What are you growing?

4. Thanks for the kind words. It really was a challenge to engineer. My biggest headache was trying to figure out how to get the net pots to lay flat.

I'm running a 390 GPH submersible pump. I originally bought a 200 GPH pump, but the outlet on it was too small. I need a 1/2" outlet, and the smaller pump had a 3/8" outlet.

Thanks, I am going to be growing strawberries in it.

Edit: We are seeing 25 MPH winds today and it hasn't fallen apart and my net pots are still in place. I must have done something right. LOL

5. Well hell yea, I have one strawberry plant right now, I focus more on tomatoes and peppers, but the size of those pots are perfect for strawberries. I bet some hydro strawberries are the shit. Mine is in soil. But I do have a small hydro setup I bought from a hydro store in VA Beach.

6. I make my own wine, so I'm hoping to have enough strawberries to make a six gallon batch of Strawberry wine. :D I would need about 20 LBS of Strawberries to do the batch.