My new FREE car

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by SmokehTehBerr, Jan 16, 2012.

1. #1 SmokehTehBerr, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    Well, to make a long story short, my car was wrecked while a friend was driving ( 03 Tiburon GT).He admitted it was 100% his fault. Well I did not have collision on the car and he did not have a valid drivers license (I did not know that when i let him use my car). He knows how much the Tiburon ment to me and that I am just as broke as he is and if I don't have transportation to and from work 60 miles a day ill loose my job, so he gave me his car. A 2003 Pontiac grand am. Not exactly an upgrade.
    Putting the past behind, its not a horrible car, its a salvaged title car, he bought for a few ground 5 years ago from texas. And since then the car has magicly hit 4 deer total, i don't know how that could of happened. So it needs some body work.

I just changed the plugs, wires, checked all fluids, and changed the oil. And other then a few strange noises it runs pretty strong and the v6 has some torque surprisngly. The back suspension is making some noises aswell. Not blown shocks/struts but sounds like bad bushings?? Anyways, it handles just slightly better than a boat.

AC works like a champ as does heat, interior has no rips, just alot of stains from spilled soft drinks and coffee over the years. And its all mine for free with 150k miles.. cool

This is what I am going to beat on until I purchase my new car here in 4 or 5 months.

Thinking about going to junkyards to get missing/damaged body panels for aesthetics and primarily so my headlights will point straight. passenger headlight looks 20ft in the treetops on the left side of the road while the driver headlights looks straight down illuminating the 6inches infront of the road quite nicely. If I can't find all white body replacements, I am throwing the idea around the idea of rattlecannign it matte black. thoughts? tips?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. damn homie. sorry for your loss. Is he thinking on getting you another one? or make up the difference? goodluck with the trans am.

3. My friend has that car. Its pretty fast

4. Nah this is him makign it up. All he could do, if I could afford another car on my own I would not of asked him for it. He has a kid and a food service job, so after his big ticket from the wreck in my car this is all he could do for me. Heck, he is living under my roof with his family.

Just spent the last hour vacuming it out and wiping down the interior. It is surprisingly peppy, especially from a dead stop. It will squeal the into second if TCS is off lol. It probably runs in the 16s though lol

I would love to get another tiburon but in all honesty for auto cross it was limited... I liked how my tibby road, looked, sounded, shifted, and handled. It was a great first car. Oh well, time to use this grand am until I either pick up a bike or maybe a RWD Nissan, or a jeep

5. no offense dude but that thing is a piece of shit

most grand ams are anyways

6. Im going to have to agree with you there.

The only pontiacs today that are worth having is the GTO and the Solstice Turbo hardtop (you know, for an lsx swap).

Im just trying to make the best of a Bad situation.. Good news is that its fully payed and all I have to fork over a little for insurance. Bad news is The autotragic fwd heavy sedan made by pontiac cruzes ok and is semi comfortable ride compared to my old Hyundai (lol) but it is scary in the corners. I feal like a loaf of bread taped to a hot wheels car would handle better. The engine bay is pretty spottless though surprisingly and looks almost like new. Other than the questionable driving habits of the previous owner such as hitting deer and mailboxes giving it a unique look its a pretty clean ride I guess....

Should i paint it?

7. You should shoot your friend and sell his family into slavery and buy a new car:p

In all seriousness I hope it works out well for you. They are a crapy car but will continue to run for years.

8. Dude, supercharged 3800 swap with a pulley and breathing mods. Put on some steelies and shitty tint and go clean up at the street races to pay for your new car.

9. yeah man, the gto is defiitely a nice surprise for pontiac, prolly the only one left lol. tiburon might have been decent though, anything done to it? lol does the grand am really handle that poorly? i went from a 4x4 heavy ass truck to an 03 eclipse and it was definitely different lol. and the truck was wayyyy different than my new car. just gotta get used to it i s'pose...could you make some money off the car dude if the engine is in good condition?

10. I'd just leave it alone. Matte black paint just seems like ricer overkill.

11. I wouldnt waste money on that car. not that there is anything wrong with it but just kinda pointless to spend money on it other than maintenance

12. Wow, this made me lol.

Anyways, OP. Get rid of that car when you can. It's a pile of shit. Basically the same car as the oldsmobile Alero, which my fiance currently has... Things a complete POS riddled with electrical problems. It's also had a good amount of mechanical parts replaced, but not the motor and tranny. So you can count on those, but not anything else....