My new baby...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by azznerak, Feb 23, 2017.

1. My new seedling wanted to say hi...

Going to go 24/0 light cycle until I put her into the stealth box. At which time I'm going to 20/4 light cycle until flower time when I'm switching to 12/12.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  2. looking great . the light must be on the side of the plant and not on top see it leaning ?

3. Nope. It's straight up. Moved her closer to the light though.

4. If you're going to go to a non 24/0 light schedule, there's not much reason not to go ahead and do that right off the bat. And, on the same note, there's really no benefit to going 20/4 over 18/6. If stealth, temperatures, and electricity are a factor, I suggest just going to 18/6 right off the bat.

5. #6 azznerak, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Is there a reason for the 20/4 over 18/6? I have read articles saying that a 24/0 light cycle will not stress a cannabis plant due to genetics.

Here is one forum discussion about pros and cons.
    24 hr light cycle?

What I have gotten is that the plant will tend to be shorter but bushier, something I would prefer due to space restrictions. And on a personal note, I have noticed a growth spurt from the 24/0 cycle.

6. As far as I know, nobody has done a real case-control type experiment with it. All the information out there you will find will be anecdotal and of low quality. Do what you like, but I really don't think you're going to see any benefit switching up light schedules in the middle of veg. Don't complicate things, keep it simple.

7. I love to experiment....so....
    I am going to leave her on 24/0 until transferring her into the stealth box (about three weeks...maybe less) at which time I'm planning on switching the light cycle. But what would you recommend? 18/6 or 20/4 until flower cycle? I heard gradually lowering the light cycle is less likely to stress the plant. Read somewhere that going from 18/6 to 12/12 could induce hermies. But I'm skeptical of this because on my first grow I went from 18/6 to 12/12 with two females and had no problem (except the fact that I screwed up and harvested WAY too soon).

8. By the way...I have no idea this is a female. But i figure since thoughts influence the material world, if I call her a female enough times the Universe will have no choice but to make it happen...

I hope...

9. Moving from 18/6 (or 24/0) to 12/12 will not induce hermies. This is one of the main problems with cannabis cultivation, it is so absolutely and pervasively inundated with pseudoscientific bullshit and anecdotal nonsense that it is impossible to find actual information out there. There are so many people who think they are god's gift to cannabis cultivation spreading nonsense that I honestly don't know how new growers even begin. It is frustrating hearing these demonstrably false statements.

10. And, there are arguments for both 18/6 and 24/0 light cycles. I have used both and noticed no appreciable difference. As long as they're getting less than 6-10 hours of darkness a day they will be fine. Just pick one, 18/6 gives the benefit of alleviating some temperature issues and reducing electricity costs and equipment wear and tear, so that is what I generally go with.

11. #12 azznerak, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    I am using a LED grow light, so temp and cost problems are not going to be a concern. I was worried about stress to the plant mainly. I would figure a plant would need a rest period, a nap if you would call it. But like you said, there is so much information out there by various people. So I guess it's just trial and error. I will post updated pics on "her" progress.