my mice are in love... too bad i gotta feed 'em to my snake in a couple days

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by IGotTheCottons, Nov 29, 2002.

1. glad to hear it budburner... good luck with getting it so she won't bite you when you try to hold her ;)

2. you know my rosie has never even struck....i feed her by hand too...

hold the mouse up over her so she can snach it from my hands.....

and she is as docile as they come....

anybody ever seen a blue indigo.....they where endangered...but are recovering and are not on the threatened list....my favorite snake of all......
    they are the largest snake in north america..
    averaging over 10 ft.....sometimes 14....
    and as big arround as what ever you feed them....
    i believe they are related to kings...becouse they will eat other snakes as well as rodents and birds...but the coolest thing about them is there color...they are called blue...but are so blue as to look black unless in good lite...and when the sun hits this snake all his scales are iridesent ...with a tiny rainbow on each scale.....

as well as being the largest snake in north america ...the blue indigo is also the most docile snake in the intire world!

they live wild in fla...and im not sure how far north they go ....

but if you get the chance to see one ....check him over carefully.....they are very beautyful!

3. i've seen pictures of 'em in books... but that's about it. they are really beautiful snakes.

4. She has never struck at my hand. She has struck at my face though (through the screen-top).

I think it's when she feels my breath and freaks out.

I've never let her get close enough to my bare hand with her head. Or actually I guess I've never let my hand get that close to her head...lol

http://bulldog.bcoe.butte.k12.ca.us/Palermo/Woodleaf/Pictures.html

This is one of the few sites that had a picture of a rosie. Now there seems to be more out there (cool!)

She is a beautiful snake. (God... I hope she's really a she)

5. the petstore by my house has 2 rosies... a mexican and another one (i forget where it's from). the one from mexico is like $100, and the other is like $300... i have no idea why though. they really are beautiful snakes.

i'm trying to get ahold of this guy who has a lot of huge tanks that he sells for cheap. i'm trying to get a 60 gallon breader to replace my standard 55 gallon. in addition to the new tank, i'm hoping to get his last baby milk snake for $20.

i'll keep ya updated :D

6. milk snake for 20$...holy shit i never heard of such a deal

i had a trio of sinlone milk snakes cost me 200$and thet was from a friend!

if you can get that deal i would jump on it!

good luck!

7. ha... i got that baby milk, but it was $25. he disappeared into the bedding in my tank and i can't find him, lol. the guy i got him from is my friend's neighbor. he goes to shows and such all the time and gets all his snakes for wholesale price. his milk just had babies, so that's probably why he let 'em go so cheap.

oh, i found out why the one roasie is $300... it's albino. i doubled checked when i went to get a rat and a pinkie yesterday.

8. I have snakes..Not PETS they live all around my house and I see them from time to time.
    It appears they have set up house in a couple of King Sago Plants and sometimes if I'm out and about my yard i'll see the Mama or Papa I don't which, and 5-6 babies....slinking through the grass away from me...

It's kind of a ritual....where the larger one ( 5-6 foot)will move slow and the babies 8 -12 inches will shoot ASAP to the next Bush...then the larger one meets them there.
    If the babies move to slow the larger one will hang around longer..
    I have not ever seen any rats-mice-mole(damage) and from time to time it's hard to find frogs and lizards..grin

Seems they have learned the rules--stay away from the house and they are free to make more snakes...come inside....and it's not a pretty picture when my wife has to deal with them rather then me. They seem to have babies same time each year. Then they wander off..but the larger ones stay close all the time.

I catch and release...she plays smash and toss!
    Pet stores in the area accept them and will trade for some item if we want. I just want them to go to a nice home to someone that cares for them.

I have seen maybe 3-4 differnet types.
    The scariest one was a snake in the middle of the road..had to be 8 foot long was a rattler..cars ran over him again and again...he thought it was a back rub. didn;t harm him any...so we had to find a better way to get rid of him...
    sad in a way but no one picked him up as a pet and it's illegal here anyway..

Just wanted to add my 2 cents...I'm a general animal lover.

9. shit man, i'm deathly afraid of snakes...hate 'em all...

10. You may be afraid of them, BUT they are 100 times more afraid of you.
    All of the snakes I have seen always move in the other direction when they notice me. And rattle sankes would do the same...,from my understanding the only people of animals that get bite by them usually stepped on one or scared it and the snakes reacted in automode. It's not like snakes seek us out to attack. They just want to do whatever snakes do..
    Eat - sex - build homes...sun them selfs..and sleep...

11. actually there is one snake in africa that will chase you down and bite you...there is noo way I could have one as a pet..they freak me out to much

12. Yeah... It's called a Black Mamba, and they live in more than just Africa. They are very aggressive and will chase you down and bite you... Lotta people die from these snakes...

13. argh, i started reading this but i mortally fear snakes so couldnt go on :D

14. Last year my mom's class gerbil died (she teaches third grade), so she microwaved it, tied a piece of string around its belly, and dangled it in front of her python. And the python sho'll did eat it.

15. how i got into breeding mice, well..we got two of them, to see if our snakes would eat them, they are water snakes, but we read that they will eat mice anyways (one of many wrong facts we've learned thru keeping them, another is that they are aggressive towards other snakes and are solitary, my two adults cuddle each other and the babies still group together)...so...we get these two mice and we put them in with the snakes, i didnt feed them for a while to make sure that they were hungry...they just sat there and ignored the mice, they sniffed each other nose to nose so i kno that they knew the mice were in there, but ignored them! put one goldfish i there to see if they were just not hungry, and WHAM..gone, what goldfish? o well..so i figured, wtf, why not just keep them, and breed them for other ppl whos snakes actually eat them and for pets, since ive bred other animals and its always been a hobby for me, not in it for the money and i am not a mill of any kind! so now i have a bunch of snakes that only eat fishes and tadpoles/frogs and a ton of mice that are just as happy as you please....any one want one or more of either?

16. i think death by hypothermia would be a better death since the body is shutting itself down the mouse should feel numb than just go into a sleep-death. idk it depends on if your a good shot with a ball peen hammer ;)