My little plant

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by hire, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. The plant I asked about a few weeks ago ended up dead! However, I started again with a proper soil mix with 30% perlite mixed in. I'm watering much less often (about every 4 days) and it all seems to be going well. However, as you'll see from these photos, the first proper set of leaves is going very yellow and a bit droopy. Other than that, the leaves seem fine! I'm sure it's not overwatering this time as i've been leaving it until they start to droop from not enough water.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. wow jonizsingle you deserve a kick in the face. you have TWO posts on this whole website, and that bull shit you just said is ONE of them. dont post on this website again.

Anyway, hire, it looks as though the top set of leaves is actually "going fine", but those bottom two are not. there is a website that has TONS of pictures of all types of plant problems i will try to find it out and tell it to you. If nothing else, I would remove the two yellow leaves carefully, and the remaining green leaves will be healthy. That will solve the problem short-term, but there is some issue long term to be worked out (either you not using nutrients, or a pH problem, maybe heat as well).
    even though you are watering less often, babies and young plants dont need much water at all. So let the soil become dry and crumbly, and after it does become that dry, then water it. Babies dont need much at all.
    ill let u kno if i find that website

3. letting your plant droop before a watering is putting them into shock, imagine waiting to become dehydrated before drinking. and your soil may have some nutes in it that are burning the plant. (if so scrap the plant and next time flush your soil with pure water several times before planting) also if your watering with tap water that could cause it, the chlorine is burning the plant(let your water sit in jug with the top off, so the chlorine evaporates and the water reach's a room temp so it doesn't shock the plant) if it is a indoors plant your lights may be to close.

4. Plenty of good advice and tutorials around the forums, and you've been given some good advice to look at here too. Have you been checking the PH, and are you overwatering to compensate for waiting days in between waterings? There are a few things that can be causing your plants distress, if you're attached to it you can always gently shake some of the medium off the roots and repot it in better soil, if it's like kjkj13 said and the soil is giving them nute-burn. Or you can start over with some new plants; if they get a better start, they'll outgrow the plant/s you have now in no time.

5. man there's so many things to think about! The worst part is knowing that it COULD be not watering frequently enough, or watering too frequently!

I'm pretty sure it's not that they're watered too frequently. When I do water them, I give them about 50mls which has been sitting out in a bowl for several days (to get rid of the chlorine :)).

The compost they're in is Levington's multipurpose compost in a mix 3:1 with perlite so the drainage is pretty good.

Can anyone else confirm that I should chop off the two yellow leaves? Obviously, it seems a bit counterintuitive!

I really appreciate everyone's help.

6. Hey, I attach this picture because I think it might help identify the problem.

This is how the plant looked just before I watered it. (As you'll see from the peat pot, this photo was actually taken a few seconds after watering) If you compare this photo (before watering) with the one above (about an hour after watering) you can see that it's definitely perked up a bit. Was I wrong to leave it this late to water or what? Would it be safe, at this point, to rule out the possibility of overwatering?

Cheers

Attached Files:

7. Shameless bump - sorry!

8. One thing I prefer is not to use peat cups. They do retain moisture. I stick to plastic myself.

The soil personally looks good.

Here is a technique I use.

Stick your finger in the soil on the farthest away form the plant i nthe pot. If it still moist to the second knuckle of your index ffinger you are alright. If not, water.

PS: curious to what your humidity is. Your leaves are telling me over 60%

9. Yeah I think the peat cups have been a bit of a pain tbh! Not a fan!

I'm quite happy with the watering I think - I think, if anything, I've been underwatering and I have found the finger technique to work quite well :)

As for humidity, I couldn't tell you, I don't have a hygrometer.

Here's a couple more photos. The first is of the first set of leaves which are now well and truly on their way out. What worries me is the second photo, you can see (shit photo i know) that there's a browning starting on the second set of leaves too.

Any ideas? Nute burn or lockout? They're only a couple of weeks old and I'm just feeding them water but i'm not sure about my soil - it might have too much nutes in it.

I think when I water them this evening I'm going to flush them through. Also, i've got a pH testing kit coming to me some time this week.

Cheers

Attached Files:

10. I would say lockout due to the PH level of your water.

I would recommend phing it asap. Get it around 6.5 and things should clear up.

Although I would recommend correction as soon as possible due to the rapid spread.

11. Sorry. Also I seen you have a PH tester on the way. If you can get your PH checked within the next 24 hours you will be fine. So start scouring for one please.

just stressing because I hate to see a nice plant die.

12. Yeah it was dispatched yesterday so it should be here tomorrow morning! In the mean time, any action I should be taking? Would you suggest it's probably too high or low? Or is it not possible to guess?

Cheers again man, rep to you.

13. #13 Thieves, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
    I would use diluted water for the time being just to blindly change things up temporarially.

That's if you dont have tap water airing the chloring out for 24 hrs.

14. Ah, yeah, I am leaving water out for a few days in a pot, so I think that's ok right?

15. Update! My pH testing kit arrived and the soil reads in the normal range (6 to 7) so it's clearly not nute lock out. So, my question now is: from the photos, would you suggest it's nute burn or nute deficiency?

note, i've not added any nutes at all to this point, and i believe it's around about 3 weeks old now.

Cheers

16. I doubt deficiency. (Sorry been away for a few days). Keep watering it for the next few. If any new growth shows the same symptoms then add 1/4 nutes.

the leaves will not revert back to green so you will have to see what the new leaves show.