My lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KittensOnPCP, Feb 13, 2008.

1. I've recently invested in some lights, the metal kind that can clip on to things, they're used for aquariums (reptiles mainly) a lot, and I have been using regular household 70 watt bulbs. I know the 70 watt household bulbs are bad, but any ideas on what I could use in one of those holders? I'd rather not have to buy new light holders, but if it's a MUST, then I will. I'd much rather just buy new bulbs though.

2. huh. i dont get what your talking about.

3. Okay, here is a pic with my plants/tank/lights.
    [​IMG]
    the lights have 60 watt household bulbs in them. What bulbs should I get? I've read household bulbs suck for growing this stuff. I'd like a bulb suited for those holders, but if not, a systekm of lights that will work well for 8 plants, less as soon as they show sex.

4. just put cfl's in the light socket

5. You want the spiral lights, you can find them in just about any store... Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target, Dollar Store.. etc

6. Alright, what about the wattage? Is the highest the best? Or is there a cutoff point where it'd be bad for the plants?

7. The higher wattage the better. Go by actual watts, not "equivalent" watts that they use for marketing purposes. For vegging you want 6500k color temp, "daylight" bulbs. Get 'em quick, your plants are stretching for light.

Why in the fish tank? Seems like that will just trap heat and humidity.

P.S. Home Depot links don't work, it only takes us to a general web page, only the cookie on your computer takes you to the particular product you are looking at. But if it is an incandescent bulb, doesn't matter if it says it's a grow bulb or not, it generates too much heat and not enough light for MJ.

8. Thanks very much for your input.:D I think I may try to pick up some larger pots or even buckets and lights soon, if I get larger things to put them in, i'll probably move them out of the tank and in to a small plastic container with low sides (so I don't get water on my desk).