My Letter to Our Government

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Doughboy04, Feb 20, 2009.

1. #1 Doughboy04, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    As I was perusing the www.whitehouse.gov website I saw that you could write to the presidet and his campaign. Considering this is a big shot in the dark, I decided to write to speak on a necessary deed I feel needs to be done.

Dear Mr. President,

I would first like to congratulate you on your elections as president of the United States. I am writing you to speak on a matter and issue that has long been associated as negative. I am writing about marijuana. I live in the state of Texas, where it is illegal to purchase and/or consume cannabis; yet, I find its medicinal value in eliminating my constant migraine headaches much more suitable then taking Tylenol tablets that only leave me feeling worse than before. I'm asking that you and your campaign take a time out to look at the medicinal benefits that cannabis offers, as I know that there are millions like myself located throughout the United States who face these same issues. I also ask that your campaign take a look at the laws of prohibition on marijuana, as the grounds that they were brought about do not accurately reflect the direction of the now present-day United States. While state-level governments have the authority to legalize cannabis for medicinal purposes, dispensaries and clinics throughout Medical Marijuana states are raided every day by federal DEA agents who care not what state-level governments deem suitable for their citizens, nor for the health of their patients. Harry J. Anslinger, Assistant Prohibition Commissioner of the Bureau of Prohibition, was quoted as saying that:

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."

Is this really what we base our laws on? I am no scientist sir, but from my experience with cannabis, I have never felt feelings of violence, hatred, or disdain to any of my fellow man. I look for it as a natural remedy to illness, and millions of others, who might I add span a mass variety of races and ethnic backgrounds, feel the same. We gather in peace around the nation to voice our concerns, yet we have merely fallen on deaf ears. Our government and media's stance thus far on cannabis has been one of mass negative and ignorant assumption. Science proves daily that there is some benefit to the plant that we are daily incarcerated and prosecuted for. The potential to boost our economy is right before our eyes, yet we have until this point chosen to turn the other cheek. Turning our back to cannabis is turning our back to millions who suffer chronic pains, insomnia, symptoms stemming from HIV/AIDS, glaucoma, anxiety and stress induced attacks, and complications from cancer and chemotherapy treatment. I wholeheartedly agree that the time for change has come, and I justly believe that the time for our government to stop taking a blind eye to a PLANT that has capabilities that stretch far beyond common perception, and poses a threat far less than the millions of bottles of alcohol and tons of pounds of cancer-causing cigarettes. Injustice has gone on too long, and the time to right the wrongs of the past is now. I ask that your campaign take a focused and unbiased look at marijuana and its medicinal value. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

I plan on changing some things around and plan to send this out to my local government. Comments, criticisms, corrections are all welcome. We have to start somewhere, and I guess this is my start. I also plan to keep sending this through their online sending, as well as through the mail until i get a response from someone.

2. Thank you for taking the time to write letters to your politicians, they really do make a difference.

3. Well written

Doesn't sound dishonest or disingenous. No despseration, just truth.

4. Thanks guys. It's almost funny to me, because for the longest I was so against smoking pot. My dad's been a smoker since he was 17. He's now 49 and in perfect health. When I was younger I swore never to do it. I actually looked down on him for it. I looked down on anyone who did it. It wasn't until the beginning of 2008 when I finally free'd my mind and saw the truth. Everything from the "Just Say No' campaigns to the "Live Above the Influence" propaganda is all bullshit and it's time to let it be known.

5. +rep for sending that out man!

6. I was also anti-marijuana until spring of '08. The government did a damn good job tricking us for a while, but lies can only trick you for so long.

7. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. Some people are just natural rebels and came to the realization a lot earlier than me, but i'm gonna try my best to let my voice be heard.

8. I think most people start out believing the lies...because what else is there to believe.

I was one of those kids (until junior year of high school) who went around saying "I don't do drugs. I never will. I just don't need them to have fun. I don't even want to get high."

Of course in drug education programs they always teach you how bad it is but they never talk about what it feels like to get high. My idea of what it was like to be high is just you black out from normal reality and feel this fake rush of like pins and needles for a few minutes.

9. good letter man i hope it makes a difference this shit needs to be resolved soon... anyways good luck and stay high bro!:smoking:

10. Fuck the Government!

11. great letter!
    For years I wondered why the government and society were willing to have me arrested just because I smoked marijuana in the privacy of my own home. I couldn't see any victims in what I did so I couldn't see any reason why I should be living in fear of being arrested.

But I didn't write any letters or speak out mainly because I didn't know too much about marijuana except that I liked it.

But then the internet came along and now I know a lot about marijuana and I know a lot about its prohibition and I'm able to write to my legislators and other members of the public every single day.

This is a marathon not a sprint so we must pace ourselves and learn from our experiences. We must learn how to get our voices heard, and how to put pressure on legislators to vote for a policy they currently fear.

12. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's a PLANTfor God's sake. It's not chemically mixed in a laboratory or sprayed with chemical pesticides, or cut with meth. It's a PLANT, and it's rediculous and disgusting how we have yet to legalize, if at least only for medical use. If we desire to look past that, the economical possibilities are endless. Set up farms, put people to work, export something for Christ's sake. I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but it's definitely not farfetched. But the lobbyist in the healthcare market won't like this one bit when people take a puff and realize cannabis gave them a better sleep than Tylenol PM ever did. it's a shame, but I refuse to sit back and watch it continue.

13. OP you should run spell checker ;)

and when before i smoked weed, i thought it would be like friday where everythnig had after images. DAMN i couldnt wait to smoke weed. i had the chance to smoke weed the 1st time when i was like 6 or 7 when i found my bros weed. i wish i would have haha.

14. +rep. It's only a matter of time before the cookie crumbles. We have Medical Marijuana, and citizens in states all around the country are starting to see and believe that it's feasible. We all just have to stand up and let our voice be heard. If everyone who searched through these forums took fifteen minutes or so to write to their local legislators or the federal government it could make all the difference. It's cool to see pictures of people's grow rooms and pick-ups, but it would be even better if the people who grow these plants wouldn't have to resort to hiding their plants. I'm pretty sure we all went out to vote. Barack O'bama said he isn't opposed to Medical Marijuana if it can be proven that it holds actual medicinal value. Well the proof is in the pudding, and we need to stand up for what we believe in. Anything worth having is worth fighting for. Let's make him stick to his words.

15. Thanks for catching all that. I went ahead and re-sent it.

16. I think everyone should do extensive surveys to see how many people would want to legalize it or dont care one way or the other and send it to the government. legal.jpeg

17. The higher up the government chain goes, the more likely they are to have thier pockets lined with lobbyists money. It's better to start this campaign at the lower levels of legislature, email your representatives and senators.

18. The way laws happen is not so simple. "The government" is not an office of three guys who check their mail everyday.

There are three branches of government: Judicial, legislative, and executive.

• Legislative makes the laws. This is congress (house of reps and senate)

• Executive enforces the law and acts as head of state (this is the president, and the DEA is also a part of this, as is secretary of ______s)

• Judicial is the courts. They "interpret" the language of the law (Supreme court, only matter when some law is being broken but the law is hazy)
    None of these three can do the others job.

So now which one of these three has the power to legalize marijuana? Not Obama. Congress.

In order for Congress to make a law a bill must be written up. It can start in the senate or in the house of rep. It goes through a series of debates and then if it passes it gets debated in the other house (so if it starts in senate, goes to house, if it starts in house, goes to senate)

The way it is passed through each checkmark is if there is a majority vote from all the different representatives.

There are two things that decide what each representative votes: Their opinion, and what they are told is the opinion of who they represent.

This is why its important to send them letters. One to INFORM them of the facts. Two to INFORM them what the public wants.

19. im doing my part . I have been handing out these fliers for medical mary j in my town for a year now. I think I made a difference must have been 10000 fliers!

20. It's not the amount of fliers you send out, it's the message.

If you sent out 10,000 fliers saying "LEGALIZE MEDICAL MARIJUANA" or something that was poorly worded and lacked proper grammar and spelling, then that won't have an effect at all. In fact, it is more likely to have a negative effect.

It's a good thing that you did this, handing out fliers, but is equally important to think long and hard about the message you want to send to people and how you are going to send it.