My lesson in cloning

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by killsig, Sep 10, 2012.

1. So I'm pretty noob. I've done lots of research, seen/helped with a bunch of grows of all shapes and sizes and had a couple small cabinet grows. I've probably only taken 25-30 clones (with about 90% success) in my life..

I recently cut 2 batches of clones. The first batch was only 2, the second was 4.

The first ones I cut, dipped in rooting gel and stuck in soil, then second ones I cut, dipped, stuck in rockwool and put a ziplock over them.

The BIG LESSON: HUMIDITY IS YOUR FRIEND, HIGH HEAT IS YOUR ENEMY

I didn't put ziplocks over the first ones and left them off to the side but still under my 250MH.. They fell over and started to die within 24 hours.

The second batch got ziplocks and were placed under one 23w CFL. They have been sitting a couple days now and look just as healthy as when I cut them, they are bending to the light and seem to be doing great.

When I cut the second batch (day after the first) I decided to put ziplocks on the shriveled remains of batch one. Interestingly enough, after a day of higher humidity and getting them out from under the 250, they have both stood back up and look like they should recover.

Good lesson learned, won't make the same mistake again..

....Every one of my posts turns into a book, I should have made my screen name Ramblin-Pete or something.. haha

2. Thanks for the tips, I'm working on getting my clone game tight

I know you use rooting gel right on the cut, do you use anything in the water or just straight H2O? I know to cut at a 45-degree angle, do you strip any of the stalk to encourage rooting? I tried that (on a tomato plant) with no results, maybe I scraped too deep?

Thanks for the advice!

3. I've never scraped the stalk so I don't really know and certainly can't give advice about it. I didn't use anything in the water. I only use water for a second as a precautionary measure while I make the 45 degree cut. I cut the clone longer than I need, then quickly put it under water and make the 45 degree a little higher up... Then out of the water and into the rooting gel.

I was also told to make sure the cut you make is clean with a sharp clean razor blade.