My leaves are turning yellow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GoingPostal, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Hi, it's been about two weeks since this has broken the soil, and I've noticed that the edges of the leaves are turning yellow. I try to keep the ph of the water about 6.0-6.5, usually when I test the water it is a dull yellow. I know that the round leaves are supposed to turn yellow. What could be wrong with my plant?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. how often do u water and r u using any nutes?

3. feed it

4. I probably water about once every two days, and I am not using any nutes right now.

5. I only see the embryonic leaves turning yellow. Those die off, though it's pretty soon for that.

I'm guessing nute burn, since you monitor your pH Im betting it's because you're using nutes already.

Even if your pH is fine, you shouldnt add nutes to the soil. It would shock the plant. Nute burn isn't just pH related you know.

Never ever give nutes to a seedling. EVER

Only maybe 3-4 weeks later.

edit : crap I started writing this before you replied you didnt use nutes :p Are you sure your soil didnt already have nutes in it before?

6. r u using tap water?

7. #7 GoingPostal, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
    I don't think it has any nutes in it, although I've heard the soil I'm using isn't the best. I think it's miracle gro or something.

Edit: Nevermind, it's sta green.
    Edit 2: Yes, it's tap water.

8. if u r using tap water let it sit out for a day b4 using it so sum of the unwanted stuff can evaporate a lil and try not watering till it needs it

9. Ok, thanks.

10. tap water contains chlorine which needs to sit out to evaporate away from the water before you can give it to your plant.

Also it may contain a lot of harsh metals if you got a bad municipal water processing plant :p

Is the soil miracle grow? what's sta green? Anyway miracle grow soil often has time release nutes in the soil which kills your seedlings.

11. This is the soil I'm using.
    [​IMG]

I also just put out some water so I can water tomorrow, thanks for the help.

12. hmmm while the soil says "with fertilizer" , I have used soil that had the same fertilizer ratios (look at the bottom left 0.13 - 0.04 - 0.09 ) and didnt have a single problem.

So, I think we can remove nute burn problems.

HOWEVER... im curious... what's your lighting? CFL? HPS? HM? Fluos? What's the wattage? What's distance from the plant?

13. Actually, I got the wrong image. This is what I really use.
    [​IMG]
    Also, I'm uploading some pictures of my setup now.

14. doesnt matter. I cant tell what's the wattage and light color of your bulbs by a picture. I could only tell if it's CFL or HID or Fluo.

I need specs ;-)

Sort of like.. would you show a picture of your computer, or the specs :D

15. timed released nutrients??????????????????????/

16. I can't really remember the wattage, they are 20-something. I have four of them in all.

17. ok, what distance from the plants?

18. About 3-5 inches. I just put it on a few magazines to raise it up a bit.

19. #20 Bolthero, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
    Its not the lights. When using CFL's the only way you get leaves to turn yellow like that is when they are touching the bulb directly and get burned. However, the soil might have time released nutrients, but the quatities shown on the lable wouldnt be high enough to shock the plant that much. --- check your setup for other factors, such as dry soil. If your not watering the roots enough the plant will wither. also, you might not have enough trace elements in the soil that the plant needs, which can cause death due to inability to produce sugars.
    As for those of you who say not to give nutrients to a seedling, i find that to not be completely true. If you feed nutrients to a seedling at full strength right from the time they sprout it is a known fact that you will shock them. However, if you use a dilute nutrient water mix then you will not harm the plant. If you use nutes at 1/4 the concentration recomended and use a very dilute solution every couple of days on the plants while switching it off with normal water it is actually beneficial. Keep in mind though, when watering seedlings you dont water to smuther them with the water. I usually use a coke/ pop bottle cap of my dilute nutrient solution mix and then add another cap full of normal water.