my leaves are red(pics)?PLEASE HELP IM CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by scumby, Jun 21, 2006.

1. okay first of all let me say this.when the first start to grow the leaves are green with redish on them its pretty.but im confused if its a problem or just the strain here are some pics attached.they've been doing this since they were very small they are almost 2 1/2 weeks old now.one of my two plants does it, my bigger stronger one.:confused:

[​IMG]

its hard to see the redish from myweb cam but its sorta blood red.

[​IMG]
    full image of plant with redish leaves

[​IMG]
    plant that is not redish
    :confused:

2. Could be that time of the month???? Haha

Nah I have no Idea? My leaves are sorta like yours but mine have a purple tinge to it and only really stay on the underside of the leaves

3. I wouldnt worry about it, ive had quite a few plant do that before but they seem to grow the red out after a while. Plant seems healthy enough so dont worry just keep an eye on it

4. i'm getting yellow blotches on some of the leaves?as in like sections between the veins will be light yellow and if u put it up to the light u can see through it almost. its odd. i flushed my soil a bit in case it was fert burn or something. please help!:confused:

5. what is the temp in your grow space?

6. Have these 2.5 week olds been fertilized already?

7. the temp is 75 spiking 80 .i did stupidly add ferts.i used miracle gro... never again i say. i think it might be burn thanks for ur imputs. im going to get new soil tomorrow some fox farms.any other ideas?i'd like to know.thanks in advance.:smoking:

8. So you used MG soil with time release ferts? Yup that's your prblem; over-fert. Fox farms soil is good stuff. I have not personally used it but, there are many on here that have used it with great results.

9. i got some miracle gro organic.not time released bullshit. i cant fucking find fox farm and the one place that sells it is all the way out there and i cant even get the hell over there on a bus cause, lets face it me carrying 1 ft bag of fucking soil is not happening with some lights and stuff on a bus. especially a long bus ride.i transplanted them and my babies are looking more perky already, no signs of shock yet, very strong plants i say.i got more lighting, i'm using 150 watt cfl and 25 wat flour hanging then another 25 wat flour hanging on the side to get the under foliage then a 13 wat(not really powerful) on one of my other plants with a 45wat cfl. for flowering im going to try and get HPS .it will suck because they cost so much money god damnit and frankly i'm a poor bastard lol.KEEP POSTED I LOVE YOU'RE GUYS' FEED BACK i'll be adding more photos of the progress, if they die i'll show u pics and what i know i did wrong and maybe u guys can help me with some ideas.anywhere know where i can get cheap lighting for flowering?:hello:

10. htgsupply(dot) com

or insidesun(dot)com

ebay(dot) com

if your looking for something a little smaller i know you can go to home depot or lowes for 70-125-150? hps spotlights, i think you have to take it apart a little but a little research never hurt anyone.

hope this helps.

peace
    -dirty

11. thanks dirtystall i appriciate it tons!

12. actually you can even leave it in one peice if you have good ventalation ...

And if you do take it apart cause it gets too hot heres some detailed instructions :D

Take off the light shield and carefully unscrew the bulb (use a paper towel or some sort of clean sheet to cover your hands as the oils from your hands can cloud the bulb, if those oils heat up it can severely reduce the quality of your bulb) The reflective aluminum inside the hood is easily removed, but you'll need a screwdriver.

Remove the mogul (the part that the bulb screws into) using a screwdriver and by this point you should be able to remove the reflective aluminum entirely. Inside you will see wired to the mogul the magnetic ballast. It's basically a big magnet with some wires coming out of it. This thing heats up quite a bit and the fact that it is simply put together with the light is a flaw in nearly every security light's design.

Now the tricky part is rewiring the ballast so that it is extended far away from the light, so you'll need to research the size/gauge wires you'll need and you'll have to get some heat shrink tubing and a saudering iron and some sauder to make electronically safe connections. These things are cheap individually, but put together can run anywhere from 20 to 40 dollars depending on your area, but any good electronics store in your area will probably have these things for relatively cheap. Once you have rewired (takes a while) put the magnetic ballast in its own metal box with a computer fan attached to it (wire the fan to a 9v or 12 v transformer (transformers are cell phone chargers basically, but you have to convert volts to amps to determine which one to use on the fan, just takes some basic mathematic conversions)). Once you have attached a computer fan to both the light hood and the ballast box, it pretty much won't heat up more than 2 to 4 degrees ambient air temperature.

Hope this helps, wiring and electronics was the hard part for me and I simply had to have someone else do it for me the first time and I would probably still need help were I to repeat the process. But if you do enough research, relax, and TAKE YOUR TIME, you should be okay. Good luck.

lol these instructions are by infiniteawesome if u wannna give some +rep give it to him

13. oh and if you can't afford all the stuff u need to make the cord longer i think you could just buy some wire to make it longer and some eltrical tape to cover the connections and it would work fine i'm pretty sure :D :D ..........:bongin:

14. what are your ambient air temperatures? the green tinge in plants is caused by the plants production of magnesium during photosynthesis as it uses its clorophyll to absorb sunlight and convert it into various proteins. Two kinds of chlorophyll exist: red and green. Green chlorophyll is the most prominent and generally produces the most amount of energy for the plant. During cold seasons, for some reason or another, the green clorophyll cells die, leaving only the red chlorophyll, which is resistant to the cold. Depending on the strain and growing conditions, some strains of marijuana will turn red, but in most cases purple.

Sometimes the strain has been bred to turn red or purple, which is what I believe has happened here as I don't believe many nutrient deficiencies or burnings cause a slight redish tinge at the base of certain leaves, but I could be wrong.

I'm just a beginner, but that's what my research has yielded me. Your plant looks healthy and from the sounds of it, it's doing just fine. Keep us updated with a journal if you could if you haven't already.

Good luck.

15. at the momment the very top of my stem has a redish tint? any cause for this? it is a white widow...and the stems from that shaft have a lot of white hairs on them

16. Perfectly normal, how its meant to be.

17. AAAhahaha Im a newbie grower and even I can tell you. It normal it'll soon change green. Damn man smoke a joint, relax, let nature take its coarse:wave:

18. i'm have a job interview on tuesday you guys at the airport in the food court!so i'll be able to buy myself some hps for flowering and make a light proof box.the way i do things are sort of inventive, low cost, and economical.i'll probably buy some caulking and ply wood and build my own.you guys are helpful, thanks. in a few days i'm going to post more pictures of my babies, they still have slight tint of red when they first grow new leaves ect.but they still have some nute burn f rom my mistake they're recovering quickly though.they've grown so fast and so strong i'm pleased.how tall should i let them grow before flowering them. i've heard 8 nodes... 1-2 months but i'm not sure. what kind of strain do u think it oculd be?i know its some sort of indica by the type of stoned feeling i got when i smoked that bud.it was very nice.keep posted!:hello:

19. 70-75 ambient air temp. no hotter no colder.my place is very well temp. controled cause its like 111 degrees outside and lets face it i love it 75 degrees.i cant sleep other wise or relax if its hotter or colder.:eek: i'm going to set up a grow journal and give you guys a link to it. maybe itwill teach us all a cheap and easy strange growing method from my madness and in combination of your guy's help!:smoking:

20. Scumby,
    If you are using MG organic, make sure you mix some perlite in there for drainage. MG does not have great drainage and without the perlite, it retains water which can lead to over watering. Sorry I am late on telling you this. Just be aware of it. Usually, purple stems, especially when the plant is very young, is a strain characteristic. Put the plant into flower when the nodes on the plant are alternating which usually occurs when it is 12+ inches tall.