My lazy/cheap closet grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by soundslikeboxer, Mar 31, 2010.

1. #1 soundslikeboxer, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
    A little backround on this whole setup..

I got had bag seed leftover, throw it in a pot that already had a plant in it and put it on a window sill (I didnt even know of these things would grow or not and didn't care at the time)

Set it on a window sill for some sunlight, where they sprouted and started to get some vertical stretch goin on (kept it like this for about 1 1/2 weeks). This interested me so I decided to put a little more effort into it

I ordered a ghetto rigged hydroponic system on ebay for 25 bucks which consisted of a water container, 3 net pots, 1" air stone, air pump, hydroton and some general nutes.

A few days later I also got a 150w sun systems HPS with a timer and its currently hung about 7" above the plants (I think I should have it closer but dont have a fan yet)

The attached picture is about 2 days under the HPS (maybe 2 weeks old?). Sorry the pictures crappy, I'll get better ones later.

Do you guys think I need to make any changes? The right plant looks so-so and the left one is wilting and I think Im going to give up on it lol

Oh yea one small issue I had.. when I moved the plants from the soil to hydro, within a day they started wilting a lot. I suspect "overwatering" cuz the baskets were almost an inch into the water and were under a shitty 3000 lumen CFL. I ended up putting the middle one out of its misery

Attached Files:

2. where is your water level at in comparison to the bottom of the netpots?
    i often start off in soil when growing from seed and then transplant into hydro. a small, short wilt period is not 100% common, but is ok, and understandable for sure. other than that it sounds like you are on the right track.... are you donig anything for nutes yet? and you will want a fan asap, not only will it help keep heat down, and spread the fresh air around, it will promote healthier stems as well.

3. now the water level is just almost the bottom of the nets. Im just using whatever hydro nutes came with the kit (nutes came in an unmarked plastic bag) so I'm assuming theyre a generic NPK mix. I'll be getting a fan soon cuz it does seem a little warm in there

4. Drop the water level so that the nets are misted, but not submerged.

The roots want to be wet, but they need air. The bubble stone will take care of that.

The ball at the base of the stem from which the roots come, wants to be dry. Keeping it wet will drown those suckas.

5. BOOM!! there ya' go. couldn't have said it better:wave:

6. #6 soundslikeboxer, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
    Seems like the plants are growing so slow.. or maybe I'm just used to seeing them reach for sunlight? The wilted plant also hasn't gotten any better or worse.

The top leaves of both plants are kind of curling upward, not from the tip but from the sides. Is this normal?

7. Just keep the lights as close as you can get em w/ out burning the plant. If you can hold your hand under it for a minute and it doesn't burn ya, then you're probably good at that distance.

8. The leaves are turning a little pale now on the right plant. The "older" leaves at least, and the newer leaves on top are starting to wilt a little as well. Anybody have an idea whats up with this?

9. up your nutrients. I grow hydroponically, and when I have young plants, I let the older leaves turn a little pale before I increase the nutrient ratio (from 1/4-1/2-full strength). This ensures the plants don't get over-nooted, which can kill em outright real quicklike.

10. thanks man just threw in a little more nutes.. hopefully i'll see improvements in the next couple days

11. Got some updated pics. I upped the nutes the other night, no big difference today but it'll take a few days I supposed. Can anybody identify the problem here?

Attached Files:

12. its a little tough to tell, but as long as you have new, green growth from the tops, i wouldnt stress too much. at such an early stage, any little hiccup can disturb them, and since they dont have fully developed growth systems yet, it is common for the first set or two to turn yellow and eventually fall off.

i have had this happen from a quick ph shock, root shock from being transplanted from soil, a cat nibbled on a leaf one time..... ect... i have also overfed, and had the twisty leaves, and had a few turn yellow after things got back to normal.

13. ah maybe its a transplant shock since they did come from soil