My lawn mower stopped working.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Cloudyjon, Aug 22, 2012.

1. So my lawn mower is only about a month and a half old, and it ran fine until today. I ran it out of gas while mowing a couple days ago, so I put some new gas in it. I put 93 octane gas into it because that's what I put in my car. It started fine then just idled down and shut off, now it will sometimes start but run really poorly. I smelt something funny to.
    Is it the 93 gas? :confused:

It was a cheap ass 70 dollar mower btw.

2. Um, could be the gas. Is it good on oil? If its running dry it wont idle. Make sure your starting it on a flat surface as well.

3. I think maybe it was flooded , going to try and get it going later . Its only been used like 10 times!

4. i just love you for posting this hahhahah

5. #5 ollie123453, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
    try with regular gas, check the spark plug, and the carburetor for dirt since you ran it dry. also, when you got it, did you have to run it in? after running in, 4 strokes need and oil change really.

also for $70 i'm not surprised its not running lol. really you should be spending 3 times that for one that's gonna last, buy it once then look after it, rather than going threw many cheap ones.

6. So it still isnt working, oh well. Atleast I have a excuse as to why I can't mow my yard on these 90 degree days!

7. Since it is so new, did you check the oil level? Also remove the air filter and try it.

8. What kinda mower? You might have to use a mix of oil and gas

9. It's a murray incase you can't see it well in the pic.

And it's upside down, so you probably can't.

Attached Files:

10. Carb could be dirty, air filter could be clogged. The octane could have been too much for the piston to handle, you could need a rebuild. If the oil was bad enough for it to start running poorly you will also need a rebuild.

Try pouring gas directly into the carb. If it runs then that's your problem. If not, rebuild it, if you can;t do it yourself it would probably cost less to buy a new mower.

11. One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and I don't say I have read all the responses, but have you checked your fuel filter.

When a tank is sucked dry sometimes it will fill the fuel filter with trash and then the mower won't run, or won't run properly.

12. So we took it apart today, well tryed to diagnose it. We found out the throttle cord basically isnt pulling enough, so we have to figure out how to fix that now. Thanks for all the replys :wave::smoke: