my kid is smoking pot... wtf?

Discussion in 'General' started by untamedlion33, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Yeah I started at 16 (I'm 18 now), and although weed didn't fuck with my work ethic/priorities, I started to view everything in a different perspective. I think I matured (mentally) from smoking weed.

If your kid has his priorities straight (A's and B's), let him smoke. Make sure he doesn't slack off though.

2. Aren't you gay?

Edit: Well, I guess that doesn't matter, there's ways around that.

3. Since you're a "straight A" college student, you'd think you would have learned by now that anecdotal evidence doesn't really work to defend an opinion such as this.

4. Get super angry and scare him for a whole day and that night tell him you were kidding and he can smoke if he wants, but if he shows off more then it will be like today. He might only smoke pot to be cool and not even like it. I know some people who did. Tell him smoking weed isn't cool and never will be so he's gotta be responsible if he's gonna blaaze.

5. Kinda off topic but I thought you were a gay man, OP?

6. Lolololololololololololololollololololololololololololollolololollololo LMFAO! LOL
    :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

7. Ridiculous argument. Citing flawed and biased Adolescent Psychology research funded by NIDA which has clearly stated that it does not fund research studies showing benefits of cannabis use only the possible detrimental effects, doesn't merit double blind clinical studies in order to refute.

8. Argument? I'm not arguing anything. I have no idea whether it's harmful or beneficial to the adolescent brain.

My only point of contention was that you used anecdotal evidence to make your point. Being that you are a straight A college student, you should know that anecdotal evidence doesn't really have a place in debates such as this.

I started smoking weed at 13 and now my cognitive ability is severely fucked up.

See how that works?

9. ^And pennsylvania sucks.

10. Good thing I have a great memory "my fellow keystoner!"

:D

11. you should have raised your kid in a culture of secrecy and privacy

the golden rule, make your child learn it

"don't get caught"

12. #52 casualty, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
    I understand your point but in the absence of unbiased conclusive clinical research, first hand experience is what we have to work with in this area. Now if the federal government would drop cannabis down from schedule 1 maybe we could get the final word on it scientifically.

I believe that you are incorrect to say that it doesn't have any place in debates like this, we are on the Grasscity forums...not the journals of Science and Nature. I consider myself an honest person so I offer up my personal experience against biased, often inconclusive, or simply contradictory psychological studies. You can take it or leave it... doesn't bother me either way. I know many people who feel the same way I do about it, they don't see any real detrimental effects to their cognitive abilities. Just think where the cannabis movement would be today if we simply took the governments word for it when it comes to this subject, instead of sharing our personal experiences with each other.

13. Isn't that a bloodhound gang song?

14. That would be ideal!

Which is perfectly fine most of the time. Although I think internet forums are slightly different since none of us actually know each other and are unable to judge one's character simply by reading their posts.

To be 100% honest though, I think I agree with you that marijuana doesn't negatively effecting cognitive abilities. There are also numerous studies I just found in Storm Crow's list that agree with you.

15. Ya I get where you are coming from. Perhaps I shouldn't have flatly stated that they were wrong in their opinion but I guess I get a bit bothered by the corrupt aspects of many of these psychological studies. I was reading one just the other day on Pubmed that was seriously trying to point to a causative relationship between cannabis and chronic pain, just because of the fact that a lot of people with chronic pain use cannabis....lol

Most likely any cognitive disfunction is only temporary. If you have low tolerance you may still feel some fogginess the next couple days. What I've found personally is that once I hit a threshold of tolerance, it doesn't really have much affect on my mental abilities at all. Some general feelings of well being and some analgesic properties.. maybe a bit sleepy or hungry depending on the strain. I performed a few of my own little experiments, for instance, getting really high the day before a midterm vs abstaining. I didn't really feel any difference.. if there was any fogginess it was completely wiped out by my adrenaline increase from nerves.

16. this is ignorant. frankly, even if i disagree with her stance, i admire the fact that theres a teacher who gives a fuck.

to op:

id take it as what it is, diff people feel different ways bout weed an the sort, but you should count yourself fortunate that your kid has a teacher whos doing more than collecting as paycheck.

17. This guy is spot on! I can't stand half my "professors". They don't help for shit, just sit back with a grin and collect. Your son has no idea how lucky hd is for having a teacher that steps in.

18. Personally I started smoking at 18 and I wouldn't allow my son/daughter to do so until they reach adulthood either. My dad has done all kinds of bullshit in his time but that didn't stop him for chewing me out when he found some seed and stems in the toilet my junior year. I say you shouldn't let that pass for now.

19. OP did you smoke with the little fucker yet?

20. Let him hit a bowl of hash.