My journal. Organic closet grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by monkeysquad, Jun 1, 2012.

1. #1 monkeysquad, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
    Just starting my second indoor closet grow. I want it as stealth as i can, but I had a real bad heat problem my first time due to poor planning and cash (which i feel now are the two most important/underplayed things to have if your going to do this lol).

First thing i did is i.....roughly....installed a 4 sone 50cfm bathroom ceiling fan in the ceiling to vent hot air directly to the attic, This has my current temps at 79-81 degrees with only 3 lights. Might add a second fan in ceiling or instal an intake fan in a fake wall socket on the bottom right of the closet sucking air in from my bedroom...or both.

I'm actually using a different base soil this time because the garden supply store i go to is back ordered :devious:...so i switch to a different one they had called Gardener's Gold..which turns out to be practically identical..just a little more mulchy pieces than i'd like. I will be starting the soil mix for after the transplant soon..also working on light proofing the edges of the door and considering LST if all goes well.

Attached Files:

2. Got 6 lights going all together..5 60w 5500k cfl's and one 2500k..two fans..the black one oscillates...sealed edges of door for light and cut carpet out from under door creating a pretty strong draft in....keeping temps at a solid 81/82 with exhaust fan on

ForumRunner_20120602_002908.png

3. #3 monkeysquad, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
    just starting the second week after planting germinated seeds in soil. glad to see three evenly growing plants, and it looks like they're healthy too. so far so good...

this is only my second grow so please comment!!!! any suggestions are greatly appreciated, i've still got a LOT to learn.

Attached Files:

4. ...hey bro, I just went through your last journal, just to see how things turned out your first grow...a couple things I would definitely do:

1) I would flower your plants much sooner. You know since your growing under cfl lighting, your going to get some stretch...but if you were to flower them sooner, they would finish shorter and you'd be able to get light to the lower parts of the plant....not to mention, you'll get less of those lower popcorn buds.

2) Look into lollipopping your plants ;) Here's a video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arr94XiKokM&feature=related]"Lollipopping" your Marijuana plants - YouTube[/ame]

5. awesome! thanks for browsing :D

that video is very interesting.. definitely seems a lot easier than LST, and i need a way to increase yield or fatten 'em up. it could work better too since i'm not very restricted on vertical space, and that seems to be LST's main advantage. i'm gonna have to look into this more..

you said i should start flowering sooner?..i think the only reason i took so long last time was because i was waiting to see the sex of the plant...how soon should i be flowering? or is there something else i should look for?

6. ...you can force flower your plant at anytime...when you give them 12/12 photoperiods you will force the plant to mature sooner than nature.

7. Thanks man!! all this info is great and it really has me thinking now. .I think what ill do is let them get to about 12" then put then under 12/12 flower abd put a screen for scrog. Ill akso cut off all under growth like the lollipop method..that way I can use the top 3 feet of closet for a veg cabinet to start other seedlings/clones later on...I just wonder...should I wait to establish a solid canopy before I trim back what's below the screen?...or just wait till its a certain height then just cut back...say the bottom half of all branches.

8. A couple pictures I took today..^_^

Also i think I might transplant to the soil I used in first grow...noticing a yellowish tent but not sure if I'm being paranoid

Attached Files:

9. ok its been 2 weeks since i first put the seeds in soil..i hit a wall with my substitute soil, all three plants started turning yellow and the growth was stunted pretty bad. i finally got my hands on the soil from my first grow and transplanted them into it about last weekend.

i waited till yesterday night and transplanted into my mix and watered. there were LOTS of roots and i'm happy to say i've got three healthy plants again!!

added a TON of light..right up until they effected the temp and stuck with 9 100w 6000k CFLs..adjusted the fans to keep airflow over the plants and up and through the lights to direct air to the exhaust fan. time to start thinking about my screen:smoke::smoke:

Attached Files:

10. its only been 3 days since my last post, but i just wanted to show the improvements in the plants since i transplanted them into the mix and into the 11" pots. also you'll notice a slight re-arrangement of things for the preparation of immoveable pots, and how hard it'll be to water later on. the two on the left look a lot different to me than the one on the far right now. i'm hoping for an indica....any thoughts?

oh and the only picture of the top of a plant is the one in question. thanks!!:smoke:

Attached Files:

11. so i was reconsidering the scrog method because i am growing these plants again from bagseed and can't rely on them all three being females. if i get them all the way through veg and covering the screen quite a bit switch to 12/12 and realize ones male..then what?

i don't want to reduce my yield since that would negate the scrog in the first place, but
    some seeds would be nice so i don't have to use old badseed..(i can't find any locally)..what should i do?

12. well..unless i'm told otherwise i think i've decided to bend them over and tie them down as soon as they get big enough and going that route at least until i find out if they're female or not...then if i'm still feelin it i could throw a screen on them later for shits and gigs..

..maybe i'll just have to forget my paranoia and just order some fem'd seeds online.

13. ...give the attitude a try, they have a pic and mix if you want a small amount of seeds ;)

14. Sweet..I've heard a lot of good things about attitude...my only real concern is the delivery, I don't really have any options other than my house...which is the only reason I've never ordered seeds..

should I be concerned about this? Anyone else have experience ordering seeds on the east coast?

15. here's some picture of my progress so far..just watered and pinned some more growth down..two in the front are doing great the one in the back is thinner but has a lot of length..

still wondering if anyone has had good luck shipping seeds to east coast US..and if i should trim back the lower growth thats completely under the plant and/or touching the soil??:confused:

Attached Files:

16. [quote name='"monkeysquad"']...anyone?[/quote]

Just do it. Everything will be fine.

17. I've had good luck with Attitude. Don't worry about it. If anything, put a different name in the shipping address.

18. mayybbeee

ok maybe..i mean i might as well give it a shot....probably would'nt do it without both a prepaid visa and fake name lol

so i've been folding large fan leaves under the new growth so far and i started noticing with how low the main stem is to the soil i'm getting practically no air flow under the plants. so i decided to trim a few of the fan leaves that were obviously too low, growing directly towards the soil and bending up weirdly or slightly pale from lack of light. and accidentally broke a branch of new growth :mad: i just left it alone to see what happens since there's a small sliver still attached at the back......damn

Attached Files: