My imagination is so vivid I can feel whatever I want (no I'm not high)

Discussion in 'General' started by mary_who, Aug 22, 2011.

1. This will sound ridiculous but whatever it's GC.

My imagination is so vivid that I can make my body feel certain sensations. For example, if I imagine touching a concrete wall I get a small sensation of the rough, cold texture. If I imagine smelling the ocean, I get a small sensation of smelling salty water. I can also make myself "not" feel things, small amounts of pain are easy to subdue, if I hold my hands together, I can make it so I only feel my right hand and it gives the sensation of holding someone else's hand. I have a lot of control over micro muscle movements that I can also use to shape my imagination.

It's odd but these sensations are felt in the brain and not the location they should be. For example, imagining touching concrete will create the sensation but it will be in the brain not the hand. This is hard to explain but I know that the brain gives all touch sensations "location" data. So when someone touches your leg you know they touched your leg, but because it's my imagination I assume there is no "location" data. I've also seen this in a scientific study where users would wear a helmet viewing themselves from a camera behind them (essentially 3rd person), but when the person was pinched they felt the pain where they see their body, and not actually on their body.

ITT: Discuss my schizophrenia.

2. Your brain is responsible for feeling certain sensations, this isn't uncommon. That's why some people tell you to think of a really cold drink on a hot day.

3. I have that kind of control over my imagination too OP. Its a lot of fun and very useful at the same time.
    Pablo Picasso said "everything you can imagine IS real" ...who's to determine the distinction between 'reality' and 'imagination' anyway, or at least which is most imperative to life.

4. Maybe your a super hero.
    The amazing guy who can feel concrete in his mind!
    lets listen to him tell us how it feels.

5. there have been studies about this that have shown that when a person "remembers" something it stimulates the same parts of the brain as when people actually experience something.