My homemade carbon scrubber under 25$

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by OwnGrown, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Ive been concerned with the smell eminating from my closet stealth. After reading a few posts here and in other places ( and deciding i wasnt gonna dish out over 100 bucks for a commercial one ) ive decided to put my inspiration to work. Thank you GC for your informative posts and creativity. Here's what i came up with.

just buy a 6" duct cap, a 4" X 6" increaser an odor control carbon fliter from any major big box home improvement store, a handful of cable ties, and some foil tape.
    Cut the plastic mesh that comes with the odor control kit so it fits inside the 6" cap, then cut the carbon and fabric filters to the same length as the plastic mesh and roll all three into a tube shape. Secure the plastic mesh using cable ties. Use foil tape to secure the metal fittings on either end to the plastic mesh and then attach to your outlet vent.

Odor Control kit, 9.00
    plastic cable ties 4.00
    foil tape 4.00
    two metal fittings 7.00
    total 24.00
    (your prices may vary)

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      430.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      133.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      441.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      159.6 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      202.4 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      375.3 KB
      Views:
  2. how well does this work for you looking to do this same idea

3. seems to do the trick pretty well. if it gets overpowered during the peak phase of flowering (im told thats the stinkiest time) ill post that too. i want to make sure i give good info to the city.

if it does get overpowered id probably just buy a second carbon filter sheet and wrap it around the first to make a second layer. we shall see.

4. very cool. what kind of fan do you have hooked up to this?

5. i installed a can light / exhaust fan in the closet. when you look up at it from underneath all you see is lightbulb. but there is a fan that pulls air into the fixture and out through the exhaust like any other bathroom fan. its about 80 CFM.

6. Im a bit confused you said this is a "carbon scrubber" Isnt carbon a black granular material? That looks like some kind of felt stuff.

Edit: silly me im guessing you will fill up the middle with carbon?

7. its carbon material but to make it better you could put carbon in it as well i made a carbon filter and it worked well but they are cheep enough to buy i got mine off ebay fore £22.99 that's about $30 and £5 pots and packing

8. That blue stuff you see in the pic is not carbon material, its just fiber filler, but if you look closely, you will see a sheet of black material wrapped up with it, as well as in the other pic where i layed everything out. it is a sheet of activated carbon.