Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

my heart rate goes up while high!

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Dawson_Canuck, Jul 31, 2007.

1. normally when i get stoned my heart goes up insanely high! like i have been running for a few minuites(but i havent), is that bad or anything. it doesnt really worry me at all but im just wondering how fuck'd up it is lol! does it happen to anyone else or what do u think is going on?

2. well does it feel bad? no its not really bad just a side effect i think:smoking:

3. no it doesnt effect me any, its not even im worried or anything lol. i still feel good to lol just wonder for a min if its normal then forget about it haha

4. Known side effect. It depends on your brain chemistry and the strain. It's usually a sign of the onset of a panic attack (or rather, people freaking out about their heart rate may initiate the attack), but as you experienced it's not necessarily weird or bad or anything. Just something that happens.

5. just bc your heart beats faster doesnt mean its bad for you entirely. it will help burn off fat and cholestorol. i think thats how ive lost weight from smokin weed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. haha sweet ill rest assured:p and i dont have panic attacks afterwards or anything lol

7. That happens to me sometimes....but why is this in seasoned tokers, i'd think a seasoned toker would know that

8. my pulse goes up a little but not as you describe...do you have high blood presure?

9. my heart beat sometimes goes up i actually noticed it a little bit last night

10. I've noticed this recently during any kind of sexual activity...when I'm horny my heart starts POUNDING and sometimes I feel like it's going to explode! It freaks the hell out of me but like afterward it goes away.

11. This definitely happens to me. Not so much anymore I don't think, but it used to.

12. Haha, isn't that a good thing that your heart rate goes up with sex? I think its healthy, or at least a good sign.

Sometimes when I smoke my hear starts racing, but I just tack it up to the weed, relax, and let it go. Its all fine.

13. Yea THC increases your heart rate. Very common side effect.

14. I used to have a medical condition called SVT, Supraventricular Tachycardia. What it was was an extra nerve in my heart was causing it to beat rapidly (tacycardia).

I talked to a few people that had it as well (apparently its pretty common for a heart disease), and one thing we all felt was a strange sensation right before it started, and for a few moments while your heart is beating 2x its normal rate......

I've since had it corrected with surgery, but years later, I started smoking pot, and I felt that same feeling again, and the same fast heart rate. Its called Tachycardia, and it is a side effect of pot.

Having experienced these palpitations (fast heart beat) throughout my childhood, I can say they are relatively harmless. You definetly feel flushed and like something is wrong, but I think it rarely causes anything serious (like fainting or worse, cardiac arrest).

A few things you can try is to tense up all the muscles in your chest, as hard as you can for as long as you can. I dont know how it works, but its a technique my doctors taught me, and it stopped palpetations. Or you can hold your breath.

15. woah thats wild. holding my breath tho....i think that would make me pass out or heart beat faster:p

16. yeah i noticed this a while back when i smoked waterfalls (for those of you that don't know what waterfalls are its like a gravity bong but instead of a bottle with the bottom cut off its a bottle filled with liquid that you poke a hole in the bottom to drain the water and suck in the smoke)

anyway it only happened when i did waterfalls and it only happened when i used shitty weed. i smoked a little bit of really dry mids and it gave me the chest thumping, but when i smoked beasters through the same bottle i didnt get it.

on a side note i used to be a huge fan of waterfalls cuz it gets you EXTREMELY high off like half a cubic centimeter of weed. but now its just a really harsh hit and its a really empty high, like i feel like im in an altered state but i can still think like im sober and i just dont feel retarded, same weed through a bubbler however and im laughin my ass off.

17. @OP -- It's perfectly natural for your heart to beat faster when you smoke... Especially with low to moderate doses, as they increase the Sympathetic Output of your Autonomic Nervous System... With higher doses, you'll experience the opposite...

You're having palpitations, which almost everyone has at one point or another... highly recommend getting it checked into by your doc - as they can be a sign that something serious is going on... Especially when caused by physical activity (like sex :D)... If you have more than 4 in a row, that's called Non-Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia, and is something you need to get checked asap... Also, if they occur in patterns (like every 2nd/3rd beat, or it'll happen for 2/3 beats, stop, then start again)...

You had an extra nerve? That's interesting... Can you be a little more specific, though? I'm asking because I have SVT/A-FIb/A-Flutter, and would like more info if ya have it :D

Lucky you... I get sharp ass pains, tightness, and dizziness -- basically all the symptoms of a myocardial infarction (Heart-Attack)... It's scary as shit and hurts... Like REALLY hurts... :(

Low-Moderate doses of pot increas Sympathetic output (makes your heart beat faster/stronger)... High doses increase Parasympathetic output (makes your heart beat slower)...

These problems ARE generally harmless, though they CAN be a sign of other heart-problems, and should always be checked out by a cardiologist/electrophysiologist. SVT can translate into VT (Ventricular Tachycardia), or even worse VF (Ventricular Fibrullation - sp???), which is life-threatening. It can also cause the blood-flow in your heart to be disrupted, which can cause a clot -- and we all know what heppens next...

I've never heard of this... Ima have to try it next time I have SVT/A-Fib/A-Flutter :D

18. I have noticed that about every other time I smoke I have an increased heart rate. It doesnt bother me none, in fact its kinda cool. Its usually the first thing I can focus on after smoking for a sure-sign it's setting in.

19. Exactly....it happens to all of you lol. You smoke, your heart rate goes up, your metabolism goes up, which is why u get the munchies....

20. WOW! I used to have bad pulpitations when i was a young'n, and used to hold my breath all the time to fix it, i guess i figured it out on my own lol. Its good to know this is not a dangerous thing, as sometimes i get a racing heart when im high.