My grow box (literally a cardboard box)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Giggity Goo, Sep 1, 2009.

1. #1 Giggity Goo, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
    Here's my grow box. It's made out of a wardrobe moving box, which has a ton of vertical space and ample floor space for 2-3 plants in 3 gallon grow bags. The box costs $11.95 at Uhaul (link) I lined the interior with panda film (highly recommended, paid $20 for a 20'x10'). This setup works great in a walk-in closet because it blends in well once you tuck it away and throw some clothes on top. I hope that it can help someone create their own "el-cheapo" grow box.

Lighting: ~150w of 6500k CFLs for vegging, 150W HPS for flowering
    Ventilation: 1x vornado fan for circulation, 1x modded Stanley Blowerfan for exhaust. Temps stay under 82 degrees

Opened up from the outside
    [​IMG]

Light + exhaust at the top. Lots of vertical room.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Intakes with carbon filtering material on them
    [​IMG]

Closed up. Normally I have the intake side facing sideways, so you can't see anything when walking into my closet.
    [​IMG]

mmm
    [​IMG]

2. Nice little setup. +Rep!

3. Shit man that's just too EZ!
    Good think'n! :cool:

4. That looks perfect, and that plant sure looks healthy.

Can you hear the fan and shit when you walk into the closet though?
    I'd imagine it would be pretty loud, but I don't know.

5. #5 Giggity Goo, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2009
    Thanks for the compliments guys. I have two fem AK-48 flowering right now. They smell delicious :).

Yes you can hear the exhaust fan if you walk in. I didn't do much too conceal the sound/smell because I personally don't need to. I have the fan on bungee cords. To hide the noise you would need to put the blower in a sound deadened enclosure. I'm sure having a carbon filter would quiet it down too.

[​IMG]

6. how are you able to have the cardboard box support the weight of the light? I just currently ghetto rigged a cabinet thing and it was rediculous to make work, but I may just use a cardboard box since it would be easier.

7. Lol i got the same sorta deal goin me and my mates cut holes in the side to setup the ventilation to a 400w HPS i got white widow and super silver haze in there atm im so excited xD and for the person who asked u can distribute weight over a larder area like threading string from the light through the box and tied to say a ruler; gives it larger surface area

8. How the hell is that box supporting that light!?

Dude! great job!
    My first grows were in card board boxes :D

9. he has a wooden beam across the top to increase the surface area of the lights pressure n watnots, im doin the same but i got like 2 things instead of one.. one for each side

10. cost of lighs.fixture??????

11. you have inspired me

12. And to think of all the boxes in my house that never get opened could have weed plants growing in them.