My grow box - Any feedback greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by prideufc83, Dec 31, 2008.

1. #101 prideufc83, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
    Hey man thanks for stopping by. Im glad you liked it, you need to see what i did to it today. I got tired of tying them down so i freed them. I finally came to the realization that they were going to outgrow the space no matter what. I took that bitch of a cab almost completely apart and re-configured it. I couldn't get pics in time cause it was their night,night timez so Tomorrow morning i'll get some up for you guys to C. I should have enough room now, i might have to tie em down a bit in the last few weeks but it should be good for the side buds to get some extra light. Speaking of lights Bori, i agree. I need to get my CFL's unpacked and up in that bitch, lol. I was thinking of getting some LED's but i'm not sure what a good price is yet. I'm going to look into it though. Have you ever seen the phototron? that shit is sick, i'm thinking of building something like that in the future. Maybe after a few more grows. I'll have to picks up tomorrow so take care guys. Them girls are almost 3 1/2 feet, scary shit!! I hope it works out.:rolleyes:

2. I finally had some time to post these pics. This is the latest update to the forever changing grow-cab. I got tired of seeing the heat stress that my girls were having so i took the ceiling off and used that same piece of wood to make a wall on the top portion of the cab. Unfortunately i had to consolidated space and keep the fan in that little compartment. I know its not good to have so many turns in the duct but i have no choice. If it becomes a circulation problem then i'll cut out another hole and straiten things out. For now i don't want any more holes cut out of the box if it isn't necessary. The temps are a little higher because i added the CFL's i had used for my seedlings. I had to add some more fans for circulation since the space got bigger. I know it doesn't look nice but they work great. Their cylindrical too. The top one oscillates to cover the canopy and the one on the bottom points in two directions. I pointed one to the back and the other towards the door, everything is moving nicely. I've noticed that the plants are drinking water a lot faster. I have to move the meter down every day sometimes twice a day. Let me know what you guys think.

I was wondering if the EC/or Ms levels i have right now are safe?? My meter reads 2.6 and 1.23 for PPT. take care.:wave::smoking::wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    THIS PICTURE DOESN'T DO EM' JUSTICE - THEIR IS A LOT MORE BUD SITES THAN CAN BE SEEN HERE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First Grow - DWC - GRow-CaB - 19th Day 12/12 - 150w HPS + 3x41w CFL's

3. im pissed i found this one so late in the grow...looks great...
    n o yea 305 all day...if you could pm me about the nutes n shit...im lookin for a local shop n cant really find any good ones

4. Been following this grow for a while as your cabinet it very similar to one I'm thinking about setting up. Before I make the leap and invest in the equipment I'm hoping you can provide some advice based on your experience thus far.

My main concern is odor. At this stage, with the carbon filter are you finding that it takes care of all the scent or is there still a discernible fragrance? Like you I won't be venting outside but just passing it through a carbon filter back out into the room (inside the cab as you originally had it). My condo has central air, but the only smells I ever pick up from other units are not through the heating/AC, but out in the hallway from people cooking in their kitchens, which are near the entrances to the unit. The space I'm considering for the cab is a 6' x 6' walk-in closet. This space seems the best as there are no vents to the central air system, it is in the back of the condo away from the main door, and can be closed off. This leads me to my other questions.

Do you find that heat is a problem? I'll be going with soil, so I won't have the concerns about reservoir temp, but I am worried that a cab in a closet won't be able to effectively dissipate the heat from the vented air. If smell isn't a concern, would you recommend leaving the closet door open to address this?

Lastly I'm wondering about power. I have an outlet outside the closet; with a 3 pronged high grade extension cord do you think I would have issues with the ballast? I've read here that you should never run an extension cord to a ballast, but so long as everything is grounded I don't see the problem here.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, and for posting such an informational journal. I've enjoyed reading about the ups and downs of your grow and am glad to see the plants coming along so well.

-SpruceGoose

5. wait up, im so lost on what you changed man... ill be watching from now on hah

6. Nice alteration on the cab.... I'm sure they will like stretching into the extra space in flower

7. #107 prideufc83, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
    what's up Extracurricular? thanks for checking out the thread. If you look back through the thread you can compare and see the difference between on the left side of the cab. Not too much change just made the head room expand about another foot or so and i had to move the fan over and compact it. take care and stop by soon, i should have some more pics up soon. :wave:

Hey thanks for the compliments. Them girls seem a lot happier since i've given them more room. Hopefully it will pay off in buds.

8. #108 prideufc83, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
    First off, thank you for the rep and for following my ups and downs. i've tried to keep thinks as informative as possible so that people can learn from my mistakes. I too learned a lot from other peoples post but as you already know their is a lot of post and a lot of reading to get shit right. On top of that every one has a different opinion or way of doing things.

\t 1.\tI would have preferred to keep my filter on the inside of the cab but as you know from reading the thread i let my girls grow too much and cause me to move it outside. I don't think it has affected its performance in any way and i do not get odor problems( as of yet), they are however starting to increase in scent. To tell you the truth i only really smell them when the door is open and i'm checking up on them.

2.\tI have had heat issues with my res and i've never done a soil grow so i'm not sure if it will affect you or not. I have and inline 4" fan. This fan works good but if i could go back i would have definitely gotten a 6" inline fan instead. The 6" might be too much for the space i'm using but 4" isn't enough, the fan speed switch i'm currently using would have taken care of that problem though. Especially after i expanded the grow area the heat has increased slightly. I've read here from seasoned growers that more exhaust is always better than not enough, I just wish i would have found that thread before i bought mine. If you noticed the pics on my thread, i use two 4"computer fans on the side wall of the flowering chamber. This helps a lot! BUT, it only helps when the doors on the right are opened. I want to run some ducting from them to the right side of the cab so that in the future the right door can be closed. I cannot do it now because the right side of the cab is against the wall and will not draw enough air. But if you have space on the sides of your cab that can be an option for you. I only close the right door of my cab at night when the heat isn't too much of an issue.
    \t

3.\tI too have my Grow-Cab in a utility room. It's a little bigger than 6'x6' and it doesn't have any air condition ducts that run to it. Whenever my wife closes closes the door to this room it make the heat build up. when i open the door after it has been closed for a while it's like walking outside on a hot day. NOT GOOD, i bitch about it to her but she always forgets, lol. So to answer your question, yes leave the door open as much as possible. Again, i'm not deep into the flowering stage yet so i'm not sure if the smell will be a prob but for now it hasn't. I think that for the amount of plants i have and the relatively small size of the area that need to be purified the smell wont be an issue at all.

\t4.\tOn the extension cord i'm not sure if it will be a problem for you or not. I could only tell you what i'm doing and you can compare and make your own judgement. This is my situation, I'm not living in the states right now so my outlet power is 105-110 as opposed to the 120 we use in the states. My Fan, and 150w HPS run on 120 so i bought a transformer that will convert 110 to 120. From the Transformer i have a power strip that connects all my lights and timers and the fan. The rest of the cab has power outlets installed just like you have them in your house. The ones at the bottom of the flowering are has two air pumps and a oscillating fan connected to it. on the other side of the cab i have the computer fans connected. My cab gets all its power from ONE outlet. I used a regular orange workshop extension cord and cut it to the length i needed. It plugs into the 110 outlet and i ran it to a splice box on the back of by cab. Their i used high grade professional wiring to run the power to all the power outlets in the cab. One at the top for lights and fans and two at the bottom, one for each side. I didn't just tape shit either, use wire nuts and splice boxes so you can keep shit as safe as possible. SO, IN SHORT, I USED AN EXTENSION CORD TO GET THE MAIN POWER IN MY CAB, things have been going good so far and no corners were cut. I live in a rental home so i couldn't do more in that area. TAKING ALL THIS INFO INTO CONSIDERATION(remember i only have 150w HPS) I THINK IT WOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM FOR YOU, THEN AGAIN YOU DECIDE.

[​IMG]
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-...row-box-any-feedback-greatly-appreciated.html

First Grow - DWC - GRow-CaB - 21th Day 12/12 - 150w HPS + 3x41w CFL's

I hope this info has helped, good luck and feel free to ask more questions. If you didn't understand something i wrote let me know and i will clarify it. take care.:D:smoking:

9. wow, very nice set up. probably one of the best grow cabs i've seen on this site. Please keep us updated cause i'd like to see this through to the end. what strain are you growing, them bitches are big! good luck with that. :)

10. #110 prideufc83, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words Joe, and thanks for the rep too. You too smoove, i do appreciate all the input. Their isn't much going on right now just some pic updates. My meter has been acting up on me because i haven't received my probe cleaner yet. Does anyone know how to clean the probe without the solution? Thanks in advance. :smoking::wave::smoking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mmmmm....morning bud pics

looking dam nice man....

12. Thanks guys, i can wait until i smoke these girls. They are starting to smell very nice!
    Does anyone know how i can clean my probe without the solution? Thanks

13. swish it around in mild soapy water and rinse it off with tap water (not distilled or RO)

14. Thanks for the info AugustWest, i'll give it a try today when i do my res change. take care.

15. Man they're looking great, very excited to see the end result. Thanks Pride for the reply and tips, picking up my cab this weekend, got some supplies on the way and should be up and running in a couple weeks. You and the other blades here at GC have really inspired me to make the leap and get growing.

16. That's good to hear Spruce.., im glad the tips helped out. Im new at growing too so it feels good to know you can help others out. keep me posted on you grow and let me know when you start so i can check it out. Just remember, do it right the first time and spend the little extra dough, it's worth it! good luck and thanks for stopping by. :D:smoking:

17. #119 prideufc83, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
    Things have been going ok for the girls, just a couple of minor issues with the cab. Once again the height is becoming an issue. These bitches grow fast!! I had to start tying them down again. I hope i don't stress them out too much with all this tie down shit!. My ph probe has also been dropping to 3.63 almost every night. I know its because the probe is dirty and has salt built up but my solution has not arrived yet. I have to clean it every day but at least it still works. To be honest i'm not even sure if the readings are correct because of all the scrubbing. I have an aquarium ph kit that has be in the area of 5.8 to 6.1 so i guess i'm cool until my shit gets here.

I got some more pics of the progress. Some of the leaves are starting to seep some crystals so i'm excited!:D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tied down, i hate doing this but i have no choice.
    [​IMG]
    Show me the tricombs!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First Grow - DWC - GRow-CaB - 27th Day 12/12 - 150w HPS + 3x41w CFL's

18. #120 Norma Stits, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    looks great dude!!

you'll be fine the way your tying them down.. looks like the stretch is over man.

i'd try and get some 7.0 PH solution if you can, so you know whether or not your meter ius working properly.