My grow box - Any feedback greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by prideufc83, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Looking good Pride! All girls so far, AND YOU GOT THE GROW BIG! WHOOOO HOOOOO:hello:

lol...j/k

Anyway, dude, you top at the begining of the veg state as to change the structure of your plants, therefore creating a more managable plant with MORE BUD SITES!:p What you've done is simply topped a non-vegging plant, and the side branching will slow to a hault from this point out, so it won't have any time to take a major effect.

Looking good, nice and organized! I'll be back in 8 weeks to see the buds!

GROW ON!

2. Thanks for the info Guru. I should have researched it a little more, most places i looked say to top a week into flowering. I know their is a lot of contradiction in these forums but the best way to learn is the hard way. I know now so next time i will do it right. What would you say a good time is to top? 2-3 weeks into veg maybe? Thanks again and take care.

3. I top on the third node and again on the fifth. You top when you want to top inorder to create what you want.

4. Hey, its legal evil, you posted up on my thread, i am just starting out, it looks like you could make some serious green off that set up, i would remove the frut and nutes and have the plants grow tall in the other side but the set-up is yours, as i am still a newb i cant really give you much input, shit is looking good tho, i ll be looking for a grow log soon, as i am starting my grow around thursday mine will be up in a few days or two, anyways best of luck hope you get around to checkin mine out when i get it started haha,

5. Thanx for stoppin by Legal_Evil, i'll be checking your grow as soon as you start it up. I see what you mean about using the other side if the cab but im not lookin to grow for profits. This is just a hobby to me. It started with me wanting to see if i could do it and then i feel in love with it. I just want to grow some buds for myself and make a little hash, you feel me. Maybe in the future i will use it as my mother room, and right under that shelf i'll add a small fluoro for the clones. gotta keep myself in stock! Take care and stop by again.

6. Well, i had to make a decision about my space issue and this is what i did. I took the filter out of the chamber and moved it outside the cab. It is no longer stealthy but it had to be done. I don't really need it to be stealth but its always better to be safe. As soon as i hooked the filter to the exhaust side side i got a huge blast of carbon dust in my face, it was a little funny but it really pissed me off that i didn't think about that. I then took the hanging brackets off the lamp and used a super durable cord to hand the lights as close to the ceiling as possible. Now i've increased the headroom about 5-6 more inches. It is still not enough room to let them grow without stringing them down and thats my next little project. I'm most likely going to start it tomorrow so i will leave that for a different post. I have an idea now after days of trying to figure out how to train the plants without having to staple them to the walls with zip ties. I've noticed that the chamber is a lot cooler now that the filter is out. The air exits faster but it seems to go out of the filter a little slower. I know it doesn't make sense but my thermometer backs me up. I can feel the air exiting the filer when i put my hands on it so i know its working fine and i know i have no leaks on the attachment points. To be honest i like this way better, not only do i have a little more room but i can now position the duct right next to the lamp so that it sucks the heat out first. Thats probably why it's been a little cooler lately. Has anyone set their filer up like this. I'm sure it is going to work but i'm worried about smells. It should be the same result, i mean its the same concept? Here are a few pics of how it looks now and of the girls progress. Im going to check my P.O.Box tomorrow to see if i got my cal-mag in yet. I'm still having a little spotting here and their but not too much. I'm sure it will help a lot though. Take care guys and thanks for stopping by.

P.s. I still haven't figured out how to delete pics from my gallery so if anyone can help my dumb ass out that would be nice. LOL. peace :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HOW ARE THE GIRLS LOOKIN!?:D
    [​IMG]

For those of you looking for a little fan to put in a small cab or grow box, i found this coleman camping fan that runs on one d size battery for 10 bucks. I just point it up to keep things moving.:smoke::smoke:
    [​IMG]

7. lookin good.

Since your not trying to be stealthy ... is there any way you can build a box, or could use black/white panda film, on top of your cab? Cut the top open, leaving some for support, and hand lamp from your ceiling. Not sure you want to go thru all that but an option that will give your a few more feet of space.

8. well, i've thought of cutting of the ceiling part of the chamber and putting the lamp all the way to the top of the Cab and using the piece i cut off on the side and hook up the filter their. However, this current height problem is my fault. I started 12/12 too late. Instead of stating after 4 weeks of veg i waited almost two and a half months before i went 12/12. If i had started when i was supposed to i think the final size of the plants would be about the same as the current size. Give or take a few inches.Do i make sense? Cause in fuuckkedd up right now!Lol. Laterz

9. yeah, cool-tube.

10. hey rumple, you finally stopped by. I started growing after i read some of your threads. I even got the DWC ideas form your bubble bucket info. I love your grows man, i can't wait to get back to the states so i can find a co2 system and get something like your setup going. Anyway, you mentioned a cool-tube. I know they take up less space and that they don't get hot because the air cools it very fast but can the plants grow all the way to it and even touch the glass without burning? or is it just a heat and space saver? take care and thanks for the help guys.

11. This is one of my favorite grow closets i think i ever seen. Props to you dude for making a kick ass grow closet like the design. Cant wait to see the finished buds.
    Keep Tokin

12. Well, thank you very much StonedSage! I take great pride in doing things right. Im a perfectionist but sometimes it drives me crazy! I can't stand to do things half assed. I've seen some pretty shameful grows out their but people make it happen. LOL, they work too. I wish i could make it even better but my locations has hindered my progress. When i move back to the states it's on though. I'm going to use this cab for cloning and mothering so i can have an excuse to build a super flowering chamber with all the trimmings. Thanks for stopping by and i thank you for your support.

A quick update on the girls. Today i noticed a lot more pistils(very tiny), and most of them now have two white hairs instead of just one. The smell has increased a little too but nothing crazy. My leaves especially at the canopy level seem to leak water in some spots. At least i think its water, it doesn't have much of a smell. I changed the res out and added Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom only. My ppm is about 1050-1100 and i have an Ms of 2.03. The plants seem to be responding well, i have no damaged leaves except for a few dead and nute burned ones at the bottom of the plant. The majority of the plants look great. Soon i'll have the Cal-mag in and that should help. Does the calmag raise ppm/Ms? take care guys.

13. #93 prideufc83, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    What's up fellas!? I've been thinking of ways to maintain the growth of my girls without going through some major reconstruction of the cab. Next grow they the height wont be a prob, i just started flowering to late this time. I wanted to SCROG but i need to remove the res to change it and clean it, so thats out of the question. The best thing i could think of was to tie them down with some twine and that's what i did. I drilled small holes around the edge of the lid at about 4 inches apart. It seems to be working fine and as they grow and try to stretch back to the light i can always cut the twine and tie it tighter. Next grow things will go better but i'm still happy with what i've accomplished. I've been looking around other peoples post and i've seen most of them show small nugs at 10 days. A bunch of bud sites all over the place! I'm at 13 days and i got a couple of pistils here and there, WTF?! I'm guessing it's because im using a 150w HPS but then again im not too sure what the other have. Maybe they were using 400w. The lumens make a major difference huh? I also treated these girls very bad when i first started and didn't give them good nutes until the 4th or 5th week of veg. Maybe thats why the pistils are forming slowly. Im now using the Foxfarm nute schedule to a T. Has anyone grown using a 150w HPS? Is this normal? Thanks for stopping by and take care guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the pistil sights i've been getting more and more frequently but not as fast as most of the grows i've been following.:(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is probably the newbiest question on this forum and the most desperate one too, but, if i were to cook this up in butter will i get some THC. Most of these trimmings are from veg state. Im not even sure if cannabis veg leaves have THC but what ever. Any info would be nice, cause if they don't do shit i'm going to toss em'. Im almost embarrassed to ask this stupid question but it's been on my mind for dayz.:eek:
    [​IMG]

Feb 22, 2008

I needed to tighten the lines because they reached for the light and loosened the knots. I didn't tie them hard but this time i did. In doing so i bent the stock a little. I've seen a lot of videos where they do this on purpose but im not sure if it's ok all over the plant. So far its only happened in two places but to different plants. Also, needing to make room i tied them down in ever direction i could manage. The leaves and plants have started to overlap and crowd each other. Is it ok to have them crowd up like this. I'm just trying to keep them from the light so that i can avoid the heat stress. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. #94 LEDJunkie, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    I really dig your setup. I think I am going to use yours as a model for mine. I found the cabinet you used kinda.
    here is what I am going to get.
    Coleman TR2
    Its a little bit more expensive than the cabinet you picked up but its already painted and also has a lock. After a little bit of research I found out its made by Sauder also. It just doesn't have the rod through the middle which is okay because I can fix that. I think from your experince I am going to go with a 400w light.
    Thanks for posting your endevor.
    PS. you could paint your cabinet if you wanted. Just do a light sand with a rough grit paper.(a portable belt sander or a body sander would make it quick and easy) you shouldn't have to primer it. It would make it a better finish but if you are just wanting to get rid of the wood look then it wouldn't be as involved.

15. for the babies I would use softer lights and get the closer to plant.It looks like you useing bulbs, they are cheap but have limits. Try the 24" flourecents for starters. Once you get them 4" turn up the power bolth insoil &light system, carefull not to over fertalize when there young , you can kill um!!

16. Thanks for stopping by, that cab you picked looks awesome!! Not only does it look nice but the lock is a plus! I just recently put a latch on mine but i have no need to lock it right now. Soon though. It looks big enough too. Just remember to start flowering @ week 4 so that you have room. It looks bigger that it is! Trust me I screwed up and waited to week 8 or 9. Plus i have a res that takes up at least 15 inches in height. Are you using hydro or soil? I wish i would have bought the 400w HPS too but be careful if you are using hydro. I've had a hell of a time maintaining good temp, I have about 7 frozen water bottles in rotation and its a bitch! But you gots to do it for the babies. LOL Im sure with the 400 you will get great results but to tell you the truth i'd avoid it in a small cab unless you have superior ventilation or it's a cool tube. That's what i'm getting next. If you can't afford a cool tube try a 250W, i know its a few bucks cheaper than a 400w but it may be safer. Anyway, good luck and hit me up with a link to your grow. I'll subscribe to it and see what you come up with. Take care.:wave:

17. Hey Katmandu, thanks for the input. Im way passed that stage right now but i'll keep it in mind for round two. Peace.:smoking:

18. the pistils keep coming and i'll post pics soon. nothing worth posting yet so i'll be back. take care and grow on, peace.:D

19. hey man.. great looking seup and plants!

as far as bending those plants like that.. look up supercropping and read up a little. IMO it might be to late to do such drastic bends, but a little tying down never hurts.

best of luck man :)

20. wow:eek: i just followed the link from the comment you made on my thread and i cant believe this has passed me by. TREMENDO FUCKING JOB CABALLERO!!!!:hello:. That being said my friend me and you will need to pick each other's brains a bit cause you setup is top notch man, i am really impressed by your ingenuity.

to answer the question you made on my thread, i have 3 x 45 watt led panels, each produce 3000 lumens each but i havent used them at all in the flowering stage because of space issue's:mad:. i have been flowering now since january 20th and still i have about 2 weeks left so im almost there! it appears to me in your setup that you need more supllemental lighting, maybe some warm white cfl's near the bottom and sides if you can squeeze them in. other thna that you are doing a fantastic job!

be well and safe growing

Bp:cool: