My grow box - Any feedback greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by prideufc83, Dec 31, 2008.

1. no, i used MG for a week in the second week and thats it. this has just happend in the last day or two. im using Foxfarm right now. i think my ph might have been too low. i just change it so we'll see.

2. By MG I think your referring to Miracle Grow... I should have said Magnesium, sorry about that.

That spotting in those pics, and some leave look folding upwards a little(tacoing) tend to be signs of a Magnesium deficiency. A product like CalMag+ or Magical could be helpful.

Edit... but check your runoff PH

3. Yeah, these are are my thoughts exactly^^^
    All the events culminating up to this point have caused a bit of a lock out for your plants on the mag end of the spectrum along with some burn, so the best thing to do clean the res and the roots and start over.

4. And get that grow big ! lol

5. :smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking:SOON :smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im starting to worry that i might run out of space. Should i start flowering?? and if so i should use more nutes during flowering right? Also my ppm was 800 and EC 1.8 today it is 740ppm and EC is 1.45. this is a good thing right? take care guys.

6. Everything looks fine! Just remember, when you flower those babies are gonna shoot up a bit so start soon enough that a big jump in height won't matter.

7. Thanks Guru, im going to give it two more days. Then im going to change the res and flush the roots. These girls have drank half the res in two days!! Do you have any suggestions on how much PPM i should have when i start flowering? i know every strain is different but i want to get close without hurting them. It's going to be more than when vegging right? take care and thanks for the support!! Toke on

8. I've been monitoring my res water since i hooked up the meter and i have a couple of questions. i haven't found any solid info yet. My PPM and E/C has stayed about the same, maybe just a little drop in both. My ph on the other hand has been dropping little by little all day. The water in my res has been dropping very rapidly too. They are drinking lots of water. Soon im going to need more water. In about 2 days its drank half my res, thats about 2 1/2 gallons! Is this going good or do i need to do something else? i read peoples post saying that the topped off with water, is that because it still have good nutes left in the tank? thanks again take care guys. Also, i've read several times that people start to flower hen the plants are 10 to 12 inches. My girls are at 17 right now. im seriously considering starting my flowering stage soon, i really need to know what a good ppm level is during flowering. i dont want to have any issue come up during flowering, this too much of an important time and i just dont want to have the probs that i had during flowering. help me, peace!:smoke:

9. Dude, you're putting the PPM on a pedestal...lol

Just get off that thought for a second. Instead, think about things like good water, feeding correctly (according to FF schedule), and how those things affect your PH. If your PH is right then your PPM should follow. If you MUST have a number to make you happy then take a reading and compare that to what Fox Farm has to say about where your PPM should be. Its that simple. No one in their right mind here, would try and give you a figure to shoot for - considering they aren't growing the plants themselves(each plant eats differently) Understand?

Anyhow, as to your question regarding topping off, yes that works just fine. Make sure that the water you are adding to the res already has nutes in it ( I.E. add the nutes accordingly to what ever amount of water is being added) this way its already PH stable.
    Now as for flowering, again...Do you want to start flowering now? If so then do it. If not, then don't. In your cabinet I WOULD.

Peace,
    GROW ON!

10. hey man your grow is looking awesome for your first grow, just keep an eye on that upward curling... :eek: due to MAG. Sweet Growbow TO!!!

11. #71 prideufc83, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Man these bitches grow big fast!!! every morning i open the cab and an explosion of growth has happened. Im on my third day of flowering and im happy to report that the Thai haze is a female.:D Im super happy cause i really didn't want to get rid of it cause the roots are all tangled. I've been thinking of ways to scrog or train the upward growth of these girls because im out of room. everyday i raise the light two to three links, soon i'll be in the ceiling. It's not the process that is hard for me, its the fact that i take the lid off to flush and to clean and change the res. I have a water release valve but its on the side of the res against the wall. If i scrog then i wont be able to take the res out. Is it possible to scrog and not remove the res anymore during flowering? Just add more water and nutes through the mesh pot? Another thing i thought of was using staples on the cab wall and tie some string to hold them down. If you guys got some ideas hit me up. My girls are looking bushy and im thinking of clearing some of the leaves on the lower part of the plant. I almost did it today but i got very sad that i had to hurt my babies. lol. I might wait until they start dying off. Is that a good idea or should i remove them so that the plant can concentrate its energy and effort on budding?

:smoking::wave: :smoking::wave: :smoking::wave: :smoking::wave:
    Also, i've been taking the dead and damaged leaves off and storing them in a Tupperware container. Do vegetative cannabis leaves contain THC? Lets say that the Thai Haze was a male and i was able to determine that 3 days into budding. would the leaves get me high if i cut it down and dried them. maybe if i cooked it in some butter? This is probably a stupid question, in my opinion i don't think it would get you high but i'm a newb so what the fuck do i know!!

I know it may seem like plenty of room but take the lamp hooks into consideration. Also, i'm only three days into flowering, i'm not sure it can accommodate 7-8 more weeks.If any 1 out their has delt with this before hook me up! remember my res situation though. I think i'm going to use an individual bucket DWC system next time, or maybe even a flood and drain. Who knows, maybe i can add a valve to the front of the res and that would help. Im definitely going to do some good research for my next grow and start everything off right. I'v been noticing that most people on these cannabis forums either start the flowering phase at 4 weeks or they start when the plant is 10-12 inches. I started at almost 8 weeks and at 17 1/2 inches. It probably would have been even bigger if i had started off with good nutes and proper Ph. You live and you learn!

Take care and thanks for all the help and interest guys. smoke on.:bongin:

[​IMG]

by the way, i bought Cal-Mag on the advice you guys gave me. It comes with some clearnex and some hydro..., something that is now called sweet. has anyone used these before? how much do i use and is it good?

[​IMG]

12. #72 Extracurricular, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
    damn, i wish i had a nice box like that, maybe ill invest someday... id make it a ngb style box dude.... get that entire left side to be a SCROG flowering chamber, the right side can be veg/clone chamber, and the top can be the electronics and hardware. you even have enough room for nutes and other equipment. bad ass stuff man.

ps - what are you lining that box with man? is that piece of cardboard still attached to the back? if you put a piece of solid plywood up itll help quiet the vibrations from everything down..

13. Lookin awesome! I still prune in veg, but once 12/12 hits, no more cutting. Even though its bushy, you can tuck and bend any leaves/stems to expose some of the lower growth to the light. The fan leaves left on will give support in late flowering.

You could also put some cfl's down near your res if you wanted to:)

14. #74 prideufc83, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2009
    these girls have gotten so big!! i cant move the light up any further, its already hitting the filter. i've felt around just in case it gets too hot for the pre filter, it seems fine. this morning i had to tie down one of the shoots because it was getting heat burn on the new leaves. i stapled some zip ties to the wall and use another zip to draw it closer to the side of the cab. I think i will see myself doing this a lot in the weeks to come!! if i make it that far. having the ph/ppm meter is great but it's also a burden on my mind knowing what is happening all the time in my res. recently i have had a problem keeping my ph stable. i have been using alot of ph up/down but i have no choice. i like to keep it between 5.4-6.0 or even 6.1 but when they go lights off i have the ph @ 5.6 or so and in the morning its at 6.5!!!!!! i've been reading around and i know that their are many reasons for it. i use frozen water bottle to cool my res and usually only during the day so the temps do fluctuate. i have a 5 gallon res, even though most dont think its a prob i wish i had a bigger one. i have some little dead root pieces that have broken off from mixing the res water. i usually mix it after adding the ph solutions.

Im seriously considering a soil grow next time. it just seems easier and less stressful. if i were using a room instead of a cab i think DWC or hydro in general would be better but for a cab im starting to think soil may have been a better choice. i could use the meter i bought for DWC to monitor the res water that i will use for watering pots and that way i don't loose my investment. Ph up and down and temps and this and that, too much shit to deal with for three little plants! if i had 50, then maybe. i just hope i make it through this grow! LOL take care guys and i will have some pics up soon.

Also, i've been 12/12 for 6 days and i haven't really noticed any difference, is it too soon?

15. yeah zip ties and any other way you can keep em from getting hot is what id say, thats an issue I and many other people have been hung up on before, kinda tough to have a good way around it really..

Iv'e thought about like a plexiglass clear cover above the plants, or maybe some chicken wire fencing, Ive had velcro strips on my wall with shoelaces sandwiched between tying down branches, something to stall the top canopy.

Do you think you could move your filter/ rearrange some stuff and maybe get a few more inches up top?

About 2 weeks in you'll start seeing hairs everywhere, then fat buds, then fat buds in yo pipe.:)

16. Hah, i hope i get some fat ass buds in my pipe!!! I think im going to keep doin what im doing and hope it works out, after all this is my first grow and i feel that im not doing too bad considering all the shit i put my girls through and how unprepared i was when i started this. For gods sake, i started with one incandescent light bulb!! It's funny how much this hobby grabs you. It's not for everyone cause you need a lot of patience. It might be easier for some to just go out and buy some but for me its an honor to grow my own! Achill.., i've considered rearranging the filter so i can get some more room but i haven't done it yet. I might get 2-3 more inches but i'm not really sure. My cab looks bigger in the pics than it really it is, or at least i feel that way. Im going to go out and buy some string but i'm not too sure that it wont cut through the stalk or something. I think i'll be alright, i just got to keep an eye on them and soon they'll be done. i saw the first sign of flowering today. im a little worried because it looks like a banana but it has a hair comming out of it, it's really small so maybe its a bud that hasn't filled yet. I've put my girls through some shit since i didn't start prepared, so i hope i didn't make them turn to herms! thanks again for stopping by Achillesstand, take care buddy.:smoke:

Ganja-guru, i finally got my grow big Hydroponic nutes in. They are the same color as the soil mix but they have a different ratio. The hydro are
    3-2-6 and the soil is 6-4-4 i think, anyway what the hell do these ratios mean. I contacted Foxfarm and asked if it was ok to use the soil mix in a hydro system and they said yes. Only that i needed to use a little less and add more or less depending on the plants response. I just though i'd let you know so that you can help others, take care.

17. I took some pics of the way i have set up my schedule so that i don't forget and i also finished installing my fan speed switch, which was super easy. If anyone needs help with theirs let me know. I went out and bought an expo dry erase board so i can keep track of the daily effects in the res, hopefully it will help be gauge what's wrong whenever something comes up. I also posted some pics of how im training the stems so that i can conserve space, any ideas in this department would be great. I took a pic of the girls with a 1 quart bottle of grow big ro you can have a reference point as to how big they are. A week ago or so i tried to top my Thai Haze which is the one in the middle. Somehow i think i didn't do it right. Nothing has grown from that point on, now i don't have a main cola in the center shoot but the two that flank it have grow really big. I really paid attention to videos and to forums that had pics but i somehow got it wrong. Oh well, as long as i can get some nice buds i'm good.

One of the pics i posted has what i think are the beginnings of some pistils, can anyone confirm that so that i can have some piece of mind!!!! LOL
    Sorry for all the pics dial up guys, but its 2009, please get with the program!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Im out of room, just a couple of chain links left.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The line up. I also keep the chart close so it's always right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they are pistils but i always doubt myself. The other two plants are feminized seeds so this Thai Haze is the only one i'm worried about.I looked at it with my magnifying glass and i think i saw a white hair coming out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. yep, those are pistils.... lookin good

19. #79 prideufc83, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
    hit it up and go for it newgrowNY, i started with an incandescent light bulb and got shit little by little.

20. This is an off topic post but i'm stuck and i cant figure out how to delete images from my gallery. i just figured out how to add pics to the gallery but i need to remove one and i cant for the life of me find a way to do it. can someone point me in the right direction. thanks.