My grinder wont collect kief anymore - HELP!

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by spikeystud88, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Ok, so I've been using my beloved Chromium Crusher ($20 on ebay, FTW) for the past 10 months. Thing is awesome, grinds really well, gets the job done. Now this baby has never been *amazing* at collecting kief, but it does do a decent job. Lately I've noticed the screen seems to be blocked, so I cleaned it (the entire grinder too) hardcore with a toothbrush. Thought it was clean, so I hadn't been worrying about it. Fast forward a couple months and now it's literally collecting NOTHING! After smoking 10gs+ in the past 2 weeks there is barely anymore kief. FUCK!

So how can I clean the shit out of the screen? ISO soak or what? I dont even care about keeping the stuck kief, I'd be down to wash this bitch in the dishwasher lol. It just pisses me off when I see other people collecting 10x the amount of kief I collect in a month in one day!

Help me out blades!!!

2. ISO soak, your golden.

3. There are only really a few things that can go wrong. The screen can be too coated for anything to pass through -or- you the bud may not have any trichs. I had some fire when I first got my grinder and had tons of kief. The next few batches (3-4 8ths) did not produce nearly as much kief but were still pretty good bud....

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. You had a good idea with the ISO wash. You can collect or toss whatever you remove.

Just be really thorough, if you're getting tired of waiting and you're tempted to think it seems 'clean enough', then it's probably not... if you under-clean your screens using ISO or a bong cleaner, you create a minuscule sticky layer of glandular material on the inner edges of the screen, then even if it looks like debris can pass through, it will be hindered to some degree.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. i had the same problem with my chromium, soak it in iso, and make hash, i got .4 of qwiso just from soaking my grinder... '

6. that happens to my cc to what I do is once a month ill take a toothbrush and clean the screen

7. personaly id say your problem is that your weed is more damp than the previous when i get a dank strain and i want to kiff it i leave the bag open for a little while and let it get crispy....i mean given that your screen looks clean...good luck!

8. Yeah, I thought that might be the best way. Are there any guides on here? I know it's not hard, but when dealing with alcohol I dont like to fuck around lol.

That could be it too. The dank has been real hit or miss lately, so I'm sure that's adding to it. But I *definitely* can tell a big difference in the overall amount of kief it's collected in the past month or so.

Yeah definitely. That's why I wanted a guide, that way it's almost impossible for me to fuck up lol :cool:.

Damn, .4?! That's insane man! Did you follow a guide on here or what? I'd be uber happy with any amount of hash lol.

Yeah, I tried that a few weeks ago. Got a lot of kief doing it, but sadly the screen still seems to be pretty blocked/clogged :(.

Thanks everyone! Spreading some rep to ya'll now...

9. Qwiso that shit, I iso washed my grinder a month or two ago and got a couple nice rips of hash.

That kief tray will turn into a fuckin sandbox again after the screens clean.

10. get a zip lock bag put iso in it then one piece at a time shake it then take out rinse with water and.make qwiso

11. Fa'shizzle! Damn, cant wait to finally have mounds of kief again.

Ty bro! Tried to rep you again but it wont let me, I think I did earlier. Thanks again! At work now but once I'm home will definitely try this.

Thanks everyone! <3

12. I hope it works and thanks fir the rep

13. If you need a guide, this is pretty simple:

- You need a small metal pot, or a glass measuring cup (large enough to hold your grinder, dismantled). Avoid plastic or tupperware; the ISO can eat into, or even through it, which will negatively effect your hash.. smoking plastic isn't good :)

- Let the grinder sit completely under the ISO over night, or at least 6 hours. The next day, you'll want to give a quick toothbrush scrub while it's still sitting under the ISO.

- Remove from the first ISO bath and set aside the now-murky ISO, and in a separate container, give it a 'fresh' soak in clean new ISO, to remove that last sticky layer I mentioned earlier. Ten or fifteen minutes should do it, use the tooth brush again, focusing on the screen/s. This second batch of ISO isn't worth keeping, at least in my opinion. You could combine it with the first if you like.

- Allow the first batch to evaporate, using either a varying duration of time depending on how much ISO and the temperature of the room, or heat (be safe and sane, keeping this short I'll just say check the ISO guides).

Now, enjoy your ISO hash, and your freshly cleaned grinder.

14. I've heard of a few people putting a dime into their grinder to help knock down the kief off the screen. Two of my buddies have tried it, and it works great for them. Make sure to wash it throughly though.

15. If there's enough make some qwiso!

16. Time for a grinder wash (grinder QWISO). Take a shots glass worth of 91% isopropyl alcohol and put it in a zip lock sandwich bag, and then take each piece of the grinder and shake for about 10 seconds each, then dump the contents on a dish and let evaporate. Your grinder will be perfectly clean just like new and you will get a lot more hash than you would think, especially if you have never done it before.

When I washed my chromium crusher for the first time after only maybe a month or two of use I got probably .3-.4 of hash. It was extremely dirty (not really dirty just caked with kief) but you get a lot.

17. Ok sweet. Yeah, I've had this thing since January 1st of this year (good way to start the year :D) and haven't ISO cleaned it a single time. I've used the toothbrush method and stuff, but never ISO washed. Should be interesting to see how much I get :D!

Thanks again!

18. yah, just fill it with high% iso and close it and shake it around over a glass dish.
    thats how i did my first iso wash =)
    i save all my stems too and do the same thing. except in a tall drinking glass. and then tweezer pick out the plant matter afterwards

best of luck spikey!

19. Hey spikey whats up? Hmmm, yeah the iso wash is best. but only use enough to get the screen fully soaked. if you want ot make it into qwiso, if you use too much, it'll take longer to dry out, and you wont get as much kief out of it. nice deal btw, on the CC. I got the smal size titanium- space case 4 part... its great at collecting kief. But my newest batch of herb hasn't been full with THC on the leaves. It's very leafy and not dried out all the way.

I'd say turn it into a ritual spikey that whenever you notice, or rather, once a month soak it in some iso, pull out, and do it with your other pieces. Then ollect all the goodness in the grinder.

20. I know youre all answered up, but i do the same as most here, a quick iso wash and some yummy hash left over :D. I keep my kief for special occasions, so i dont get much hash when i iso wash the grinder, but ussually enough for 3-4 good size bowl toppers :)

Cheers.