My girls are too tall and bushy

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HungLikeADwarf, Jun 29, 2009.

1. So my girls are about 5 weeks old and 6 days into flowering.

The problem is that they're already half the size of their grow space. They each had growth spurts a few days before I decided to flower them.

Also, there is tons of under-growth that aren't really getting sufficient light and I've seen pictures of people who have completely trimmed the lower section of the plant to promote air-circulation. Is this OK to day while they're flowering?

I'm thinking I may have to start bending them or something. Any one have any input?

Here's some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Put some bushmaster on it for a few weeks. It will stop the stretching. Good idea on the pruining. I call them "suckers".

3. How do you apply this bushmaster? I can't find anywhere on the net to buy it. I live in England.

And you recommend pruning those bottom stems?

4. within the first week of flwring or so, pluck off any usless branches ur colas will be bigger and denser...:smoking:

5. Dwarf, yeah the undergrowth will develop slower to a point where its pointless to keep them suckers on. Just snip them, and like dude said, the other colas will get the nutrients that the suckers would otherwise waste.

On the bushmaster note: If you are across the pond I'm not sure if it (bushmaster) has made it across yet. Hydroponic shops here in the states carry it or similar products. Pretty much you add a small batch of Bushmaster several times a day for the first 2-4 weeks of flowering. The plants won't stretch and the plants will stay compact with the same bud production.

Some of my friends use it with awesome results, others like the stretching aspect as it opens up the canopy so the undergrowth will have some light. It is one of those products you can do without, but I have been experimenting with it.

6. Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'm going to trim some lower branches tonight. I've tied my tallest girl today so that she's slightly bent over because she was getting a few inches taller than the others.

How small should the cuttings be? I'm thinking of maybe even trying to reveg one of the cuttings.

I'll let you know how it goes in a bit.

7. Also, I have a quick question. What should I be using when trimming? Would normal scissors be ok? Or a stanley-knife?

I'm thinking about sterilizing the blade by holding it under a lighter. Would this be ok?

8. to sterilize I would use rubbing alcohol and not flame. just imo

9. i would cut alot of the massive fan leaves off, let the light penetrate right through the plants. I usually just snap the branches and leaves of with my hands, maybe even use my nail. The fan leaves growing from the main stem IMO should go, also any leaves covering tops should go.

10. well im bye no means no expert but i thought the fan leaves played a part in the absorbtion of light for the buds to grow in the first place? maybe im stoned?

11. no your right but the buds like direct light, also all the fan leave on the branches will get bigger if they have the space to do so. I would recommend trimming most of the leaves that are bigger than ur hand.