My Generation Ruined Music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Black_Chamber, Sep 2, 2009.

1. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qQdw7Xpv4"]YouTube - Justin Bieber - One Time[/ame]

The state of music today is fucking depressing. There's been crap in every generation (80's butt rock, 90's boy bands, etc.) but I dont think mainstream music has ever been as bad as it is now. It's beyond terrible.

2. When I was 14 the Beatles were the Fab Four. Never been the same again.

3. Sadly I'm part of this generation but I hate the music so blaze on and load the ipod with quality tunes.

4. #4 The Hamburglar, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
    IF YOU LIKE/LISTEN TO MAINSTREAM HIP-HOP AND YOU ARE OFFENDED EASILY, DON'T READ

-----------------------------------------

I'm completely with ya.

Ever since it became, "Cash, cars, and ho's", mainstream music went downhill. UI remember a few years back, just before music went down shit's creek, my local "Hip-Hop" radio station, Jamn 94.5, used to have a special slot for old-school hip-hop and classics. Now that's gone. They used to play tracks from artists like Dr. Dre, Nas, etc... Now what do they play? LADY GAGA. It's like the stations don't even give a rats ass about good music.

The DJ's just play the corny ass, synthed up, pop that they call Hip-Hop, They glue a fake ass smile to their face, and then say, "This is the hottest shit out there!" just so the stupid majority of the US can believe him and buy the artists records.

Becoming successful these days is too easy. Back in the day you had to actually DIG through stacks and stacks of records just to get ONE sample for a track, cut and organize samples on a peice of hardware (versus now you can do it all easily on a computer), and physically/mentally put together a track from what you found. Now, all you need to do is download the free demo to a shitty DAW liek Fruity Loops, find some shitty free VST's, adn figure out how to right click a mouse. THEN, you find the magical "Mainstream Music Saver" (Also known as Auto-Tune) and talk (Not actually sing or rap) into a Mic. Your press a few buttons, take a dump on your keyboard, blow a few record label execs, and there you go. Your rich and famous.

Artists like Lil' Wayne, T-Pain, etc... don't need any skill to do what they do as artists. They get producers to make their beats for them, they find the first rhyme dictionary they can get their hands on, and they use auto tune to fix their terrible singing/rapping voice and to sound "unique" (even though close to every rapper uses it now).

It's all about the image not the music.

It's disgusting how bad the music has gotten. I've been thinking of sending hate mail and suggestions to all of the local radio stations just so they know how they have taken a turn for the worse and were sucked into this mainstream B-S.

Thank god for underground hip hop.

/Rant

5. There is still plenty of great mainstream hip-hop, sometimes you just have to dig outside of the radio to find it.

6. True but it just aint the same as it use to be ya feel me? :(

7. Judging an entire generation based on some lousy (in your opinion) bands is pretty lame.

There are great bands from every generation, just as there are horrible ones.

8. I made my posts strictly to Mainstream hip-pop. I'm not rashing on any of the other genre's.

I'm not saying their aren't any good mainstream artists at all. I'm just saying the hip-hop station in my area went downhill from being good hip-hop/rap to cheesy mainstream rap and they don't PLAY the good mainstream artists.

9. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

[​IMG]

10. Video killed the radio star.

Do you understand what that means now?

It became all about the image, not the sound. :(

11. i hate that every new rap song has some dumb catchphrase

swagger, lean back, etc

like wtf

12. In Geneva, there is a fantastic place called the Usine... it's kind of grungy and dingy but the entrance is either free or inexpensive and the beer is cheap too. I love it. I am pleasantly surprised almost every time I go to see shows there. Whether it's a local punk band, some metal from Germany, even drum n' bass or GOA...

Look all I'm trying to say is you can't judge music on the mainstream industry... it's not a fair representation of musicians. Musicians live a life of freedom, not conforming their lyrics to be audience friendly or hiring people to write their songs for them... not hiring somebody to work on their "image".

True musicians write their material, and will stick to sharing the message THEY want shared... not the music their publicists want shared. I have the privilege to meet such musicians all the time which is why I say... no, this generation of music is not ruined. You just have to keep your eyes and ears wide open... wonderful music is everywhere.

13. "i had swagger back when it was called personality"

14. if one argued to say that some music produced by my generation is the worst ever, one could also argue to say that we also produced some of the best music ever... in the end it all comes down to individual opinion.

15. I know real music still exists in those hole in the wall clubs. I'm an underground head myself, so I know out there is still real music being created. But my main question is at any point in history has mainstream music been this bad? Has it ever been as dumbed down as it is now? I guess I could just ignore it, but this shit disgusts me too much

16. underground hip hop > music

17. Just ignore it man, those douchebags are not musicians... it's a money industry, not a music industry! It neither deserves your attention nor respect... unless there is the occasional genuinely talented gem in the rough....

18. All the good bands broke up or either stopped making albums or have sold out. All the good rappers either stopped making music or still do and fucking produce shitty music. I listen to mostly old rap cause thats when it was good now it fuckin blows...

19. The last mainstream track that I like was Rick Ross - Magnificent because of the amazing beat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOynXe7DVU]YouTube - Rick Ross - Magnificent Ft. John Legend[/ame]

:smoking:

20. hay OP, main stream music has always sucked. i mean how can you forget about the 80 main stream? But still underground bands put out quality music.

Proof that main stream sucked 25 years ago:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840B27zYfOk]YouTube - Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart[/ame]