My garden

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by DankSeeker, Apr 25, 2011.

1. If you want to see the epitomy of companion planting on a micro level; i.e. on a few acres of land, research permaculture. Fasinating take on being selfsufficient.

2. definately interesting, i've never really deemed it permaculture but in my three years of gardening i have become increasingly interested in a substainable garden, this year i plan on saving seed from my tomatoes, jalapenos, spinach, and maybe begginning with my first year of carrots so i can grow some of those out for seed next year, also using bunnies in your greenhouse to provide BTU's(basically heat units in the colder months) as well as fertilizer is a good idea that i may utilize this or next year:)
    but companion planting is def something i need to do more research on, i think i'll start with the three sisters though:)
    oh and throw in a fourth sister that will move out at an early age and live on her own(MJ) :)

3. Now you're thinking outside the box. Good luck, because what has started out wanting to grow a few mj plants and maybe a tomato plant or two has taken on a life of it's own. Now I'm developing a 5 year plan that will hopefully result in my own take on permaculture.

4. yea, i've already dreamed of growing all my own bud right along side all my own food...:rolleyes: man i'm a dreamer, but thats part of why i wanna grow bud, it may help me to realize my super expensive dreams haha

5. #25 DankSeeker, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
    Here's some more shots of the known strains and the Blue Dream that didn't take.
    Also, 2 closeup budshots of the Purple Kush and Blue Dream.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Blue Dream 1 day 29 into flower from 10" clone.
    [​IMG]Side shot of Dream 2 on day 15 of flower
    [​IMG]Blue Dream Day 29 into flower. Look at all the icing!!![​IMG]Side shot of Purple Kush day 29 into flower. What density!!![​IMG]Side by side of Blue Dream 1 & 2.
    [​IMG] The first Blue Dream at day 29 into flower
    [​IMG].Purple Kush Icing up nice.

6. DankSeeker

I had 3 'salad tables' built this year for the deck. Cedar was the wood that I went with. I'm going to plant the 'mesculin salad mix' seeds in one table, culinary herbs in another and some medicinal herbs in the other.

We also put in about 200 s.f. beds in the front yard. The native soil on this property is without merit so I had to bring in a planting mix and I found this organic product for $45.00 per yard - link

Check out the composition of this planting mix. Pretty stellar product especially considering the price, IMHO

LD

7. DankSeeker

If you're into growing out huge amounts of biomass for composting or teas you'd be hard-pressed to find a better collection of seeds than this one from Horizon Herbs in Southern Oregon.

Included in this pack of 18 seeds ($29.95) are as follows: Astragalus, Holy Basil (Kapoor Tulsi), Gobo Burdock, Mixed Calendula, German Chamomile, Echinacea purpurea, Elecampane, Evening Primrose, Brown Flax, Lemon Balm, Marshmallow, Official Motherwort, Stinging Nettles, Cayenne Pepper, Garden Sage, Official Valerian, Wood Betony and Yarrow.

Have them add a couple of the non-invasive comfrey cultivar roots (Bocking 14 aka Russian Cultivar) for chump change and you're moving and grooving to a moon-aged child.

I got this seed pack and 4 root clumps for $47.95 delivered. I thought it was/is a great deal.

HTH

LD

8. LD
    Thank you for stopping by. Thanks for the link. Might be a bit overkill for my little chunk of rented dirt, but I have a 5 year plan to hopefully start my take on permaculture.
    Who knows, could end up neighbors. Oregon is 1 of 2 states we're considering a move to. We've lived just outside Eugene for bit. Nice area.
    In the meantime, this little deck garden along with 10 various fruit trees that are in this dbl lot suburbia back yard is my test tube.

9. #29 DankSeeker, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
    It's been a little over 24 hours since applying a neem oil treatment to the entire outside garden, inside houseplants and the beloved cannabis supremo.:smoke:
    I was so loaded with fungus gnats, inside and outside, I was afraid of getting a dose of bug protein with every bowl. :eek:
    All kidding aside though; I had the ladies and babies decently controlled, but I know that they'd were not finished because I hadn't broke the life cycle.
    I found that all the bagged stuff in every home and nursery center I visited is infested. Big problem around here.
    So, needless to say, my vegetable garden must be a breeding ground for them.
    I also have noticed a large infestation of aphids on my squash. Ahh, spring is here. The battle begins for those of us that utilize the fireball in the sky to grow.

Anyway...the first signs were very encouraging. I saw very, very few fungus gnats and aphids.
    I did notice 2 squash plants that still had a quit a few aphids still, but far less than yesterday.
    I have another insecticide tea I'll be fermenting in next few days with a bit more neem seed oil.
    Pics of the ladies in a couple days.

10. Dank

Have you played with lavender tea?

Just about as effective as neem/karanja oil, IMHO

LD

11. #31 DankSeeker, Apr 27, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Dank

Run this test - take your FRESH lavender flowers (separated from the stalk) and puree with an equal amount of water and THEN let it sit.

This process alone will vastly increase the tea's viability.

LD

13. #33 DankSeeker, Apr 27, 2011
    Kinda thought it might. Been saving up the spent flowers. Tomorrow I'll fish those out and clip the rest of the fresh ones and blend everything.
    Ferment without air to 3.5 or less, with 3.2 being optimal, correct?
    Can I store any unused tea? If so, for how long?

14. Lump,

I picked up some Spanish Lavender plants at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago. They're an early blooming variety and have started to wither a bit. I read that they bloom a few times a year, so they will flower again once or twice.

My question is " Is the Spanish Lavender equally as efficacious as the local varieties" and "can I use the withered flowers/leaves/stalks"? Also can I cut them back and expect them to rebound?

Thanks for your input.

chunks

15. #35 DankSeeker, Apr 27, 2011
    This is meant for LD, but I can answer part of it.
    From what I read, you can basically give a crew cut. Grab a bunch of the flowers in one hand and cut it just below the flower stalks. There's your tea material. No harm to the plant.
    Or you can meticulous cut each flower as they are spent to encourage more flower growth and just let them air dry as this cheap sob is doing. lol
    The rest of this is for our mentor, LD.

16. CD or DS

Do either of you know anything about using an 'oil' to extract compounds from plant material?

The reason that I'm asking is that Liberty Naturals and Mountain Rose Herbs sell a wide variety of extracts. Some are alcohol extracted, CO2 is another and then there are the oil based extracts.

A couple of search links talked about soaking plant material in mineral oil? Does that make any sense at all?

And another question - a couple of weeks back I was introduced to a gentleman who said that he is a 'certified aroma-therapist' - whatever that means. I asked him about the use of lavender flowers in his work and he told me something that I found interesting: "Lavender plants produce compounds (secondary metabolites) which initially attract insects and other compounds kill them"

I think that he has some facts on his side. About 4 miles from our home is a commercial lavender grower (300 acres) and they do not use any pesticides as it's not required according to the owner.

Back to the oil extraction method - any ideas?

LD

17. If you take and add 1/4 cup of lavender tea to your gallon neem oil mix you'll deliver a double whammy on the mites.

Lavender kills within a few hours whereas the neem works to disrupt the eating and reproductive cycle of the mite population. Which is why you see comments at garden sites (regular and cannabis) that 'Neem oil didn't do anything! I sprayed it on my plants and next day they were still there! Should I try Floramite next?"

That would be my suggestion!

LD

18. Take a fresh aloe vera leaf and cut the end off. Start at the tip and work down pushing out the gel. It will be about 2x as thick as neem oil.

When you have about 2 tablespoons you're good to go. Add 1/16 tsp. of the powdered seaweed extract, same amount of humic acid (powder - BioAg TM-7 is your best choice) and liquid fulvic acid. Stir to mix well. Add 1/16 tsp. of Pro-TeKt.

You can NOT store this any longer than 30 minutes. Aloe vera juice contains benzoic acid which begins to ferment in minutes. This why manufacturers of aloe vera extracts often use sodium benzoate (sodium salt of benzoic acid) along with citric acid and potassium sorbate to arrest and stop the fermentation.

Aloe leaves are sold through wholesale produce houses. I'm paying $30.00 for 16 lbs. which is a sh*t load of leaves. The spent leaves are a good addition to both compost piles and worm bins though you'll probably want to chop them up for the worms.

LD

LD

19. I have been keepig up with your thread. I am planning on doing a raised bed veggie garden in addition to my cannabis garden.