Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My friend messed up

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Rocknroll4ever, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Ok so heres the deal. Me and my friend have known each other for years now and it wasnt that long ago that he got into smoking. ( I didnt start until a while after ) Maybe it was about a year ago he started. From then on he began to change for the worse. His music taste, his friends, his personality. And sadly, from last year to this, he has gotten progressively worse and worse until the point he decided he wanted to run away from his parents just recently. ( Don't worry, we are 18 )

So a year ago he was a really good football player and we were also in a band together and was proving to be a great bass player for being relatively new to the instrument. He had good drive and was motivated in everything he did. He had everything going for him at the time. He was a really good friend.

Fast forward a year and he slowly began letting smoking become his entire life. It was all he talked about whenever i saw him. He no longer cared about our band. And our band actually had played a few gigs already so we werent bad. He was too lazy to play sports or do anything we used to do. He began to go to another friends house and smoked his days away. And then his parents tell him that they were going to drug test him and if he failed put him into rehab, so he up and left. Didnt tell anybody, not me, or anybody else. Now he is probably at that other guys house just smoking all day doing nothing wasting his life.

I'm thinking I might end up giving up smoking after seeing what has become of him, even though he did end up doing a bit more than that. From seeing all this happen I would never want to introduce anyone new to weed now. I would feel terrible if this happened to them because i would feel it would be my fault. Some people seem to let it get out of control and i dont want any more of my friends to end up like that. Ones enough. I wouldnt want to risk a friends health for stuff that isnt truly necessary.

So of course im devastated by this. I pretty much watched my friends life go down the shitter all within about a year. This couldnt be any worse right now. Just had to get this off my chest. :( Sorry to be such a downer im just really upset.

2. #2 Nargela, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
    This what makes me mad, when people that smoke let it take over there life.. Makes the government think its addictive. Personally this happened to alot of my friends but its there choice what can you do? Talk to him tell him look at your self in 20 years where are you gonna be? Otherwise leave him alone and pray for him. Thats all you can do.

3. This kind of thing is what made me so reluctant to try pot.

I dunno what to tell you. Sometimes pot just brings out the idiot inside of people.
    Personally, it makes me more motivated and focused, but he seems like a guy who was that way sober.

4. Certain people are not meant to smoke. It affects everyone differently; your friend just so happens to be the unlucky one who cannot handle smoking without making it his whole life. Best thing for those individuals is to quit. Don't let this put you off weed, if you are intelligent enough to see what its done to him, you have the intellect to stop yourself from becoming him. Look at this as a way of growing as a smoker: use this to show you what not to do because really, all this shows is moderation is key to smoking.

5. Same kinda shit happened to my friends. We moved to college, they got their own apartment and 4 of us started smoking too heavily. Now two of us still scraped by in school...but the other two completely fucked it and failed all their classes both semesters. Didn't even go to classes to take exams. They lost all their financial and parental aid...and aren't going back to school. Sucks...i have alot to work on in school but o lost two of my best friends

6. If that's what he wants to do and it makes him happy then who are you to tell him how to live his life? Weed doesn't make decisions for you, ultimately it's you making them.

7. As true as this is, you are assuming that he is not 'psychologically addicted.' no, I am not one of the idiots saying weed is addictive, but people are prone to feel a psychological addiction to anything that they grow used to. If you believe you are addicted to something, you can cause yourself to form an addiction where, though you may not have a physical need for it, you feel 'at loss' with out it. If this is the case for him, it isn't his individual decision, its a decision based on a fear of dependance.

If this isn't the case however, it is, by all means, his choice how he wants to live; we all have a different view of an ideal lifestyle. Personally, I could never commit that much to weed as the fun of being high is that its a difference from everyday life. Once it becomes everyday life, whats the fun?

8. Shtuff like this happens all the time. Its all about moderation

9. First of all, 18 year olds don't run away from home, they move out. Secondly, parents can't make their 18 year old go to rehab. If your buddy didn't want to go to rehab he simply had to refuse to go. And third, weed doesn't change people into lazy incompetents. There is something else going on in your friends life that has him coming unravelled. He probably uses drugs because he doesn't know how to deal with what's unravelling before him. Those things have nothing to do with you. Weed doesn't make anyone do anything. People do what they're going to do regardless of whatever drug they're using at the time. I think it is so ridiculous when people start blaming weed for their laziness, or incompetence, or for the laziness and incompetence of someone else. The two have nothing to do with each other, but some people think they just have to have an excuse. So let's all blame the bud. :rolleyes:

10. Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault that your friend has no self control.

11. #12 Rocknroll4ever, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
    I wasnt saying its ALL because of the bud man im just saying i think that was part of the problem. His parents didnt approve of it so yeah, that creates a problem when he smokes as heavily as he did. Like i said he did other types of stuff too. And by running away i meant left without telling any friends or family at all except maybe the one i think he went to. Thats not moving out. Thats running away from friends and family, from the people that care about you. And yes, he basically quit doing everything else to be high all the time. Its upsetting.

Edit: And i dont mean bud is a problem for everybody. Just certain people.

12. For each burnout, there's a successful stoner doing well in college in my opinion. With my friends, i've had this happen to one of the smartest, and coolest of my friends. Luckily he moved out and is going to college in the fall.

13. Totally his fault, he'll pay for it in the future.

14. Yeah personally, I do well with weed, it makes me happier, nicer to be around, and helps me focus.

For him, he probably should stop. Some people have addictive personalities and maybe he just needs to go to rehab.