My friend just went to rehab...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by AK123089, Sep 8, 2010.

1. And I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm sorry, this is a bit long, but it's a long story.

I always make jokes that he's my out of state "rebound", but honestly, he's someone I've been friends with since we were extremely young, I've always had feelings for him, and he and I have had off and on relations for about 2 years now... and have been great friends through all of it because we only hooked up when I was down there visiting my family; otherwise, I'm 1400 miles away from him.

I knew he went through some interesting things when he went to an out of state school... got into some drugs he shouldn't have (mostly psychadelics/X), probably got into some dealings he shouldn't have been involved in, and I didn't know the whole extent and I never asked, because when he left the school, I thought he only kept up with marijuana.
    His reasons for smoking were generally to help with his insomnia, and I knew he was smoking during the day too, but being so far away from him, I thought he had it under control.

I flew down to Louisiana to visit him a few weeks ago, we smoked a few times throughout the trip, hung out, and were our weird sorta together, but not really selves.

Things got weird after I left, because they normally get that way after we see each other, but we were staying in decent contact like we normally do.

He stopped responding to my texts, and I figured he was just being weird or dealing with some weird feelings, and he has a tendency to drop off the face of the earth sometimes, so I didn't let it bother me.

I ended up texting him about the random MJ plant that popped up in my family's yard, sent him a picture, and made a joke about not being the one that planted it. He didn't respond, I didn't think too much of it.

My cousin called me today (her and some other family live in his town and are good friends with his family), and said his mom had called her to tell me what's been going on; he apparently went to his family, admitted he had substance abuse problem that he only started because of trying to sleep. He felt that it had gotten out of control and became too much of a habit. His family pitched in the money, and on Friday he flew out to Las Vegas for rehab. (I'm worried because I think she read the last messages I sent him about the MJ plant in my yard, and I don't want her thinking I was a contributor to his problems)

He'll be there for 90 days, can't make phone calls or receive them for a couple weeks, and can't send or receive mail yet. I intend to write him once I get the address, but I'm worried.

When he's out, I don't know how different he's going to be. I don't know if this rehab was for other drugs he was getting into or if it's about quitting smoking too.
    I have no dependencies on marijuana, I don't do any other drugs, it's not an end all be all for me, and I have no intentions of quitting.

I feel like if he doesn't distance himself from me, I could be almost an enabler or a temptation into picking it up again. I will make a point not to mention smoking to him, not to do it around him when I next see him, and all of that, but I think I'm most afraid that if this makes him quit, he'll judge me for it or hold it against me. I don't want that. I want to continue being friends/whatever with him while keeping up with what bit of smoking I do.

It just hit me like a ton of bricks because I really thought, that overall, his issues with other drugs were over, and he never really mentioned it. I don't know what made him break because he was so into marijuana and all of the benefits he felt he got from smoking it. It'd be wrong of me to hope it was for the other substances and that he didn't let something like marijuana affect him to the point of feeling like he needed to quit permanently, but even if he comes out feeling that way, I don't want him to jump back into it and spiral back into other things.

Sorry, I'm rambling, but my thoughts are so mixed up about this...

Anyone else? Thoughts?

2. he will not have changed
    my cousin went to a mental institution becouse of heavy psychedelic shrooms, speed, sleaping pills and wiskey usage
    he was in there for about 3-4 months when he came out he never judged people about using not even when he saw iit
    by far it will do him good back to reality all of a sudden he could smile again :D
    so i wouldent be to worried about him changing or judging u about ur usage of MJ
    its good that he took the step of rehab himself
    this will alsow speed up the proced becouse he alreaddy atmist he has a problem and needs help
    my cousin was restrained by 5 medics while they just put a needle of morfine in his arm to calm him down
    so if such a person can fully recover than your friend will to :D
    gl with everything:smoke:

3. You mentioned that you felt he should distance himself from you. Perhaps he needs your friendship and support to help him make it through to the other side?

4. Your friend will need you in these hard times. It's not your fault your friend went down this path. He admitted to his issues and is seeking help to better his life. I myself have had sleep insomnia and never tried any other drug besides Cannabis for the symptoms.

5. Ah wow that blows. I am sure he wont suddenly become some crazy narc or anything, and wont judge you for weed, after all he has been there done that. Maybe its all for the heavier drug use not marijuana also. Just get into contact before you start the unnecessary worry(easier said then done yeah sorry).

Are you also afraid if he stops smoking you will have less in common and less things to bond and do things with? I know I fear that with my friends a bit too.

I know what you mean when you say he can fall off the face of the earth. My bestfriend is like that sometimes, like just doesnt reply, cuts off text conversations and can be odd socially, as in it appears it doesnt bother her and she doesnt need it. But I know she has gone through and goes through shit from time to time so I know not to pry all the time or get angry.

I guess wait it out and see what happens when you make contact, tell him what you have said here, let it out. :smoke:
    Goodluck.

6. i have had many friends go to rehab and they usually come out the same unless they truly want to change.But it sounds like you guys were pretty down, but rehab is a total mind fuck. and he might distance himself to gather his thoughts, but if he dosent yeah dont bring up smoking.and treat him normal cuz when you go to rehab and people give you wierd vibes it just idk its annoying and sucks.best wishes dude

7. Nah, I'm not afraid we won't have anything in common. I guess I'm just worried that he's going to be a completely different person that I will no longer be able to relate to. We have many common interests outside of smoking, but I've never had a friend go through something like this, and I'm a person that worries about everything too much.

8. I had a friend whos parents sent him to some pretty hardcore rehab place.. From what he told me, they would all go out into the desert and live off the land under the supervision of a guide of course... and then the last week they had to make their own spoons and were isolated from the group into their own camps.. the only time he saw someone was when they brought him food he said.. not sure if its bullshit but.. he seemed pretty honest and showed me a pic of him in the desert with a big beard.

AFTER he got out of rehab he did drugs again. Something has to really change in someone to quit hard shit..

9. I intend to write him. My cousin is getting his address for me. I will obviously be there for him in any way I can. I guess my feelings for him are getting in the way and I'm worried I may lose him over this.

I want him to get help, I want him to get his life sorted out, but I guess I'm worried I'll get shafted in the end. Sounds selfish, but maybe it won't happen that way.