My friend had a siezure that was probably an overdose, help :(

Discussion in 'General' started by Marls, Jul 12, 2009.

1. So my two friends who are brothers are on vacation at the beach with their whole family, John and Larry lets say. Well for awhile they were totally bored with no weed connects or anything and then suddenly they meet some cool people and start going to parties and bonfires and shit. So I am talking to Larry two nights ago, and he mentions that he found some weird Rx medication in their rental house and was gonna try it, he said it was called tram-something.

Anyways, I was talking to John later, who was out at some chicks house and was wondering why Larry hadn't come with him, I had totally forgot about the weird medication he found and remarked that it was indeed odd. The next night, Larry decided to stay in again and watch TV...

I get a text from him later telling me he had a seizure and went to the hospital. I asked what he took, he said nothing, and that there was no reason for it. The doctors suspected a tumor or infection and scanned his brain, found nothing wrong and figured he would have to have more tests.

I was curious and was talking to his brother, and I remarked that Larry had said something about a drug. So John asks him about it and he becomes defensive and angry telling him to drop it. So me and John do some research and I check my texts and see that he was talking about Tramadol. We check and see that the number one side effect is seizures, vomiting, and nausea, all symptoms he had.

He denied it at first, but then told me he took 350mgs the first day, and 400 the next. He tried to convince me that both dosages were within safe limits, my wonderful mother, being a doctor, told me that the recommended dosage of 200mgs will cause seizures and that is why she stopped prescribing it. He also takes some sort of skin medication that potentiates it.

He still disagreed with me, and I finally convinced him that he did OD, but he refuses to tell his parents or his doctor because he says the repercussions with his family would be to bad. So I talked to his brother, who is going to tell him to tell his parents or he is going to tell them himself. You are never supposed to rat anyone out, unless someones getting hurt is what I have learned since pre-school.

What do you guys think? Addiction and drug problems run in his family, in the last few months he has been doing really wierd things like doing ecstacy alone and lieing about it to us. He was never going to tell anyone about this Tramadol, he would rather be diagnosed with generalized seizure disorder, inhibiting him to get health insurance in the future. If he comes clean he will probably have to see some sort of pshyciatrist, but maybe that is in his best intrest...

Just felt like writing it out. He is telling me to convice his brother not to tell his parents. :(

2. Was it Traminol?

3. Oh, read the rest, right. Sorry I'm tired and :smoke: right now.

Sorry to hear man, really shitty situation to be in, but do what you think is best man, i'm sure in the long run he will respect that.

4. is that even a question? Prescription medication is only for the people they are prescribed to. A lot of people abuse shit now days and don't fucking understand that. :mad: There's a lot of terrible drugs, and there's a lot of idiots. YES FUCKING TELL HIS PARENTS. what could be worse than him not learning his lesson? seriously.

5. His brother gave him an ultimatum, either tell their parents himself or he will tell them by tommorow. Sigh.

6. if I were you I would have told his parents without even thinking about it. you are fucking with your friends life.

7. thats crazy
    when i took tramadol i would take at least 400mgs - 200mgs
    did ur friend already have seziure issues?

8. Theres nothing you can do if he wont be truthful with a doctor, and doctors arent even allowed to say anything.

9. Deffiently tell his parents.

The next time he has a seizure, hows he going to get the propper treatment if hes lied to everyone, and hes parents dont know?

Having a Mum who's a doctor you should allready know that the first few hours of treatment is the most important, and you can't be treated properly unless people know whats wrong with you.

And if he gets shitty and doesnt speak to you again? so fucking what, let him be a self destructive looser, atleast you wont have to feel guilty at his funeral becuase you held back important Information.

10. This. Think about it.

11. Yeah, like TBH, Tramadol is a pussy pill compared to other shit. I mean if he OD'ed on tramadol, he must have taken like 20.

I took 5, drank 2 beers, and got called into work. (Which is the worst ever)But I drove like that and was still fine. I was floating on a fucking cloud, but I was fine.

12. Every pill in this universe is dangerous if taken in excess. It doesn't matter how strong it is, if you overdose on any pill you can die.

If you ask me, a seizure sounds pretty fucking serious.

13. Yes, 100% true, I dont deny that. But its like taking 5 Tylenol.

There is so much filler in them, its a fancy Advil, or Bayer

14. If you don't tell his parents, I'm going to e-slap you.

Not because you'd be dumb not to (which you would), but because I know what it's like to know potentially dangerous situations friends are in, and not telling their parents, and trust me, shit can get fucked up. Do it now, so they can monitor him, because he appears to need help. He'll thank you one day.

15. I know exactly what Wet Horse Lips is talking about.

You'd rather your friend be mad at you than dead.
    Come clean, and let him know the reasons why.

16. tramadol's suck, i like the buzz from hydrocodones better and even at small doses(100-200mg) of tramadol you still run the risk of having a seizure, a lot of people have seizures from tramadol actually.

17. I hope your friend turns out ok from all of this, seizures are nothing to fuck around with.

And yes, his parents need to be told, it doesn't sound like your friend is going to tell them, so I hope his brother follows through.

I know it sounds shitty right now, but from what you have told us OP, your friend sounds like he is headed down a dangerous path, and while its up to him to ultimately want to get help, letting him know you are worried and care about him is more important.

Like a few people said already, he may be pissed at you at first, but its better than you being angry at yourself if something happens to him.

18. Tell his parents.

Kids these days are so stupid and will take anything they think will give them a buzz, its sad really.