Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My first time making infused coconut oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by jameslahey, Mar 27, 2014.

1. I got a deal on an ounce of Shake the other day. I smoked some of it but I figured I could put it to better use. The process that I used is pretty easy so ill write out the recipe that I used. It turned out very well for my first time trying. I'm already working on my second batch with a few tweaks trying to find that sweet spot.

Materials I used
    3/4 oz shake and popcorn buds
    1/3 cup coconut oil
    1 small dash margarine
    Distilled water
    Crockpot
    Wire strainer
    Cheese cloth
    Canning jar
    Tin foil

First i decarbed the shake in the oven at around 225 for 45 minutes. This turns thca into the active thc. Google the process!

Then I took my coconut oil and out it in the crockpot on low to turn it from a solid to a liquid.

After it was completely melted I added my decarbed herbs along with 3 cups of Distilled water.

I left the crockpot on high stirring often for about an hour, then switched it to low, stirring less often.

After 6 hours but up to 24 hours turn crockpot off and let cool for about a half hour.

Take your cheesecloth and fold it over a few times so you can't see through it. Place in bottom of wire strainer and pour your oil through, draining into the glass jar. Make sure to scrape your crockpot and then squeeze your cheesecloth to make sure you get every last drop.

Throw jar with oil in the fridge. It took maybe 6 hours for the oil and water to separate, with the oil being at th top of the jar. You can scoop it out with a spoon then run the rest through the strainer again.

Leave the oil out in a warm place for a few hours to evaporate any water that may be left to prevent molding, then you can put it back into your jar after it's been washed and you're left with very potent cannabis infused coconut oil. It can be substituted with butter for any baking recipe for heated into a liquid and substitute vegetable oil.

My final product looked like this
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1395883847.055590.jpg

Very easy recipe for beginners in the edible world, such as myself.

2. You listed margarine but I didn't see at what point you incorporated it into the recipe. Why did you use that exactly?

Also I will add from experience, do NOT use water if you can avoid it. I've had decent results using water in the past. However, if you plan to store at room temp, it will turn completely rancid even if you think you removed all the water. Man one time I almost puked when I was about to take a dose out of an oral syringe that was coconut oil made with water. Never again!

Just for the record, did you know that margarine shares almost the same molecular structure as plastic? I used to use it until I heard of what it's really made of.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #3 jameslahey, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    Sorry. To clarify I added the margarine in at the same time as the water, just to add some more fatty oil for the cannabanoids to bond to.

Also I let sit out for a few hours to evaporate any moisture and then sealed it in and air tight container and stuck it in the fridge. I didn't make a large enough batch to store extra after whatever I planned to cook with it anyways. More of a beginner, one time recipe then a large batch.

I didn't know about the margarine, I suppose you could use real butter or lard, basically anything fatty. I just personally prefer margarine over real butter.

All in all, I made chocolate chip muffins and i was too medicated to response to this post yesterday, so I'm calling it a success. I will just have to eat less if I have things to accomplish.

4. Awesome! Glad it worked out great for ya.

Do me a favor though, research the difference between margarine and butter, then respond later and tell me if you still have the same preference ;)

5. That sounds similar to the process of how hot dogs are made. I would just rather not know haha.

6. @[member="KillerKush87"] Ive heard others using water in a similar preparation as above with coconut oil and making caps with it... they stored theirs in a fridge... do you think that would prevent them from going rancid?  or eventually it will turn?

7. Caps would be good but it seems like a lot of wasted effort. It's not very hard to get the oil down just with a spoon and some water.